X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Infinite Monkeys
    Apprentice
    • Aug 24 2017

Ethanol free gas

I just learned about this, seems ethanol free gas is still available in many states. I have to go about 30 + miles one way to get some, but it'll be worth it. Can't see driving that far just to get gas, but to have some on hand to use in small engines and for storage for my pontoon boat is going to be nice.

Here's a link to search if it's near you.

Pure-gas.org is the definitive web site listing stations that sell pure gasoline in the U.S. and Canada.
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Small local airports sell leaded fuel and so do marinas. It ain't cheap but it's real gas. This has always been the case. Some of the more serious car racers around here have always bought 100 octane airplane gasoline.

I called the closest place to my house for ethanol-free gasoline. They want $3.39/gal., cash price. - Dave
    Last edited by simplyconnected; October 13, 2017, 08:14 AM.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Joe Johnston
      Super-Experienced
      • Dec 23 2008

In FL many WAWA and Racetrack stations have E-0 available, especially the newer stations, but often it does not show up on websites. Here it costs about 20% more, but its all I use in the Thunderbirds and small engines. Your 30 mile trip is just a nice warm up drive and an excuse to drive your Bird!

Comment

• Infinite Monkeys
        Apprentice
        • Aug 24 2017

Good to know about the 100 octane at airports. I'll call and see if the local airport has it. If they do and depending on cost, I'll use it in my Mustang and get a re-tune. I think it'll be good for another 50 HP. Right now I have a 91 octane tune.
        Thanks.

Comment

• mh434
          Comfortably numb
          • Jan 10 2017

Originally posted by simplyconnected
          Small local airports sell leaded fuel and so do marinas. It ain't cheap but it's real gas. This has always been the case. Some of the more serious car racers around here have always bought 100 octane airplane gasoline.

I called the closest place to my house for ethanol-free gasoline. They want $3.39/gal., cash price. - Dave
          Good grief, send me a few gallons Dave. Standard unleaded over here is running about $6.85 / imperial gallon

Jon
          Jon
          Deepest Hertfordshire
          Old enough to know I'm right...
          1960 Hardtop T'bird
          1961 Hotchkiss M201

Comment

• Joe Johnston
            Super-Experienced
            • Dec 23 2008

Yes it does cost a bit more than regular but still worth it to me. Often use it in my new cars too, but I don't realize 20% more mileage from the 20% increase in price over E-10 regular. Not really beneficial in new cars but I always use it in everything else.

Comment

• del
              Retired Expert Enthusiast
              • May 11 2010

Call ahead first...

Fortunately I can get 91 octane ethanol free just a couple miles from home here in Buffalo area, and due to our location on Lake Erie and lots of boating, the are dozens of choices here within a 15 mile radius. We can get 93 non-E if you're willing to hunt around for it.

I've tried using that pure-gas.org site to locate non-E gas in PA and IN the past two seasons and been disappointed because I didn't call ahead and found that the online info was out of date. My own fault and I should have learned better the first time! Be sure to get their hours when you call.
              Regards,
              Don Vincent
              Amherst NY
              1960 HT 352
              TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• pbf777
                Experienced
                • Jan 9 2016

Note that "100 octane airplane gasoline" is not available for automotive applications particularly if known to be used on the streets of the good old U.S.A., per E.P.A. & the road tax collector.

This may make it somewhat challenging to acquire, and I would be surprised if any retail outlet would permit you to pump it directly into you T-Bird's tank.

Generally, one must be somewhat deceptive to purchase 100LL at the airport (not for your plane); as not having the airport tanker rolling up to your aircraft to dispense the volume required would be atypical.

The process will require one to appear at the airport with fuel cans; and in areas where airboats are common, declare this is your intended application; the vender perhaps may invoke a certain..... latitude, and permit the filling of your fuel jugs for such use. But, maybe not, as some may only permit pumping directly into the airboat's fuel tank at the airport!

Another process (still w/ fuel cans) involves one acquiring an airplane registration number off of an aircraft, perhaps out of regular view of the attendant and supply such, declaring you normally fly out of a private airstrip where no fuel is available, and..... you have miscalculated your fuel consumption and are stranded there short of fuel. Still, you may be denied.

Smaller airports, further from metropolitan areas tend to be more lenient, even some to the point where they may even help you circumvent the rules to acquire the 100LL.

Keep in mind, if your carburetor is properly jetted (tuned) for "pump grade" fuels, reevaluating such will most probably be required for "ideal" operation on 100LL (a different topic).

Scott.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Originally posted by pbf777
                  ...Smaller airports, further from metropolitan areas tend to be more lenient, even some to the point where they may even help you circumvent the rules...
                  Then, where is the problem? I have NEVER heard of anyone turned away or grilled for a reason to buy ANY kind of gasoline. As long as you have a safe means to remove it and money to buy, you're in. Repeat business is even MORE welcome.

Yep, I can 'see' it now... "Well son, we know you want gas but what are you going to put it in?"

"My snow mobile, motorcycle, lawnmower, weed whacker, power generator, edge trimmer, truck, tractor, chain saw, boat and my race car."

"Well, in THAT case, it's ok."

And, it IS ok. The only permit you need are those certificates with dead presidents gracing the paper. Like any product, they buy low and sell high to turn a profit.

But wait, let's forget about aircraft, what about real racing fuel? ASC Racing Fuels advertise 112-118 octane.
                  "Our fuels can be bought directly through us or at one of our many vendors facilities throughout the Midwest.

All of our fuels are available in 5 & 55 Gallon Drum quantities. BULK shipments are available as well!

Contact us at (800) 828-6695. We have the capability to ship fuel anywhere in the United States."

Do you really think anyone cares about small quantities of airplane gas? The EPA is more concerned about the disposal of your container. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• pbf777
                    Experienced
                    • Jan 9 2016

Then, where is the problem? I have NEVER heard of anyone turned away or grilled for a reason to buy ANY kind of gasoline. - Dave
                    Well, I guess YOU just lack any extensive personal experience in purchasing fuels not intended or approved for "street" use, for consumption in your personal street driven automobile. My intention was to explain through MY experiences, (purpose of this forum?) some of the difficulties one also might experience in the process of attempting to acquire the 100LL fuel from the airport.

If you wish to purchase "racing" fuel, I will be happy to ship some your way, as we are dealers for such "off-road" fuels of varying octane values.

And yes, you can bring your own D.O.T. approved container and we will fill that also, as we have fuels available in bulk as well as standardized containers.

BUT, we cannot "fill-her-up, & check-the-oil" as it is ILLEGAL for us to pump any of the "off-road" fuels directly into your road registered vehicle; and the fines would far outweigh the value of the transaction. And, you might be amazed (with some personal experience) at what the E.P.A. can find to be important and care about.

Scott.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

Originally posted by pbf777
                      ...And yes, you can bring your own D.O.T. approved container and we will fill that also, as we have fuels available in bulk as well as standardized containers.

BUT, we cannot "fill-her-up, & check-the-oil" as it is ILLEGAL for us to pump any of the "off-road" fuels directly into your road registered vehicle; and the fines would far outweigh the value of the transaction. And, you might be amazed (with some personal experience) at what the E.P.A. can find to be important and care about...
                      Right... I also buy nitro methane fuel in simple plastic containers from my local hobby store. Michigan is governed by the same Environmental Protection Agency as is Florida. I have NEVER had problems with them at Ford or anywhere else. They are great guys who will work WITH you. Tell you what, I'll continue buying my aviation fuel as I always have. I suggest you don't fight with the EPA down in Florida. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• newyear
                        Experienced
                        • Jan 4 2005

Fascinating subject.I'm thinking of driving North to find some of this additive...From the film "Whisky Galore" 1949
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Randy
                          Experienced
                          • Dec 21 2015

.Just looking at the link about fuels and what little I know about it and was thinking yeah I need some, Why is it that hard is beyond me, and we have refineries .
                          MI. 383 . https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MI .
                          and Fl. list 778. https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=FL .
                          Calif. 20 . https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=CA .
                          now I know the list is not up to date but here where I'm at I don't have much choice
                          and my gas is E85 and people are told that is the best for the environment, + gov. give big business lots of Incentives , and then its CA. so we should make our own illicit Hooch, you know for CARS. zoom
                          "You're never too old to become younger".! (M. West)
                          Randy's Save the Bird Foundation in Beautiful Fallbrook, California

!.This is the Greatest Square on Earth.!

Comment

• pbf777
                            Experienced
                            • Jan 9 2016

I also buy nitro methane fuel in simple plastic containers from my local hobby store. Michigan is governed by the same Environmental Protection Agency as is Florida. I suggest you don't fight with the EPA down in Florida. - Dave
                            The difficulty has to do with the intended application or use of the fuel, not the actual act of the transfer/sale from vender to end user. Selling one gallon (or less, generally) containers of "Nitro-Mix" at the hobby store is permitted because the intended application is "off-road" R.C. vehicles (toys), not governed (to a great degree, at this point; just don't pour it out on the ground!) by the E.P.A. or taxed due to road use. The aviation fuel's (100LL) intended use is for the aircraft market ("off-road"), the automotive racing fuels are also of "off-road" intention (race track), so much of the same rules apply here also.

But the snag is...... the vender IS supposed to establish that to the best of their knowledge, the materials are destine for the proper application! Hence, the sometimes, somewhat difficult hoops one may be required to jump thru, depending on how the vender chooses to execute their responsibility, in order to apply such off road fuels to one's own "road" vehicle.

Scott.

P.S. And thanks for the advise, Dave.

Comment

• Randy
                              Experienced
                              • Dec 21 2015

went to LAX today, and this link about fuel got me to thinking, {I know Randy's thinking that weird}. So off I go which is some about 80 miles from me a filling station that said it had the fuels you need, I don't need any but hey I'm on a quest, I left the house at 3am why not. this is what I found .............................[IMG]20171021_074846 by Randy harsha, on Flickr[/IMG]............................................................ .................the Lady said they just stop having it at the pumps i little while ago .[IMG]20171021_074922 by Randy harsha, on Flickr[/IMG]............................................................ ............................now the shocker $$$ ............................................................ .[IMG]20171021_074753-1 by Randy harsha, on Flickr[/IMG]............................................................ Hey Scott we need to get cheaper fuels here in CA. we can just set up a tanker on corner call it UBER FUEL pay off a few peep by the time weight and measures gets around to us we B Zillions-airs, yeah go UBER FUEL and then we can buy all Square members there choice of BIRDs that be fun. .................[IMG]20171021_074522 by Randy harsha, on Flickr[/IMG]...........................................................[IMG]20171021_074547 by Randy harsha, on Flickr[/IMG]
                              "You're never too old to become younger".! (M. West)
                              Randy's Save the Bird Foundation in Beautiful Fallbrook, California

!.This is the Greatest Square on Earth.!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎