No announcement yet.

Electric Fan Choice

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric Fan Choice

Thinking of going with an electric fan to help cool the radiator.
    Been checking out different ones, but looking for some input from the guys that have had success with this setup.

I have a 100amp alternator so power isn't an issue.

Any Thoughts?

Thanks!
  • tbird430
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 18 2007

I installed 2 Summit Racing 1200cfm fans in front of my radiator a while back. It worked well at times, I mean that b/c I am still "generated". During a car cruise, it would pull my battery down after ideling for like 15 minutes or so...

The fans were cheep though...
    sigpic
    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Looking to do the same.
      A guy at a t bird shop in Texas (need to find his #)
      Told me a Mercedes 2 fan combo. fits right in with no straps through the rad.I'll find his # and get back to ya.

Comment

• 59thunder
        Experienced
        • Jul 14 2006

hey skyd, what alt set up do you have? and how have you mounted it in place any pictures ould be great
        cheers

Comment

It was a few years ago, but I am 99% sure that this is the one.

there is a company that sells gen to alt coversion brackets. Be careful I ordered the wrong one and needed to fabricate a support bracket for the bold. I will get pics and the url for the proper bracket to use with no fabrication.

This is the bracket I went with. http://fordpowertrain.com/lowmount.htm the Newer FE blocks have a hole in the block for the bolt, ours do not.

This is the bracket I should've gone with. http://www-link.com/cgi-bin/odbic.ex...lientno=1681.0
          This has the bold attachment with it.

El guapo - Hopefully you can find that #, sounds like a good deal if they match up nice.

Comment

• byersmtrco
            Super-Experienced
            • Sep 28 2004

Alternator is the way to go if you're going to add pwr accesories like that (or big stereo systems)
            80 amp or better. Power fans draw ALLOT!!! I 'd keep a 6 or 7 blade in the stock location and run a pusher fan (Have both-only use elec when necc)
            The TB guy in Texas is Lance @ Thunderbird Southwest. he's in LaGrange. Cool guy!!!! Knows old Ford's (In & out)
            Knowing what I know now about disc brakes and susp upgrades, I'd have put my 60 on a truck and sent it to him!!!!
            He has a nice website.

Comment

Lance recomends an 80's Mercedes diesel push fan(bone yard) set @ 190 or 195 in conjuction with your pull fan.Say's their bulletproof and has I think 12 or 14 blades.I'm also installing a tranny cooler.Tru cool 18,000 gvw.

Comment

I've been researching a bit and I am suprised to see how many people are pro Clutch Fan. Has anyone installed a clutch fan? If so, form what car?

I am trying to do my homework B4 I move forward.

Stilled confused on which way to move, but definately need to loose the flex fan.

Comment

• RustyNCa
                  Super-Experienced
                  • May 31 2007

[quote=skyd;14751]

This is the bracket I should've gone with. http://www-link.com/cgi-bin/odbic.ex...lientno=1681.0
                  This has the bolt attachment with it.

Yep, I am running that bracket worked great, but I went with this alternator from Summit.

I did have to reclock the case to clear a part of the alternator case on the bracket and I had to trim back a bit of the bracket also. If you look at the photo you can see how close it comes on their photo, well, it didn't clear that bump for me so I had the case reclocked. And I trimed back one part of the back bracket to give it more room to clear the back of the alternator case.

[IMG]http://www-link.com/cybercity/pictures/2264b.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

• tbird430
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jun 18 2007

Heck, I'm still looking for a STEEL fan shroud!!!
                    sigpic
                    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Yea, I think I may fabricate one from sheet metal or something. Does anyone know the material of the one from Deerborn classics?

Comment

so, I picked up a 16" electric pull fan with an adjustable thermostat and a fan clutch with an 18" 6 blade fan.(out of a 67 F250)

After talking to different people in the industry and the electric pull fan not fitting between the belt pulley and the radiator, I am going with the clutch fan to pull. I will add a 10 or 12" electric Pusher on the front connected to a switch that I can manually turn on and off.

Comment

I have a clutch fan on a 62 390 thats in my bird.Got my bumpers for paint and going to install a push fan and a rad. cooler while its off.

Comment

• byersmtrco
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Sep 28 2004

The Dearborn shroud is fiberglass. It's a close reprod.
                            It does work. The big diff I've found is the temp idling in Park and the temp idling in gear. In P, it'll hold it's own and stay within the "E" in TEMP. In gear idling slower it will creep up very slowly.It will get over the middle into the M. I have determined (Once again with my high tech meat thermo) that is about 200-210. Now that is sitting totally still. Even moving walking speed it will cool down (190 range?)
                            I need real gauges. It is still some guess work. I've just compared my reading with where the needle is.
                            All I have to compare is before, w/the old motor and the 4 blade fan w/o a shroud the gauge would peg. My buddy checked it w/his Infra-red(spl/chk) and it was 230 deg in the tank. We were afraid to open it. Again, this was w/the old motor.

So yes, having the 7 blade with the shroud absolutely does work. Would a clutch fan be better? Not for cooling, only less drag on the motor (gas mileage???) The flex fan is supposed to have little or no drag above 2500 rpm.
                            The only time you will need an elec fan is sitting still. Again same problem. Idling, even an alt has lower otp @ idle. You might be tapping into your battery. It's all a catch 22. If I commuted in it . . . I'd prob jave a small pusher fan. Above 205-210, I'd turn it on.

Comment

Mine heats up in drive as well.Figured it's the tranny heating up.Installed a mechanical water temp gauge.She'll get up to 220 in drive and stay around 190 in park.
                              Just got the push fan today picking up a tranny cooler tomorrow.Cant install until next week when she comes back from paint.
                              Flat Black Imeron.
                              Custom front bumper and grill
                              fresh rear bumper.
                              Last edited by Guest; August 15, 2007, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎