X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

General Motors sinking

I can't watch the collapse of the American car companies anymore. It is just too painful. The following article talks about GM possibly eliminating Buick or Pontiac. The writer refers to GM as the Titanic. This is unfortunate. If the public perceives a brand is failing, it will fail. A similar situation has been going on at Ford with the Mercury brand. The Lincoln brand is also rudderless.

I wish Ford and GM would hire some people to manage the companies who actually love and understand cars, instead of just hiring bean-counters and self-absorbed designers.

I am available for employment.

The latest news and headlines from Yahoo News. Get breaking news stories and in-depth coverage with videos and photos.

Troubled GM May Kill One of Its Brands

1 hour, 7 minutes ago Business - Reuters

DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Corp., which issued a shock profit warning last week and has been losing market share, may phase out one of its weaker car brands if sales fail to meet projections, company Vice Chairman Bob Lutz said on Wednesday.

GM's Buick and Pontiac are both "damaged brands" due to lack of investment over the years, and GM is working to correct that with an array of new vehicles coming to market, Lutz told a Morgan Stanley automotive conference in New York.

But if some of its brands fail to meet sales projections, "then we would have to take a look at a phase-out. I hope we don't have to do that. What we've got to do is keep the brands we've got."

Financial analysts have said for years that the world's largest automaker has too many brands to support, even with the gradual phase-out of the Oldsmobile brand a few years ago, particularly with its weaker U.S. sales.

Sales for both Pontiac and Buick have lagged in recent years. But GM is in the midst of a $3 billion investment in new vehicles for Buick and Pontiac showrooms, and they will have four new vehicles this year, including the Solstice roadster, Torrent SUV and the G6 mid-size coupe.

GM, which last week cut its earnings outlook for 2005 by as much as 80 percent, posted a 6 percent drop in U.S. sales for the first two months of the year. GM's U.S. market share fell to about 25 percent, far below its share of 27.5 percent for all of 2004.

Analysts said last week that GM's March sales could fall as much as 10 percent, while foreign automakers such as Toyota Motor Corp. (news - web sites), Hyundai Motor Co. Ltd. and Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. would continue to gain U.S. market share.

Lutz said GM will post relatively flat U.S. sales for March, however, performing much better than expected.

"I think we're going to be just about even, our best guess at this point. Either a percent over or a percent under," he said. "It is a substantially better month than January or February, and it looks like the whole industry is up."

'A HUGE ALBATROSS'

No details about an expected restructuring at GM, the largest private U.S. provider of health care benefits, have emerged since it roiled markets with its warning last week.

But the company, which has about $300 billion in outstanding debt, said on Wednesday it was in talks to sell a stake in its GMAC Commercial Mortgage unit after potential investors expressed interest in the unit.

And Lutz and Gary Cowger, GM's president for North America, spoke of possible demands for a cut in mounting health care benefits for the company's hourly union employees in remarks on the sidelines of the New York auto show on Wednesday.

An elimination of any one of GM's brands would likely mean plant closings and a shrinking of GM's hourly work force.

"An across-the-board competitive health care plan for salaried and hourly employees could literally save us billions," Cowger said. Health care costs, added Lutz, are "a huge albatross hanging over American industry today."

Lutz particularly acknowledged the automaker, which will struggle to make a profit this year, faces challenges. But he said GM was "taking the necessary steps to right this ship" and told reporters at one point the threat of bankruptcy at GM was "absolutely out of the question -- totally out of the question."

"Sure, we face short-term challenges, and this is not going to be a banner year," he told the Morgan Stanley conference. "It's a difficult period of adjustment. But we will get through it."

He said some of GM's new cars, such as its Chevrolet Cobalt small car and Pontiac G6 mid-size car, will post their best sales to date in March, and told the Morgan Stanley conference "I don't know where all the gloom and doom is coming from."

He quoted one car reviewer who said, referring to GM's troubles, that the quality of the Cobalt convinced him that "the Titanic may yet turn fast enough to miss the iceberg."

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

RE: General Motors sinking

Alexander..........I recently got a job at a body parts supplier.........and get this......NOTHING they sell is made here in the states.........no bumpers, fenders, lights,hoods,grills........nothing ! Has our manufacturing in this country gone so awry ? It all comes from Japan, and Korea. Henry Ford would turn over in his grave. I guess the next phase would be that all cars are made there too. I dont think people realize today the our Auto industry was the crowning glory of our economy ........WAS. The other thing that amazed me was the fact that some auto makers are now using plastic fenders........Cadillac, and Buick to name a few. I had to pull a Cadillac fender to be sent to a body shop and inspect it for defects.........and the freaking thing was plastic !!!!! I think our auto makers too have fallen off the "creative" wagon lately.........churning out the same bland ideas and concepts (all in the shape of a Honda Accord). Perhaps they should study the story and history of our birds.......and realize what a fantastic and risky concept they were in their day. "This is how you come up with a new idea guys"...........instead of spending so much time trying to duplicate the 65 Mustang.

Comment

Fasten your seat belt (check to see where they are made) and hold on...

GM is struggling like other industries in a time of record oil prices, the Fed raising concerns of inflation, a soft job market, international conflict - this time with guns, etc., etc.

When the going gets tough go sit in your Squarebird, or better yet if you have gas in it, go for a ride. Very therapeutic.

We are struggling with a feeble attempt for an economic recovery, it takes time. We need a little faith that things are OK - it helps....

Comment

• SandyBoy
        Super-Experienced
        • Oct 31 2002

I am staying out of this one, and Alexander knows exactly why. My views are UNpopular, and painful to 50% of the public! However, they are correct. Sometimes....the truth hurts. It has nothing to do with GM or Ford, with sales, or lack thereof.

It has to do with a very very UNeven playing field, similiar to the New York Yankees taking on the High School baseball team in YOUR town, and then disbelief that YOUR high school is actuallly losing!

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

Sandy, I doubt your views would be unpopular here.

Alexander
          1959 Hardtop
          1960 Golde Top
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

• Alexander
            Webmaster
            • Oct 30 2002

I was reading that article again. It is a ridiculous analysis. Saying GM has too many brands to support is like saying that Disney has too many movies to support. The brands are supposed to make money for GM, but sales are slumping.

GM was making money with all these brands into the 1990's. The problem is not too many brands, but is a problem of product differentiation and identity. The product differentiation and identity faded fast in the 1970's.

GM has to ask itself why it was everyone chose a Chevy over a Toyopet in the 1950's, but why they choose Toyota over Chevy now. GM has to bring back what made these products sell - clearly superior quality, durability, and styling.

Alexander
            1959 Hardtop
            1960 Golde Top
            Alexander
            1959 Hard Top
            1960 Golde Top
            sigpic

Comment

• lainey
              Apprentice
              • Feb 23 2005

My input is the reason that most U.S. brands are failing is that their own warranties do not instill confidence. If low price foreign models like KIA and Hundai, can offer 10 years warranties, Then why can't upscale models like the Monte Carlo SS, like I purchased, offer more than 3 year, 36,000 mile warranties.

Another thought, why don't they just cut the price instead of offering the same rebates every year. If they did, maybe some people would buy immediately, instead of waiting for the "sales".

BIRDMAN

Comment

• Alexander
                Webmaster
                • Oct 30 2002

Those ten-year guarantees are not bumper-to-bumper guarantees like the three or four year guarantees offered by American companies, they are limited guarantees.

The ten-year guarantee by Hyundai was a great idea. It instilled confidence in a brand that was not known for quality or durability.

Alexander
                1959 Hardtop
                1960 Golde Top
                Alexander
                1959 Hard Top
                1960 Golde Top
                sigpic

Comment

• tarps3
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jul 21 2003

The humble opinion of a guy who still remembers the cool cars of his youth before everything went to ****.....

American cars have been crap for so long that the learning curve of the public is catching up with them. Modern cars are cheap, poorly made, and downright ugly/boring.

That being said, I still own 2 "newer" American cars in addition to my classics. Loyalty to American workers dies hard. My deceased step-dad worked at GM for many, many years.

My neighbor recently bought a used BMW that is downright beautiful. The fit, finish, and construction - when compared even to new domestics - makes the Beemer look like a whole different category of transportation. Granted, when new, that car was substantially more costly than a domestic model, but I'm talking about a 10-year-old used car here!

The most refreshing thing I find about my classics is the quality of materials and simple elegance of design. Both of which are sorely lacking in today's domestics.

As an Architect, I know the difference between a really thought-out design and a hack job. New domestics are clearly the latter. It's almost laughable from an aesthetic point of view...It's puzzling that it has occurred for so long and folks still buy the atrocities.

Sorry to be so negative, but these faltering comapanies have made their own bed. Cheap products, no imagination, and price gouging are hardly a recipe for continued success.
                  Don't even get me started about service after the sale...

Casey
                  '60 hardtop
                  '64 Galaxie

Casey

Comment

• SandyBoy
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Oct 31 2002

....and do you feel that this:

"" Sorry to be so negative, but these faltering comapanies have made their own bed. Cheap products, no imagination, and price gouging are hardly a recipe for continued success.
                    Don't even get me started about service after the sale... ""

is the same reason that we in the States no longer have a domestic thriving industry in:

Clothing Manufacture
                    Shoe Manufacture
                    Watch & time-piece Industry
                    Under Garment Production
                    Household Items
                    Camera Film
                    Cameras
                    Recording Equipment
                    Household Electronics
                    Radios
                    Clocks
                    Toys
                    Dolls
                    Games
                    Textiles
                    Cell Phones
                    Vehicle Tires
                    Small generators
                    Small engines
                    Art Supplies
                    Cash Registers
                    Surgical Supplies
                    Various machine measures of weight
                    Linens, Bedding, Pillows, etc
                    Table Utensils
                    Curtains
                    Latex Surgical Gloves !!!
                    and that's 40% of the listing that I have!
                    All "Cheap, overpriced, boring, lack of service American products" for untold years, or was that decades???

Of course not...it just not THAT simple!

Comment

• SandyBoy
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Oct 31 2002

To continue....

This was caused by a Nation that took all of its negitives of shoddy cheap housing, ultra low living standards - compared to the USA, inferior products and turned it all into a positive, with the aid and guidence of a very smart & slick government with the ultimate goal of under cutting our prices, by paying wages that YOU would never work for, with government backed health care for the workers and continous government subsidies, over a 25 year program, and finding every loophope in our system and "hooking" it. Furthermore, yes.... our greed to live better & better and earn more $$$ and the Unions contributed to it as well as a president that had not a clue regarding what the H was going on, and was totally outslicked by this foreign nation, when he tried to pass import limitations, so they just came here & bought our land, built their buildings funded by THEIR government, on OUR soil, by giving cheap promises of helping out our poor with manufacturing jobs (keeping out our Unions to protect them) and F.U. with your Import Taxes and Limits, Mr. President ~ We're "Amelikan now" !!:+ and then states in a bidding war, gave them 25 years FREE w/out any property taxes !!!!!
                      Oh, wait....YOU wanna sell your items in OUR homeland?? No No, can't have that, Import Taxes 'ya know......plus we teach our elementary students to support homegrown products, because what's good for OUR country, is good for YOU, children. (Can you imagine THAT being taught in American 5th grades??).

No, it's been 25 years a comin' with unbelievable help (behind the scenes) from the foreign government to do what you are now watching.
                      It did not happen overnight.

I am no longer speaking with my dumb @$$ neighbor. When I got our new 2003 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, he came over to look at it. Did he say, "Good Luck, it's nice! ? Nope! Did he say, "I like the color" ? Nope! Did he say, "Congratulations!" - Nope.

He said, "For what you paid for THAT, you coulda had an Infiniti or a Lexus" ! He too, just don't get it ~ ~ just the way "they" want us to think. Neighbor bought right in. I never have had a problem with my well made Lincoln's service to me. In 2004 he bought a Lexus ES (fancy Toyopet) and is now (at 13 months) involved in Lemon Law with the lawyers fighting to make (dis)Lexia take back their car, and refund his $$$$. I'll bet if he suceeds, his next car will ALSO be from a Foreign country. He all but called my Lincoln & Cherokee Jeep "Junk" (in so many words, that he is now eating).

Comment

• Alexander
                        Webmaster
                        • Oct 30 2002

I like that list. We Americans prefer to buy products to cost as long as the product looks good. The intrinsic quality is not that important to us.

I am sure you have heard of Latex allergy. People sometimes now have life threatening reactions to Latex. Latex is used in all kinds of medical products, especially gloves. Do you know why Latex allergy was rare prior to the 1980's?

When AIDS started to spread, hospitals and doctors adopted universal precautions, the demand for gloves suddenly grew. Hospitals and other health care givers started buying cheaper latex gloves from abroad to cut rising costs. Those Latex gloves are not made in the same way the American made ones were made. The American Latex used a process to refine the latex to rid it of most the proteins it contains. The imports did not. No one is allergic to Latex. It actually the proteins in impure Latex that people are allergic to.

The reward the American manufacturers get for making better Latex gloves? They go out of business. Almost all of out gloves now come from the Far East. People are willing to die for price. Worst of all, since people have now have sensitivity to these Latex proteins; they are even allergic to the refined Latex used in quality surgical products.

Alexander
                        1959 Hardtop
                        1960 Golde Top
                        Alexander
                        1959 Hard Top
                        1960 Golde Top
                        sigpic

Comment

• SandyBoy
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Oct 31 2002

THEY WERE ACTUALLY ON MY LISTING!!
                          Sorry, I am like the rest, UNinformed as to
                          their importance. Now, I know.
                          We are now a service industry. Can I do you taxes, design your home, clean your rugs, fight your case in court, cut your lawn, etc, etc. Our manufacturing basis is dying.

Here's the best of all. Several weeks ago I went to the chain mega store masquerating as a "Drug Store" (ever wonder why the smokers get to buy smokes right up front, yet the ill have to walk to the very rear of the place to fetch the drugs they need and wait for them, but cancer sticks are right up front??)
                          Anyhow, here I am to buy one of those throw away cameras to shoot some car I am trotting off to see. So, they have 2 brands Kodac and/or Fugi. The Fugi is .69 cents cheaper. 9 outta 10 would buy the Fugi. I bought the Kodac to support the American Company. As I picked it up I took notice of a rather large American flying flag placed on the box for all to see. I paid & left with it. I did notice some extremely tiny print next to said flag. When I got home I slipped on my reading glasses to see what it said, and was I ever ****ed!!

"Product made in China. Boxed in the USA" ~ So we are now a nation of BOXERS ! They manufacture, we box. Call Don King. By putting a "Boxed In the USA" there, it allowed them to trick the casual buyer into thinking they were buying an American-Made Product, with the use of OUR flag! There was NO Japanese flag on it!!

Alex, did you NOT notice, that nowhere in THAT article you linked to, did in mention the Far East? The reader is left to assume that these inferior gloves are made in this country, to a lower level of product to CAPITOLIZE on PROFIT. Why not I.D. the source? Why? Our "protectionist" governemt, that on nightly news announces every recall from GM & Ford & Chryser, but seldom, if ever on Toyotas!! Toyopet last year had in excess of 51 recalls. How many did YOU hear about????

Comment

• lainey
                            Apprentice
                            • Feb 23 2005

You guys reminded me of when I was a kid, my grandmother and most of the other adults in my life refused to buy toys and other products that read "made in Japan". They said that we were supporting the people who attacked us. Furthermore they were using the tin scraps from our soldiers who had to stay there for security, to make these inferior products. Nowdays I look to avoid anything made in France.
                            BIRDMAN:'( x(

Comment

• SandyBoy
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Oct 31 2002

'Ya, that's another thing that rattles me cage. We Americans are all bent outta shape over France. Well, I too am no lover of things French, and i tend to agree with you....
                              >>>>>> BUT <<<<<<
                              Remember.......... Germany also verbally would not support/back us in Pres. Bush's decession and like France they took the same stance. That said....Soooooo, why do we want to change the name from French Fries to Friendly Fries, while we await delivery of our Beemer??
                              Because we are a nation of self gratification demons who will gladly purchase an American Cologne/Perfume instead of a French one.....but, oh nooooooo don't touch my Beemer!! Right ?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎