• Show
Clear All
  • Y-Blokkah
    Apprentice
    • Oct 4 2018

Taller gears in your ‘bird?

Anyone do this?
    I’m tempted.
    There’s plenty of 2.75’s out there, and to me, 3.00 is just a bit stout for highway running, at least around here.
    The way I see it, the 390’s a torque monster anyway and I really don’t like a high revving engine on the highway.

Comments?
  • Thunderherd
    Apprentice
    • Oct 22 2014

I'm running 2:75's in mine. 390 with an agressive cam. 3 speed standard. I love it. It had 3:73's. Engine was really revving high at freeway speeds. I've also got really loud exhaust. Straight through glass packs about 12 inches long. These new gears really quite'ened things down at highway speeds. And everything seems smoother also.

Comment

• Y-Blokkah
      Apprentice
      • Oct 4 2018

3.73s at 70 mph? That must have been quite the commotion.

The way I see it is, these are cruisers, not racers. I like low, smooth, and cool.
      You wanna race? Buy an Olds 88.

Oh, and you want cool sound? Flip those glasspacks around. It’s like having a bump in your straight pipes.
      A buddy had straight pipes on his 58 Retrac. 332 powered. That thing sounded bloody awesome.

Comment

• sidewalkman
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 14 2015

Originally posted by Y-Blokkah
        3.73s at 70 mph? That must have been quite the commotion.

The way I see it is, these are cruisers, not racers. I like low, smooth, and cool.
        You wanna race? Buy an Olds 88.

Oh, and you want cool sound? Flip those glasspacks around. It’s like having a bump in your straight pipes.
        A buddy had straight pipes on his 58 Retrac. 332 powered. That thing sounded bloody awesome.
        I had a 65 Comet, small block with headers and a 3" Thrush straight through muffler, it set off car alarms when it revved but surprisingly no drone when cruising
        Scott
        South Delta, BC, Canada
        1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
        Red Leather Interior!
        www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
        Thunderbird Registry #61266
        http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Dakota Boy
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 30 2009

If the torque converter is a stock passenger car unit, you could probably try the 2.75s without any issues; but if your car has a higher stall aftermarket converter, it would probably be slower and more sluggish when leaving from a stop.
          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎