No announcement yet.

Horn blows whenever it wants to

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horn blows whenever it wants to

I'm about to tear into my steering colunm to try and fix the horn. I've read the tech section and it doesn't sound like that bad of a job. Is there anything I need aside from some gasket material that usually goes bad in the column? I hate to have to get everything apart then need to order parts. I'll probably forget how to get everything back together. I've also had trouble with the shift lever lining up correctly. I have to lift up on it to start the car.
    Any suggestions??
    Thanks,
    Joe
  • tbird430
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 18 2007

If u have a digital camera u could take pics as u go.... .
    I would order a NEW shift dentent plate (on this site), while u are "in there".
    sigpic
    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

It sounds like my WIFE she sounds off when ever she wants and it is alot, I even pulled the fuse and that didn't help

Comment

• Dan Leavens
          Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Joe1946 When you install the cork for the horn, you definitely need to install a new DETENT PLATE. As mentioned below, I had the same problem holding the shift lever to start the 58 up and the detent plate solved all problems. It makes the shifter so solid, that you will have confidence in it so when it says it's in park, IT"S IN PARK. If your taking the steering wheel off for the cork, you might as well do it then as it is machined with current metal and is a very good product. The older plate over the many years, tends to round off with use and that is why you don't have the solid connection feel.
          Send Alexander an e-mail or order off this site and it's money well spent.

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
          Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
          Thunderbird Registry
          58HT #33317
          60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Thanks guys, For once I planned ahead and already have the new detent plate. I'm going to take a crack at it this weekend and see how much trouble I can get into.
            Thanks again.
            Joe

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎