engine transplant

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine transplant

hi i'm the newest member, i'm 18 and live in califorina,

I have recently receved a '60 bird from my grandfather, and am in the prosses of restoring it. i also have a '69 429 engine that i got out of a wagon. my plan is to transplant the engine into the bird.}>

but i don't even know if it is possible. i might have to got to the troble to make custom motor mounts, but i think the biggest problem is going to be the steering column. if it can be done i will have the coolest car around.

if anyone has anything to say please do. anything will help

thanks, chris
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: engine transplant

This is not an easy swap, though it can be done. You have less of an expense and headache if you replace the 352 in your T-Bird with another FE (Ford Edsel) series engine. These engines ranged in size from 332 to 428 cubic inches. The most common ones are the 390 cubic inch ones. Lots of Ford products from the 1960's used them.

Welcome to the board.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• Rockin Kev
      Experienced
      • Oct 31 2002

Chris
      Its ok going for the Big Block 429 but remember you need to stop the Bird as you only have drum brakes all round. Why not stick to a 390 and get some add on power boost toys with a disc brake conversion! .
      Kevin.

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

The FE engines are also big blocks.

Alexander
        1959 Hardtop
        1960 Golde Top
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

I spoke to a friend who is an experienced mechanic who loves Squarebirds. He says the swap of a 429 into a Squarebird is feasible and not too difficult. The 429 is actually narrower than the 352 FE engines. You might be even able to use the motor mounts in the position they are in on the car. You will have some obstacles to overcome when doing this transplant. You cannot reuse the Cruise-o-matic transmission that came in the car. It will not bolt up to the 429, and even if you made an adapttor plate, that transmission is considered to be a weak link in the T-Bird drivetrain. You will need to use a C-6 transmission. These transmissions are common and parts are plentiful. You will need to cut and widen the transmission hump to get the transmission into the car. You will need to make an adaptor hose to connect the power steering pump of the 429 to the control valve of the power steering. You will also need to make an inlet with a radiator cap in the upper radiator hose, since the 429 cannot use the expansion tank that is found on the FE and the 430 engines. Without a radiator cap, you have no way of getting coolant into the engine and regulating the coolant pressure.

Alexander
          1959 Hardtop
          1960 Golde Top
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢