• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnG
    John
    • Jul 28 2003

We're not alone!! - overflow tanks

hi everyone

Many postings have been made on this site about the persistent leakage problems of the overflow tanks. Almost everyone has had one that leaks, be it original, repaired or reproduction.

I look at an Avanti owners site from time to time to help a friend out who owns a '63 and recently found the following post which I thought many of you would find amusing or comforting (misery loves company?):

-------------------------------------------
    Topic: Radiator reserve tank conversion (Blarson51 -- 10th December 2005 - 09:05 AM)
    I am having trouble with persistent leakage from the radiator reserve tank on my '63 R2. It's enough to spray small amounts of coolant all around my recently rebuilt engine when I drive. I've had the tank repaired (twice) and it still leaks. I've seen several Avantis at shows with nicely done plastic overflow tanks located in the right front corner of the engine compartment, elimiating the reserve tank. Although I'm trying to keep my car mostly original, I'd like to make it as reliable and driveable as possible, and I'm tired of the mess the overflow tank is making. Dos anyone have any suggestions for the conversion? I can't find any references to this in the last couple of years of the Avanti magazine. Thanks. Brian

happy holidays!
    John '58 Hardtop
    1958 Hardtop
    #8452 TBird Registry
    http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
    history:
    http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm
  • tarps3
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 21 2003

RE: We're not alone!! - overflow tanks

hmmm.
    sounds familiar....

I have had 3 original tanks rebuilt twice each - they still leak.
    I have bought and replaced 2 reproduction tanks - they still leak.

I hate 'em. If there were a stronger word, I'd use it.

How hard can it be to get an overflow tank to simply stay together at the seams? It's pretty ridiculous.

I would put a big 'ol plastic milk jug bolted to the fenders with lag screws if I could be sure it wouldn't spew coolant all over the underside of my hood! Original or not.

I'm thinking of going with a later model tank. My '64 had the ribbed overflow tank and it never leaked.

What do these cooling systems hold? 15psi or so?
    My neighbor with Chevies laughs his *ss off every time he comes over cause I am CONSTANTLY screwing with the overflow tank (replacing or repairing).

augh.
    Ok, deep breaths...

Casey
    '60 hardtop
    Casey

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

I have found that tanks that leak will leak no matter how many times you try to fix them. My success is to find an original tank that has not been repaired and is not leaking. the one in my 1959 has now not leaked in over ten years.

I hope I did not jinx myself.

I am surprised that the reproductions leak.

Alexander
      1959 Hardtop
      1960 Golde Top
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

• tarps3
        Super-Experienced
        • Jul 21 2003

I am on my second repro tank and this one lasted almost 8 months but it's now leaking. And it's too late to return it - 200 bucks for nothin.
        very frustrating.....

Casey
        Casey

Comment

Just a thought. Any chance you could use the same sealing chemical that is used to seal gas tanks and repair minor rust out holes? I realize we are dealing with different chemicals, pressures, and higher temperatures but I'm curious if anyone has given this a try? My current tank is OK but it sounds like sometime in the future I'll have to deal with this problem.

Comment

• Alexander
            Webmaster
            • Oct 30 2002

Those stop leak products plug any small hole external and internal. Our 'Birds run hot enough. An additional problem with those stop leak additives is that while they stop leaks under pressure, when the cooolant is cool and without pressure, coolent oozes from the holes to the outside world.

I have used them in the past. I would not recommend them unless you are running a beater.

Alexander
            1959 Hardtop
            1960 Golde Top
            Alexander
            1959 Hard Top
            1960 Golde Top
            sigpic

Comment

I know what you mean. I was not referring to radiator products like Bars-Leak. I was wondering about epoxy based products that you slosh around in your gas tank. I was thinking of sloshing the epoxy stuff just in the expansion tank and not throughout the complete cooling system.

Comment

• Alexander
                Webmaster
                • Oct 30 2002

I have not tried that. When I have tried using epoxy externally, it either leaked at that place or found another place to leak.

Alexander
                1959 Hardtop
                1960 Golde Top
                Alexander
                1959 Hard Top
                1960 Golde Top
                sigpic

Comment

Speaking of running hot...I found a local company that made an aluminum radiator for my soon-to-be 59 t-bird. ONLY $350.00 This is half the price I got from anyone on line. I have not installed it hence my car is on a rotisserie. But is looks great in the box for now. This guy was great and after further conversation he was explaining how his company has just begun to ship them out nationally. I got the number at work if anyone is interested. I can also post pictures.

Comment

• ayrwoof
                    Experienced
                    • Apr 4 2005

ya need a cooling system presure tester to screw on tank .Start engine
                    see how "fast" presure builds compared to a good car. squarebirds
                    should leak off cap psi at 13.5.........dave///

Comment

i am confused.. i have used these cars as dailey drivers since 1975.i hane a 60 bird and a 59 ranchwagon never a leek between the two..knock on wood... in 1976 my 64 merc tank had a leek that i repaired with a torch and a brass rod.. my brother owns it now
                      but it has not leeked in 30 years

Comment

• tarps3
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jul 21 2003

ount yourself very fortunate yoakum....

I have a stockpile of leaky tanks that attest to them being a pain in the *ss.

Finally got my 2nd repro tank to stop leaking though.
                        I took it to a very good radiator shop that disassembled the entire thing. They soldered both sides of the seam and guaranteed it not to leak - so far it hasn't but it's only been a couple of months.

They showed me the tank when it was apart and how crappy it was built. I mean the manufacturer used the absolute minimum solder to hold the thing together. This explains why they leak from a different place each time you try to fix it.

My '64 had an expansion tank that NEVER leaked - it was original equipment.

Casey
                        60 hardtop
                        Casey

Comment

• byersmtrco
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Sep 28 2004

Yeah GM has gone back to em too. And we're sellin the heck out of em. When will they learn ??!!

In all fairness though . . . Over the years, I think we've only had the one on the 60 repaired a couple of times. It had a pinhole leak (I thought) at the time we put the new eng in, so I updated to the later ribbed design. But the orig one passed the pres/test.

One thing that helps, is running a lower pressure cap. I have the Stant cap on there with the Pres release lever. Prob holds 10 or 12 lbs. When it gets hot, it'll spit out (a little) but it's not holding all that pressure. Also I leave the coolant level down a bit. I fill the tank just to where my fingertip gets wet. Then it won't leave a lake under the car when you stop.

These were recommendations that came from my dad's friends at his uncle's Ford dealership (all old time Ford guys)

I just used to get worried watching that gage peg out sitting in traffic. No more with that shroud on there !!!

My .02 again

Comment

>One thing that helps, is running a lower pressure cap. I
                            >have the Stant cap on there with the Pres release lever.
                            >Prob holds 10 or 12 lbs. When it gets hot, it'll spit out (a
                            >little) but it's not holding all that pressure. Also I leave
                            >the coolant level down a bit. I fill the tank just to where
                            >my fingertip gets wet. Then it won't leave a lake under the
                            >car when you stop.
                            >
                            >These were recommendations that came from my dad's friends
                            >at his uncle's Ford dealership (all old time Ford guys)
                            >
                            One of the things folks don't seem to realize is that it's just like a modern day overflow tank. It isn't meant to be filled to the brim.

That's why it's called an "expansion tank" -- To allow for the natural expansion of the coolant when it's hot without (the coolant) blowing a hole in a seam or venting past the cap.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎