Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • treedennis
    • Nov 20 2009

Convertible top bleeding

I have just put my motor/pump back on and filled the reservoir to the max and worked the pump to where it is full. Now when I go to raise the top back up from the trunk it goes up about halfway and stops and slowly goes back down. It seems like it needs more fluid to me but when I check the level it is running out when I take the screw out. Does anyone have any idea what I may be doing wrong. Do you need to bleed it a certain way. Any help as always is truly appreciated. Dennis Branch 1959 Tbird Convertible with the top down. HELPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!
  • kuusamon
    Experienced
    • Feb 14 2009

Hello,

Don’t know if I can help you yet because I have not gotten to it yet. Maybe this weekend I will try to bleed mine. I just finished repairing the main pump motor.

In the shop manual it states to fill the main pump until the underside of the fill opening and then (after putting the filler screwcap back on), operate the top a few times and then check the level again and add fluid.

That might not work entirely because the main pump is not the highest unit, I believe the top cylinders might be higher.
    Anyway what I am planning to do is to disconnect the rods from the deck and the top, operate it for 2 or 3 times and try to bleed it from the filler cap first, make sure when you do that that all the rods from the cylinder are back down so without pressure in the system.
    Then it might be possible to loosen the lines from the cylinders 1 or 2 turns (the highest up ones) and then by hand pulling the rod up until fluid comes out of the line connection. While you hold the rod up, tighten the line connection again. Do that a few times and with all cylinders. Similar to bleeding the brakes actually or instead doing it by hand have someone operate the top switch a bit.

Maybe it works, have not tried it yet but I will try this weekend hopefully.
    Have you flushed the system, not mixing 2 different types of DOT fluids?

Regards
    Ronald
    sigpicGreets,
    Ronald
    Kuusamo
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=1741

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Originally posted by treedennis
      ... Now when I go to raise the top back up from the trunk it goes up about halfway and stops and slowly goes back down...
      Wait a minute...

When you retract your cylinders, fill the reservoir. Said another way; when the cylinder rods are inside your cylinders, fill the reservoir. If you extend your cylinders and fill, you will get too much fluid in the system and it will have no where to go. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎