X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

Right-side Spotlight Bracket

I went to the auction at Atlantic City last weekend and saw a nice 1960 Thunderbird Convertible with a continental kit.

It was heavily optioned including A/C, though I suspect some of these options were put on long after the car was built.

The rear deck antenna is smooth, not ribbed as it should be in 1960, but then old stock may have been used when new.

The car had a left-hand spotlight using the correct 130L bracket. It is the square style spotlight, not the winged style. I have seen both on Squarebirds. Both I believe are correct. I had purchased an NOS 1958-60 spotlight in the original Ford box in the early eighties that had a square head.

It also had a right-hand spotlight using what I think is the 1958 Mercury bracket which is shorter than a 130R(the mirror image of 130L) would be.

I see right-hand spotlights on Squarebirds quite often, but never with the correct 130R bracket. The shorter bracket looks not quite right. I have heard that might have been 130R's made, but I have never seen one and the Unity literature I have says that the right hand bracket is not available.

I was thinking of making up this legendary right hand bracket that may never had been made. Is a complex shape and chromed, so it would not be cheap. I would imagine it would cost $300 to $500 to make in a small batch. But fellow Thunderbird enthusiasts would look at it and ask - Where did you get that bracket?

Anyone interested in such a bracket?

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic
  • tmjsong1aolcom
    Experienced
    • Mar 31 2004

RE: Right-side Spotlight Bracket

Hi Alex
    Neat looking bird. Would luv to get additional detail pics of the bird.

The spotlites on the bird are not Ford made ones by Unity. I do not know where they come from.

As for the right side bracket. I heard is was avail but this was just heard. Never confirmed. I can supply pics of an NOS one if wanted. It is not mounted on a bird.

Fuz
    58's&64's
    Sun Prairie, Wi.

Comment

• byersmtrco
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 28 2004

Is that spotlight correct? I have the square winged style. I'd love to get a RH. It needs a mirror on that side. The handle should come into the inside btwn the dash pad and the dogleg trim correct?

JB

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

>Hi Alex
        >Neat looking bird. Would luv to get additional detail pics
        >of the bird.
        >
        >The spotlites on the bird are not Ford made ones by Unity.
        >I do not know where they come from.
        >
        >As for the right side bracket. I heard is was avail but
        >this was just heard. Never confirmed. I can supply pics of
        >an NOS one if wanted. It is not mounted on a bird.
        >
        >Fuz
        >58's&64's
        >Sun Prairie, Wi.

All the spotlights, whether winged or square were made by Unity. I have more pictures of that red convetible.

You have a picture of a 130R bracket? I have never seen one. All the brackets were made by Unity also. They have Unity parts numbers on them , not Ford. I beleive that all the spotlights were dealer installed.

Alexander
        1959 Hardtop
        1960 Golde Top
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

The spotlights can be left or right handed. All that needs to be done is to rotate the mirror bracket inside. The only problem is the right side bracket is not avialable. Even if you just find the head of the spotlight, all the rest of the components are still available from Unity to rebuild it. There are different sized rodds depending on the car application. I have a right hand spotlight waiting to be mounted if I ever find or make a bracket.

I know the brochures at the time show the winged type, but I have see bought a 1958-60 square type spotlight in a Ford box with a Ford part number back in the 1980's. So I do believe both types were available.

Alexander

>Is that spotlight correct? I have the square winged style.
          >I'd love to get a RH. It needs a mirror on that side. The
          >handle should come into the inside btwn the dash pad and the
          >dogleg trim correct?
          >
          >JB

Alexander
          1959 Hardtop
          1960 Golde Top
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic