This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:28 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

OMG, all you poor North Americans...
Where's the steering wheel?
This is a 1958 Ford (which to me looks like the '59). Notice that the engine is a 272 Y-Block and you get two choices in trans. It's either a column 3-speed manual or a 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.
The body is a Fordor (same as the station wagon) and it is a sedan.

Now you know what happened to all the dies for just about everything except the firewall and dashboard, after Dearborn was done with our 1956 model. The Y-Block went too, straight over to Australia AND South America, where it was used forever...
Attached Images
File Type: png AustralianFordBnW.png (77.2 KB, 38 views)

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 01-31-2017, 06:55 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Dave I was close,as I had a star in my naming of this car Starliner, I have never seen and probably never will
58HT #33317 60HT # 23023
Old 01-31-2017, 06:55 PM
Apprentice

KENN is on a distinguished road

http://www.customlineclub.org.au/htm...s___stars.html THE TURN SIGNALS AND GRILL ETC. ARE 55 FORD . THEY MUST HAVE USED OUR OLD DIES?
WHITE 60 HARDTOP AND 46 FORD SEDAN STREET ROD TBIRD REGISTRY #61860
Old 01-31-2017, 08:43 PM
Busted Knuckles

Penelope is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
OMG, all you poor North Americans...
Where's the steering wheel?

Dave, that car is over here in Western Australia and I confess I saw it at a car show a while ago but never paid it the attention it deserved. I will be on the look out for it now, and if I can get some insight into it, I will post about it.

Last edited by simplyconnected : 01-31-2017 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:14 PM
Slow Typist

Yes Bill, Jeff Toll took these pictures in Perth and posted them. He gives that credit in his comments at the bottom:
http://brakehorsepower.com.au/3363/1...ne-star-model/

I was looking for a typical example of an Aussie Ford but I didn't want to scare our members off by showing a UTE. (We don't understand the Ford UTE.) - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 01-31-2017, 10:57 PM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENN View Post
http://www.customlineclub.org.au/htm...s___stars.html THE TURN SIGNALS AND GRILL ETC. ARE 55 FORD . THEY MUST HAVE USED OUR OLD DIES?
You would be surprised with similar but genuine parts that show up around the world. Not all tooling is thrown away at the end of a production run. I have seen times when service parts were in high demand. If Ford still has the dies in a bone yard, they refurbish them for a short, non-automated run. Service parts pay handsomely.

The write-up is pretty good but it shows the Aussies weren't clear on the American Fords. Not a mention of my 1959 Galaxie, probably because it wasn't available over there (and '59 was the first year for Galaxie).

Producing cars from the same dies for four years is a HUGE money saver for Ford. It cheaply brings full-size Ford cars to places that would otherwise use smaller models. Stateside, it calls the dogs off of production pressures to supply the world with the current model.

So, production numbers are misleading. Ford produced 67,456 1959 Ford cars in the USA. TOTAL production would include Australian numbers but they were a different body style, much like my '55 Customline. My point is, Ford simultaneously produced two different models instead of putting total demands on N. American assembly plants. Smart move and a money saver both ways.

Engine production follows the same history. T-birds started out with Y-Blocks but quickly switched to FEs in '58. Meanwhile in Australia, they made their own engines with Y-Block tooling sent from North America. Brilliant. South America designed and built heads for their Y-Blocks that resemble SBF heads, where the center ports were not back-to-back exhaust. THAT was an innovation Ford embraced for the FE and all subsequent engines. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca