No announcement yet.

Lowering a Square Bird

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lowering a Square Bird

Has anyone lowered their squarebird ? I am thinking of lowering mine perhaps 2 inches. In stock form the rearend seems a bit higher than the front. For now I am thinking about lowering the rear, perhaps with 2 inch with lowering blocks or maybe re-arched leaf springs. Does anyone have any opinions about this. Yeah my car will be a custom so don't worry about decreasing the value.
  • KULTULZ

RE: Lowering a Square Bird

Well,

You can go about it in different ways. You can cut the front coils to arrive at the trim height and have the rear springs rebuilt with the lowered stance kept in mind. Lowering blocks usually disrupt the handling.

Or, you can speak with EATON SPRINGS and tell them how much you want to lower the trim level and they will make you a custom set. Now these people are the origional supplier to FORD so the qaulity is excellent and the price reflects it...

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

Squarebirds are pretty low as it is. I sometimes have difficulties clearing ramps, and potholes are a nightmare.

Maybe a hydraulic or aisuspension is the answer for you. The lowriders do this. They can be low for show and high so they can cruise down the street.

Alexander
      1959 Hardtop
      1960 Golde Top
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

• byersmtrco
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 28 2004

I think years ago (when it was new) my dad lowered our TB. Not the right way though. It has one less leaf in each rear spring. I've chk'd numerous other 59-60 Birds. The Hotrod guy who cust fit my frt swaybar pointed out where the front coils have been heated. I'd say it rides 1" lwr in frt and 2" in the rear. As Alexander pointed out, these cars were pretty low out of the box. Mine scrapes on speed bumps. The tailpipes drag on driveways. Forget about anything heavy in the trunk or more than one person (adult) in the back seat.
        Air ride. "Bag it" as the custom guys say.

I'd put springs in it, but every Sq/bird I've seen w/new springs sits like a pickup truck. I'd want to raise the whole car 1". I like the slight rake though.

John

Comment

• roadpatrol
          Apprentice
          • May 17 2003

You could try low profile tires.

Rick
          60 Hardtop
          Front Brakes
          12.6 Volts
          Rick
          60 Hardtop

Comment

• dgs
            Super-Experienced
            • Feb 13 2003

Smaller diameter tires look silly, in my opinion.

Check out my [link://www.salguod.net/weblog/archive/000347.shtml|before and after page] when I got my wheels. The before wheels are on the stock rims, but the tires are too small and probably lower the car about 1.5". The new wheels are 17" but the tires are much closer to the stock height, lowering the car about 0.5". The new wheels and tires fill the wheel wells nicely and look 'right', the old ones looked more like temporary spares and don't look like the right tires for the car. It seems like the car is 'tip-toeing'.

The car also scraped going in and out of the driveway before, doesn't now.
            DGS (aka salguod)
            1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
            www.salguod.net

Comment

Well, I just lowered my 58 about 1.5" up front by cutting 1 coil from the front coils. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet, but I thought the front sat to tall with the 17" rims I have on it right now. I thought the rear end hight was fine.

You can look here for a couple photos I took of it with my phone camera, so they are not the best.

Comment

Thanks, I have about 12 articles on lowering a car each one is slightly different. And each person I talk to has a different opinion. I am having trouble stopping my 60 t-bird too even though it has "power brakes". I am also planning on putting on disc brakes on the front at the same time. My problem is I have to make sure I get it right so I don't have to do the whole thing over.

I have contacted "Jamco" they suggest their 2 kits to lower the front and rear and install their disc brake kit. The product can be seen almost weekly on Chip Fooses's " Overhaulin". the kits and brake conversion is $1824. plus labor.

I contacted ABS Brakes in Orange their disc brakes some maintenance not lowering is about $4,000.

I contacted a hot rod shop they suggested one cut coil spring in front and 2 inch lowering blocks or reverse leaf springs in the rear. Of course that is much cheaper. They think that the juice brakes are just fine just need some maintenance such as ball joints gas shocks upper and lower control arms.

So you can see why I am hesitant.
                I would like to talk to someone who has actually lowered their car and are pleased with it. I also see you have put on Disc brakes. It takes both feet to stop my t-bird very scary.
                Gary

Comment

Well, I am still working on getting the beast on the road, I hope to manage that this weekend if I can line up all the parts. Basically two parts have stopped me, the shaft for the brake pedal, the ninety degree conectors at the calipers and a lower rad hose.

But as soon as I get the pig on the road I will report in on the results. I still have not been told by the gentleman helping me with the kit is going to want for it. He is useing me to develop a list of what it is going to take, how to do it, costs etc, so I am not paying the full price.

What I can tell you so far is that you will have to run at least 16" maybe even 17" wheels for the kit, you will be able to keep or run a front sway bar, some of the kits I looked at removed that ability. You will end up with 13" rotors and 4 piston calipers.

I won't be able to tell you how much it improved the braking since the car didn't have functioning brakes on it when it was given to me, but I will be able to say if I think the brakes are adequate or not. I figure I can compare it with my olds or my bmw.

Bryan

Comment

• byersmtrco
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Sep 28 2004

Well I have gone to disc from the scary drums. I can honestly say this car stops great now. Don't get me wrong, it's not like these late models with 4 whl disc and ABS.

It stops like a mid 80's early 90's Ford or GM sedan. It's certainly better than the "Hit the brakes and wonder (If) it's going to stop . . . or which way is it going to pull. I've been doing btwn 70 & 80 and brought her right down to a halt. No lock up, no pull (at all). It's great. I've also installed hvy duty sway bars frt and rr. It's actually a fun car to drive now. It's no SS Monte Carlo or Mustang, but it drives nice AND still has the soft ride W/O wallowing around like a bus with flat tires.

My .02 . . . Well 5.00

John

Comment

Well Guys I got the old bird moving yesterday. I need some tune up specs for it, but I did take a few photos with my phone from new angles. Nice to see it out of the driveway.

I think I have the height right where I want it. For those that are interested. Right now it is lowered about 1.5" up front and stock in the rear. Those are 17x8 with 245x45 on it right now.

http://www.files.bz/files/702/TBird/91106034.JPG[/IMG]
                      http://www.files.bz/files/702/TBird/91106033.JPG[/IMG]
                      http://www.files.bz/files/702/TBird/91106032.JPG[/IMG]
                      http://www.files.bz/files/702/TBird/91106031.JPG[/IMG]
                      http://www.files.bz/files/702/TBird/91106030.JPG[/IMG]
                      http://www.files.bz/files/702/TBird/91106029.JPG[/IMG]
                      http://www.files.bz/files/702/TBird/91106028.JPG[/IMG]

Comment

• dgs
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Feb 13 2003

You know, I didn't think lowering was such a good idea, but you may make me a believer. Looks great with that lowered nose. I was going to say, get those skirts on, but then I saw you pic showing the left side with the skirt.

Looks great. Any trouble with the 245 width? I've got 235/55 on 17x8 Boyd's and thought that was about as wide as you could go.
                        DGS (aka salguod)
                        1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
                        www.salguod.net

Comment

Opps, I didn't even notice that I had the skirt off that side.

With the high offset of those wheels I am running a 1" spacer to move the wheels over to clear the a arm. But tire clearance up front is fine, in fact I might have enough room to go up to a 255.

In the rear, not with the backspacing of these wheels, I am working on if I need to run a 1.25" or a 1.5" spacer. Right now the tire is rubbing the ladder bar mount pretty hard on the drivers side. The rear end is offset about .25" to the drivers side. I don't know if there is a way to adjust that. But I think I have it worked out that I can run a 275x40 in the back with a 1.25" spacer.

We will see.

Comment

• byersmtrco
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Sep 28 2004

Wow !!!! that REALLY looks good. Tough lookin' !!!!
                            I am seriously considering this. Those wheels are cool !!!
                            These wire things (K/H reprod) are a pain !!! I might just cut a coil off too. Gotta restock the TBird bank 1st !!!!

That's one sharp 58 !!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Alexander
                              Webmaster
                              • Oct 30 2002

Nice looking car.

I just wonder how the rubber bushings and joints in the suspension and steering stand up to the wide tires over time. Undoubtably more stress is placed on them.

Alexander
                              1959 Hardtop
                              1960 Golde Top
                              Alexander
                              1959 Hard Top
                              1960 Golde Top
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢