No announcement yet.

Rear Seat Panel

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Seat Panel

Should the panel above the rear seat on a 59 have a t-bird emblem in the center of it?
    Thanks
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Rear Seat Panel

No.That is only in 1960. Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

I thought so...There is a "All orginal 1959, 7,500 mile" bird on ebay right now with the emblem on this panel. I guess I'm board???
      Thanks

Comment

• dgs
        Super-Experienced
        • Feb 13 2003

It says "late 1959" too. Didn't Ford sometimes start using new parts once the old ones ran out, even if that was early or late? Could it be that this 1959 got a 1960 Style trim part?

Or maybe it's not as original as he lets on. :P
        DGS (aka salguod)
        1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
        www.salguod.net

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

The late 1959 Thunderbirds started getting the white instead of black steering wheel centers, but I have never seen one with t-bird emblem on the area between the rear seats.

Alexander
          1959 Hardtop
          1960 Golde Top
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

I'm going to ask him...I will let you know..

Comment

He just replied...Seller claims it's orginal Any thoughts???
              I must have too much time on my hands.:-)

Comment

He responded again, stating that the pictures he has from 1965 (when he bought it)show that panel. Did we learn something new or did someone change it from 59 to 65?????
                AGAIN, too much time...HAHAHA

Comment

• Alexander
                  Webmaster
                  • Oct 30 2002

People back then often tried to update their cars to make them appear current. Many 1963 Corvettes had the split windows removed when the 1964's came out.

To match the interior for the turquoise vinyl 1959, they would have needed to use a 1960 turquoise leather trim panel as the vinyl one in 1960 had dark bolsters. I am not sure if the turquoises for both years was identical.

It would be interesting to know if he has a white steering wheel center.

According to the VTCI, the highest estimated VIN number for the 1959 Thundderbird is 167456 for 67,456 Thunderbirds produced. His VIN of H9YJ159929 is still a long way away from the end of production.

Alexander
                  1959 Hardtop
                  1960 Golde Top
                  Alexander
                  1959 Hard Top
                  1960 Golde Top
                  sigpic

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
                    Experienced
                    • Mar 31 2004

I did take a look at this car. It might be a low mileage car, but so much of it has been redone, any claims of a low mileage car are mute. I don't believe this guy for a minute, no matter what he says. An up close and personal inspection would help a lot, but I have a sneaking hunch that it is not a low mileage bird. Buyer Beware??

Fuz
                    58's & 64's
                    Sun Prairie, Wi.

Comment

• Alfred E. Neuman
                      • Aug 27 2018

I'm a newbie but thought I would resurrect this old thread. I'm presently a Corvette guy but thinking about going to a Squarebird, a 1959 specifically. My wife is always complaining that the Vette is too loud (sidepipes) and we can never take another couple with us in the Vette.

At any rate, I came across the 'Bird discussed on this thread at a couple of sites and was wondering what the experts would make of it.

Here is a pic of the T-bird emblem.

And here is a pic of the steering wheel center.

You can see a bunch more pics at SOLD: 1959 Ford Thunderbird Convertible and 1959 Ford Thunderbird Convertible.

So what are the opinions on this car? I'm not considering buying it; just want to learn about this stuff so I'll know when I am looking to buy.
                      Last edited by YellowRose; August 27, 2018, 08:58 PM. Reason: Downsized Pix to 800pixels...

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The rear seat emblem is not correct for '59. It should be blank. Someone added that later on. The steering wheel center should be black, not white. Other than that I can't find much wrong with it. It appears to be extremely nice. I certainly wouldn't mind owning it. It even has the original washer pump.

John
                        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                          Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

I agree with John sweet classic chrome, badges and interior are above good condition. Would be a great buy for someone if the price was right
                          Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                          Thunderbird Registry
                          58HT #33317
                          60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
                            Experienced
                            • Mar 1 2017

Originally posted by jopizz
                            The rear seat emblem is not correct for '59. It should be blank. Someone added that later on. The steering wheel center should be black, not white. Other than that I can't find much wrong with it. It appears to be extremely nice. I certainly wouldn't mind owning it. It even has the original washer pump.

John
                            Great looking convertible , but, why the left side antenna . A/C and Heater knobs on the console ( no A/C in car ) . Also forgot two hood bumpers, grounding clip , and replacement dash 60 style . The undercarriage could use some detailing . Just my observations as for attention to details . Are we having fun yet ?

Comment

• jopizz
                              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by OUR5T8BIRD
                              Great looking convertible , but, why the left side antenna . A/C and Heater knobs on the console ( no A/C in car ) . Also forgot two hood bumpers, grounding clip , and replacement dash 60 style . The undercarriage could use some detailing . Just my observations as for attention to details . Are we having fun yet ?
                              Good pickup on the antenna. I guess it's a throwback to the days of the dual antennas in the back. I have no idea about the a/c knobs. As for the dash pad it's a late serial number so the '60 style dash would be correct.

John
                              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎