X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcomo
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 23 2005

Motor and Transmission Mount Insulator

My motor mounts rubber insulators are hard as a rock and cracked in spots. My transmission mount insulator, from what I can feel with my fingers, is falling apart and mushy.

I see that they now have repro mount insulators for the 430.

I have two questions:

1. Has anyone changed the motor and or trans mount rubber insulators -- any advice? Shop manual makes it sound easy, but it's pretty cramped under there.

2. Has anyone used the new 430 repro mount insulators, and where did you get them?

Any help before I attempt this will be appreciated.
    Bart
    1960 Hard Top/430
    Thunderbird Registry Number 1231
  • tbird430
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 18 2007

I have aked this Question 4 B as well, as my 430cid tranny mount is GONE!

Let me know how U make out...
    sigpic
    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• bcomo
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 23 2005

I'm going to order the tranny insulator first. I'll let you know how it looks and how the install goes. By the way, don't forget to order the rubber "Rebound" for the bottom nut. Mine is there, but might as well see if I can get a new one of those too.

I'll let you know the numbers, and who I get it from -- when the darned weather gets cooler -- don't you love our 90 degree Texas October weather
      Bart
      1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• tbird430
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 18 2007

Okay.

U know I do... LOL!!
        sigpic

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• lincolnguy
          • Oct 5 2007

The transmission mounts are the same as the lincoln 430.I have a limited number of reproduction/rebuilt mounts if anyone is interested on an exchange basis.

Comment

• bcomo
            Super-Experienced
            • Sep 23 2005

All that I need is the Rubber Isulator, and the Rebound that goes under the mounting bolt. Is that what you have?
            Bart
            1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• bcomo
              Super-Experienced
              • Sep 23 2005

tbird430:

I ordered the 430 tranny mount and rebound insulator from Bird Nest today. I should have it in 4-5 work days.

Bird Nest has a Photo of it on their site.

430 Tranny Mount - #6038A - $44.95

Motor Mount Insulator - #6039 - $6.95
              (This is the same Ford PN as the Tranny Insulator)

I'll post more after I get it from UPS.
              Bart
              1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• tbird430
                Super-Experienced
                • Jun 18 2007

Thank You.
                sigpic

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• bcomo
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Sep 23 2005

Replaced the 430 Tranny Mount

tbird430:

I replaced the 430 tranny mount and lower mount insulator (aka Rebound) today. The parts from Bird Nest were a perfect fit and very good repro. The part numbers that I posted are correct.

This was not a fun job. It took me 6 hours from start to clean-up. Once again, the Shop Manual lies -- and the tranny support will not come out the way they say. You have to do more to get to the rubber mount.

Have you ever removed the support bracket? If you want the long story of what I did, let me know before I forget.
                  Bart
                  1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• tbird430
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jun 18 2007

I just order my tranny mount from Pat Wilson's T-Bird. He told me there was no other rubber mounting part on the bottom with the bolt that goes up threw the center crossmember. Isn't that incorrect? U say there is a rebound bumper that is used on the tranny mount, and it is the same part as the 430 motor mount rebounds correct? Finally, how did u go abot removing the tranny crossmember (before u forget?)...
                    sigpic

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• bcomo
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Sep 23 2005

He is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Take a look at the manual Page 1-56, Fig. 49. It's even more clear on Page 6-22, Fig. 6. That is exactly the same part as the Motor Rebound. I used it and it fits perfectly.

The upper tranny insulator (rubber) absorbs the downward shock. You must have that lower rebound insulator in there to absorb the upward shock. Otherwise, the upward shock is all on the bottom nut. You need this!!

First, I jacked the car up and used 4 good jack stands, 2 in the front and 2 in the rear. All four tires off the ground and as LEVEL as possible, so that the tranny doesn't shift back. This way the tranny mount bolts will fit back where they belong. Just make sure it's secure because you need the jack for the tranny. DO NOT set the E-Brake.

Use a 2 x 6 wood block cut just a little wider than the tranny pan on the jack and raise the jack untill it JUST snugs up to the pan. Don't try to raise the pan, or the bolts will have a tough time coming out and strip threads.

Remove the cotter pin from the E-Brake bracket on the support member. Move the E-Brake steel lines to the side.

Reference Page 6-22, Fig 6.

Look carefully at the left hand drawing, upper left. You will see "Bracket to Underbody Bolts (upper)" Those are the key NUTS to remove first. Notice that those two bolts are mounted together on a plate on the inside of the car. When you take the nuts off, you will be able to push the bolts back into the interior. They are held there by the carpet. Don't worry, they won't fall into the car.

Now that you know that, the rest is easy.

Remove the lower insulator nut (the nut that holds the rebound that he said that you don't need ) You should have a Nut, Washer, Rebound, AND a Spacer Washer. Let me know if you don't have those two washers. They need to be a certain size and I'll talk more about them if you need them.

Then remove the verticle bolt, one on each side, of the Support Member (these are the only two bolts).

Next, remove the nuts on the "Bracket to Underbody Bolts (Lower)". Then, you can remove the Support Member bracket (with a little jiggling of those studs that are sticking out from the inside of the car)

Finally, remove the Support Member.

Now you can remove the Rubber Insulator.

You may have to raise the tranny SLIGHTLY when you put the new rubber insulator in -- it will be new and thicker.

This is not as complicated as it sounds, but needs to be done in order to make it go smoothly. I degreased and painted the support brackets and support member. I highly recommend that you use new 5/16 lock washers on the stud nuts.

Lastly, those two bolts that go verticle through the support bracket may give you trouble going back in. If they do, use a big screw driver to move the bracket while you thread the bolts with your other hand. DON'T cross thread them. They are 7/16 by 20 (fine thread) 1" under the head length if you need to replace them. Use new 7/16" lock washers.

Let me know the day before you do this and I'll stay close to the computer that day in case you need help.

Oh yeah -- my wife said that I looked like I just came out of an exhaust pipe the day that I did mine.
                      Bart
                      1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• tbird430
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jun 18 2007

"Right out off an exhaust pipe..." Huh? HAHAHA!! Thanks fellow Birder.... LOL!!!

BTW, I did call Pat Wilson's back and spoke with the same gentleman there from yesterday. He said he did research what I was explaining to him yesterday, he apologized, and informed me that he was already sending me BOTH parts. Thanks again...
                        Last edited by tbird430; November 1, 2007, 11:12 AM.
                        sigpic

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• bcomo
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Sep 23 2005

Very good !!!!!

Remember that I said "You should have a Nut, Washer, Rebound, AND a Spacer Washer" on the support.

If you don't have them, you can substitute a Fender Washer (the one wth a big hole) for the spacer washer. The other one is just a big washer that you should be able to find easily.

Let me know how it goes.
                          Bart
                          1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍