X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhuebner
    Experienced
    • Apr 12 2014

1406 Edelbrock carb

Im installing a new 1406 Edelbrock carb this week on my 65 T Bird, engine is stock, do I need to install a fuel regulator or is the 1406 good out the box except idle adjustments.
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

What fuel pump are you using?
    Where is it located?
    What fuel pressure do you have at the carburetor?

If the car is stock, you should be good to go straight out of the box. If the fuel system produces too much pressure you can buy a fuel regulator to tame the pressure down to 2 psi. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Joe Johnston
      Super-Experienced
      • Dec 23 2008

If you are using a stock mechanical fuel pump you should be good to go and not need a regulator.
      Last edited by Joe Johnston; July 5, 2014, 02:55 PM. Reason: Wow - 2 answers in the same minute! (and they agree!)

Comment

• Yadkin
        Banned
        • Aug 11 2012

Don't toss the old auto lite out. On eBay they go for $200 and up.

Comment

• jhuebner
          Experienced
          • Apr 12 2014

Thanks for the replies, the car has a stock mechanical fuel pump that will also be replaced with another stock unit, I was told the car has 9 psi, the current carb was worked on before being shipped to Germany and had a regulator installed I took it off and drove the car about a block and discovered fuel was coming out the top of the carb, thats what brought up the regulator question for the Edelbrock

Comment

• Joe Johnston
            Super-Experienced
            • Dec 23 2008

9 psi is too much for a stock carb as most don't like more than 5 or 6 psi at the most. Fuel out the top can also be caused by an improperly set float level, or one that has developed a pin hole and become filled with gas.

A bit of diagnostics is needed to know where you are at is to add a fuel pressure gauge in a temporary fuel line and see what the pressure really is at the carb. I would not use a regulator if it is not needed, but have to know what you are working with which may be different than what you were told. Ford and GM made millions of carbureted vehicles without regulators, but the fuel pressure did not overpower the float/needle seat assembly.

Comment

• jhuebner
              Experienced
              • Apr 12 2014

I will check fuel pressure before installing new carb that way I know forsure what pressure im working with, I was thinking the same about the regulator, never seen one installed from factory, I think they installed it for a quick solution, I will install new carb and fuel pump,hopefully my carb problem is solved and the fuel pressure reads between 4-6 psi, by the way I have a new gas tank and fuel lines also installed glass filter, gas is clean.

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                Super-Experienced
                • Dec 23 2008

Sounds like you have the major issues covered and all should work well for you.

Enjoy!

Comment

• jhuebner
                  Experienced
                  • Apr 12 2014

I wil post later in the week, once I recieve the carb and install it.........the result

Comment

• jhuebner
                    Experienced
                    • Apr 12 2014

Just finished installing the new carb......WOW, what a difference, after a few adjustments, idle, choke, linkage the Bird was runnin like a top.......by the way checked fuel pressure was right at 6psi, on to rebuilding the front suspension.

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Dec 23 2008

Some days everything goes as its supposed to and just comes together!!!!!!

Comment

• jhuebner
                        Experienced
                        • Apr 12 2014

Hope the days keep rollin..........

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡