X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ParTaxer
    Apprentice
    • Oct 8 2009

I'm torn; color issue.

I recently purchased a 1960 T-bird with a color that I wouldn't choose initially. It is all original with 64K original miles. It is Gunpowder Gray (dark metallic) with a red and white beautiful interior. I have never seen this color on this car before. It needs some body work , rocker panels rust, etc. so a paint job is totally necessary. I feel like I should keep the "Y" factory code for the repaint but I think White would compliment the interior better and be more appealing. Do some colors increase the value more than others or is it better to keep it original? Thank you in advance for all comments.
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

I'm torn; color issue.

Hi Michael!

Keeping it the original color depends on whether or not you intend to keep or make it all original again. An all original Tbird will probably make it more valuable should you ever decide to sell it. If you plan on improving on her, modernizing her, like putting an alternator on her, disc brakes, rack and pinion steering, or doing other modifications to her, than I would say paint her the color you want to.

But once again, she probably would have more value in her original condition. Should you be thinking of selling her in the future, keep in mind that there are a ton of white Tbirds out there, but few of the color she is now.

Can you post the data plate information? The VIN # and the other information on the plate. We like to make sure that all Tbirds we run across are recorded in the Tbird Registry that John Rotella runs. Also, it would be good to know if she was a late production run car or not. There are some differences between the early and later models.
    Last edited by YellowRose; October 18, 2009, 06:38 PM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• JohnG
      John
      • Jul 28 2003

hi and welcome!

My own guess (nothing more than that) is that the maximum resale value of the car is when the color is the same as from the factory. That might be even more true if your car has low original mileage.

The other thing that comes to mind is how hard it is to change colors and have it not be obvious that it was changed. You have to remove alot of trim and other parts. Do you, for example, remove the motor and do the engine bay?

If you are reselling the car, you might think of two potential kinds of buyers: car collectors who appreciate all that is original, or just a buyer who likes your car because of styling and color and could care less about the Data Plate, paint code or anything else. The former would appreciate the original color; the latter would get blown away by Turquoise or Coral Pink.

In any event, in the end, it's your car!!

John
      1958 Hardtop
      #8452 TBird Registry
      http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
      history:
      http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

Hey Michael,
        She's yours do what you want! Christine is now white and when I redo her I want paint her in red with a white top. Crazy? Maybe I just like red and she's a nice car!!!
        As Ray stated, front disc brakes, alternator, electric windshield wipers, bigger wheels, AC if she don't have it, chrome dress up kit, power door lock with remote and it can go on and on! I feel like as long as you don't make any drastic changes she still will bring a nice dollar if she is done right.
        Richard D. Hord

Comment

• Coral
          Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Do what you want to do...car values means nothing, the Squarebirds themselves are a small market, not too much will change your chances of a resell.

Comment

• ParTaxer
            Apprentice
            • Oct 8 2009

It appears to have been born on March 9, 1960. I feel like it would be much more expensive to try for "showgirl" status. My wife and I bought this to enjoy it. The color now looks like dark gray primer. There are a lot of modern cars with this color and some look good with luster but none of them have red interiors! I wish that there was a way to see how many were painted this color.

Thanks,
            Mike

Comment

• Coral
              Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Well, Mike we can probably figure that out, LOL
              is your bird on the tbird registry?
              the VIN and data plate information is needed for a clear view of what was what when she was ordered, the only other thing would be the Holey Grail of the ROT sheet...

Just in case here's the link to the t-birdregistry :
              http://www.tbirdregistry.com/

send me a pic at asti kennels at gmail dot com and I will post it for you...
              Last edited by Coral; October 18, 2009, 08:07 PM. Reason: inviting him to share a piccy

Comment

• ParTaxer
                Apprentice
                • Oct 8 2009

Here is the info; haven't registered yet.
                DATA TAG

BODY COLOR TRIM DATE TRANS AXLE
                63A Y 55 09C 4 3

SERIAL# 0Y71Y139020
                Will register when I can get a decent photo.

Thanks again,
                Mike

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

I'm torn; color issue.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting the VIN # and Data Plate information. That does confirm that the color is the original color and the interior was red and white when it came out of the factory. So it does not look like anyone in the past changed those. Unless they did and had a new data plate made. But probably not.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                  The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                  Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                  Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                  https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Coral
                    Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Hi ya Mike....

Y is Gunpowder Grey, also called Dark Grey Metallic
                    WHICH happens to be a RARE paint color, so I take back my original comment of repainting it any color...
                    55 is the red/white vinyl interior
                    09C is the 9th of March
                    your production number is 39020 so your bird is 'younger' than my bird at 52459

until you send me a picture to post or become a paid member to post your own, I'll use this '57 Baby Bird to illustrate the color, it is rather sharp actually...
                    Attached Files

Comment

• ParTaxer
                      Apprentice
                      • Oct 8 2009

Thanks Coral! The bird belonged to one owner until about a year ago. Garage kept but still has minor rust issues. I'll pay my dues soon and send a better picture. Camera is on the blink. I believe that makes mine older than yours, since the number is smaller. Correct me if I'm wrong.
                      Last edited by ParTaxer; October 19, 2009, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• Coral
                        Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Well, I've been corrected, LOL - you are right Mike
                        Sorry for any confusion....

Comment

• ParTaxer
                          Apprentice
                          • Oct 8 2009

By the way, I purchased this bird in Springfield, IL. I was up there last week. Close to you I presume.

Comment

• Alan H. Tast, AIA
                            Experienced
                            • Jan 5 2008

Registry

Originally posted by ParTaxer
                            Here is the info; haven't registered yet.
                            DATA TAG

BODY COLOR TRIM DATE TRANS AXLE
                            63A Y 55 09C 4 3

SERIAL# 0Y71Y139020
                            Will register when I can get a decent photo.

Thanks again,

Mike
                            It's already in Rotella's Thunderbird Registry as #1642, as well as in the database I've been compiling. Car at one time was in Granville, IA, then for sale in Omaha '97, so it's moved around the midwest. Adding your info to its listing will certainly add to its history. I assume you've already seen my thoughts about its color in the VTCI Forum.
                            Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
                            Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
                            Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

• Coral
                              Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Originally posted by ParTaxer
                              By the way, I purchased this bird in Springfield, IL. I was up there last week. Close to you I presume.
                              Rather, yes...little under 2 hours away!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎