This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:18 AM
Experienced

Hawkrod is on a distinguished road

Actually the distributor cap, points, and rotor do interchange between a 430 and a 460 but that is almost it! LOL Also note that the 430 was not a dinosaur when the 460 came out, it had been upsized in 1966 to 462 and the 460 replaced that in 1968. Hawkrod
Old 05-17-2009, 10:53 PM
Experienced

57ford/60thunderbird is on a distinguished road

ok guys its been awhile since i made this post but i finnally got the extra engine tonight and while i had it out in the sunlight i rechecked the casting number and i made a mistake when i first wrote the number down the actuall number is C9VE-B and i took some pics of the engine and heads so now maybe someone can help me id this engine
here is the link
http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLan...localeid=en_US

i hope the link works
69 roadrunner
Old 05-18-2009, 05:44 AM
Super-Experienced

tbirds8 is on a distinguished road

That,s either a 429 or 460. It.s out of something from 1969
Old 05-18-2009, 04:50 PM
Apprentice

Colo66 is on a distinguished road

It has been a while since I messed around with the 385 series engines but I believe that the 429/460 blocks are the same with the exception of the crank and pistons. Check your crankshaft for the casting ID 4U. That would indicate a 429. I am not sure what a 460 would be. The heads are interchangeable between the two with the main difference of the combustion chamber volume. The 68 429 "Thunderjet" from a Thunderbird is the best as it came with small combustion chambers with an advertised 360 horse power with either 10.5-1 or 11-1 compression ratio. The 69 was down a little on compression as well as equiped with a thermactor system.
Dont shoot me if Im wrong....My memory is 47 years old!!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 07:14 PM
Super-Experienced

Been lookin in some books and I think you have 69 lincoln 460. It sounds like V is for the lincoln line. Could be wrong. Just my feeble mind at work!
Old 05-19-2009, 07:04 AM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirds8 View Post
Been lookin in some books and I think you have 69 lincoln 460. It sounds like V is for the lincoln line. Could be wrong. Just my feeble mind at work!
The 'V' means it was originally a Lincoln part but you find those parts all over - i.e. DOVE heads on all earlier 429 - 460 regardless of what Ford car they're in.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
The 'V' means it was originally a Lincoln part but you find those parts all over - i.e. DOVE heads on all earlier 429 - 460 regardless of what Ford car they're in.
That is correct, the 69 429 will also have the V in the casting number. If it is a 460 it is a Lincoln engine, otherwise it is a Ford or Mercury engine. The only difference is the crank and pistons as was already mentioned. Check the crank csating number to see which it is. I will add that in that condition it is not particularly valuable but if somebody were specifically looking you may get up to about $200 for the longblock you have based on the pictures. 68/9 engines are not particularly desirable as the many of the 70 and newer blocks were improved. Hawkrod
Old 05-19-2009, 12:16 PM
Experienced

57ford/60thunderbird is on a distinguished road

thanks guys over on y-blocks forever they say its a 429 and the casting numbers on the heads are C9VE which according to them are good heads and were very popular as they were easy to make flow almost as good as the 429 super cobra jet DOVE heads im planning on useing this engine in my 57 sedan (if i can get the pistons out of it) ill try to see if i can find the casting number on the crank may have to wait till i knock the pistons out of it
69 roadrunner
Old 05-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Super-Experienced

I'll leave this to the experts.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:16 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57ford/60thunderbird View Post
thanks guys over on y-blocks forever they say its a 429 and the casting numbers on the heads are C9VE which according to them are good heads and were very popular as they were easy to make flow almost as good as the 429 super cobra jet DOVE heads im planning on useing this engine in my 57 sedan (if i can get the pistons out of it) ill try to see if i can find the casting number on the crank may have to wait till i knock the pistons out of it
Just an FYI, D0VE heads are not Cobra Jet heads they are Thunder Jet heads and are much lower power potential. The CJ and SCJ used D0OE heads. The C9VE heads are identical to the D0VE heads. The only way you can tell if the engine is a 429 or a 460 is from the crank casting number which you have not posted here. If you have not provided that to the other guys they are blowing smoke up your backside as far as which it is. Hawkrod