This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:51 AM
Tinkerer

Howard Prout is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
I love those dualing vacuum gauges!
As you can tell, I am a gauge nut. The vacuum gauges were a bit of a challenge. My gauges are Sunpro Style Line with the exception of the tach which is Autometer. I was quite specific in what I wanted - white face, black graphics, red needle and chrome bezel - to closely resemble the stock instrument panel gauges. Sunpro doesn't make a vacuum only guage in its Style Line series - only a Vacuum/Boost gauge, so I initially installed two of them. But I decided I really wanted vacuum only gauges so I opted for the vacuum gauges in their Retro Line series. The problems with these are that they are black faced, white graphics, white pointer and have a different bezel. So I took the gauges apart, scanned the black face plate and with the aid of GIMP ( a graphics manipulation program similar to Photoshop), I inverted the face colors and modified the graphics. I then printed the new faces on photographic paper, cut them out and installed them over the original black faces. I am currently in the process of getting more permanent faces printed on adhesive backed white vinyl. I used the red pointers and bezels from the combo gauges so that they now match the other gauges. The first picture shows the original black face and the second after image manipulation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sunpro cp7879 black 320px.jpg (17.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg sunpro cp7879 white auxiliary 320px.jpg (18.8 KB, 49 views)
"Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Last edited by Howard Prout : 03-10-2009 at 09:52 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-10-2009, 11:24 AM
KULTULZ

Exclamation

I'M IMPRESSED!

Quite resourceful...
Old 03-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Tinkerer

Howard Prout is on a distinguished road

A few days ago I wrote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Prout View Post
After I started the engine this morning and let it warm up, it was now up to 18"Hg ... So for the time being, pump #1 is staying in the engine and pump #2 will wait in reserve.
As it turned out there was some leakage from one vacuum source to the other even though there are check valves in both lines so the 18"Hg reading wasn't real. When I isolated the line from the vacuum pump it turned out to only produce about 10-12"Hg. So this morning we replaced the vacuum pump that was in the engine with the one I rebuilt. I then tested it in isolation and it produces up to 25"Hg at 2000 engine rpm- right on the specs. What is puzzling though is that the vacuum fluctuates even though the line is buffered by a check valve. Anyway, I'm happy that it is working the way it is supposed to. Now I have to try to figure out why there is leakage through the check valves. I tested both valves and they don't leak under a static test.
"Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341