This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:25 PM
KULTULZ

The Dual-Action fuel pump on the FE has an inlet and outlet fitting. The inlet ingests fresh air. The outlet goes directly to the wiper motor. The brake booster depends on engine vacuum only.

I believe (hard to say without vacuum diagram), the vacuum pump on the MEL has one line going to the motor along with a line from the manifold vacuum (tee for booster), to bypass the booster. They must combine somewheres in the cowl. The MEL pump ingests air from inside the crankcase.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:27 AM
KULTULZ

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

The Dual-Action fuel pump on the FE has an inlet and outlet fitting. The inlet ingests fresh air. The outlet goes directly to the wiper motor. The brake booster depends on engine vacuum only.
Let me clarify the above statement. The INLET port on the pump is connected to MANIFOLD VACUUM. This type of pump only supplies additional vacuum as needed as it senses (via the direct connection to manifold vacuum) manifold vacuum. If the vacuum source drops, it will begin supplying additional vacuum to the wipers.

The booster is supplied by direct manifold vacuum. The booster reservoir keeps a vacuum reserve for positive stops and as one applies the brakes, they lift off the accelerator pedal and the immediate manifold vacuum gain once again creates a vacuum in the booster reservoir.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:47 PM
Super-Experienced

GTE427 is on a distinguished road

Howard,

I have a wiper motor I took from a 60 430 car. Looks different than the one posted on this thread with five ports total, bottom line is there is only one connection port for an incoming vacuum line and one port that must be an outlet port (shown as left open on the image attached by Kultulz)

I'll assume the two lines, one from manifold the other from the pump, must hit a tee (behing the dash) then continue to the motor connection.

When time allows, I'll get an image and consult theparts books to see if different wper motors are listed for different applications or years.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Super-Experienced

GTE427 is on a distinguished road

The following pictures are of the wiper motor from a 60HT 430, built 12/59.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiper1.jpg (16.4 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg wiper2.jpg (17.2 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg wiper3.jpg (14.3 KB, 103 views)
Old 03-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Tinkerer

Howard Prout is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info, Ken. If the time comes when I have to repair the wiper motor I'll find out what the connection arrangement is. In the meantime I won't lose any sleep over it. I tested my system and know that the vacuum motor works on vacuum from either source. One aspect of this arrangement I find odd is that Ford did not include check valves in the vacuum lines except at the port on the block for the vacuum pump, but maybe that is enough. As such, the two sources are always fighting each other. The volume through the intake manifold is much larger than from the vacuum pump on the 430s, so it would seem that the vacuum from the pump would be lost when the intake manifold vacuum is low - ie. during acceleration - just when it is needed. I put check valves in both vacuum lines leading to the vacuum motor so it always gets vacuum from the strongest source - which is usually the vacuum pump according to my gauges. The neat thing with the check valves is that the source with the highest vacuum opens the check valve in its line and closes the check valve in the other line. The feeds to my vacuum gauges are before the check valves so I always know how much vacuum is available from each source.
"Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341
Old 05-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Tinkerer

Howard Prout is on a distinguished road

When I was fiddling around with the glove box light and had the glove box liner out, I had a look at the vacuum lines to the wiper motor. On mine, there is a "Y" connection just inside the firewall connecting the two vacuum sources into a single lead to the wiper motor. It looks original but that is hard to tell on a vehicle that is 50 years old. I still find it odd that there is no check valve on the vacuum line from the intake manifold. The volume generated by the vacuum pump must be minimal compared to the volume from the intake manifold so you would think that any vacuum generated by the vacuum pump would be lost to the intake manifold or am I missing something?
"Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341