Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beat
    • May 26 2017

3-Speed Manual Transmission, Overdrive

We have to do some repair work on the transmission which was already installed when we bought the car. Apart from other parts we do have to replace the Shaft Transmission Input and the Gear Counter Shaft Cluster. According to the numbers on the transmission housing it is a Borgwarner T86E Transmission (T86E-IN). Now we heard from two sources that this is not the original transmission which was installed on this car! Does anybody know more about this or can tell us who might help us with this problem in order to find out what is the correct transmission typ for our car (1960 Convertible). We are looking also for contacts which could help us to find the respective part or an entire new original transmission. Thanks to everybody.
  • 9310alloy
    Apprentice
    • Jul 2 2016

Correct T85 OD

Correct Borg/ Warner T85 OD for 1958 - 1960 T Birds. This is the transmission i rebuilt for my 60 T Bird.
    Case T85C-1A
    Tail R11-1P
    Cover T89B-148
    Apx. Length from bell housing mounting face to tailhousing end is 27 1/2"
    23spline x 1" main drive & 31 spline output spline.

The Borg/Warner T86 is not correct for your T Bird.
    The T 86 is the light duty 3 speed OD Ford used in light duty applications.

Mike
    Attached Files
    Last edited by simplyconnected; May 26, 2017, 12:45 PM. Reason: Straighten attached pictures.

Comment

• Beat
      • May 26 2017

Thank you Mike for the quick and helpful information. May I ask 3 more questions:
      1. Just to make sure; on our type plate there are the following informations: Body 76A / Date 07F / Trans 2 / Axle 9 - you are still sure the T85 would be the right transmission? (Serial number 0Y73Y166277)
      2. Are there, according to your knowledge, any fitting problems if we exchange the T86 with the T85 or do we have to take care of some other questions or do we have to take some other precautions beforehand?
      3. Can you give us your opinion about still using the T86 - are there any consequences or problems which we have to consider? We make max. 3000km (around 1800 miles)

Thanks a lot
      Beat

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

As Mike pointed out all Squarebirds that had manual transmissions used the T85. The T86 was not used on FE engines in any Ford cars. That doesn't mean however that you can't use the T86. My feeling is if the car has had that transmission in it for some time and there are no major issues then why change. If the repairs your transmission need are just normal wear and tear then I would keep what you have. The cost in finding a T85 and having it shipped to where you are will most likely be rather expensive. If you are lucky enough to find one locally you should have no fitment issues since it was originally what your car came with.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• 9310alloy
          Apprentice
          • Jul 2 2016

T85 & T86

Beat,
          Like John said..... Ditto......Only T85 in OD & straight 3 spd's.
          I also agree about using the T86 you have. Definitely not as strong but AOK as a useable transmission. Just be gentle.
          If you would need parts for repairs on your T86.?? I may have what you need.??
          Mike

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

That's funny, Coolhandluke61 just called me looking for a T-85.

All I could offer was the manual (non-OD) trans that came out of our '59 Galaxie.
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Beat
              • May 26 2017

Originally posted by 9310alloy
              Beat,
              Like John said..... Ditto......Only T85 in OD & straight 3 spd's.
              I also agree about using the T86 you have. Definitely not as strong but AOK as a useable transmission. Just be gentle.
              If you would need parts for repairs on your T86.?? I may have what you need.??
              Mike
              Thanks for all the information - at the moment we are fine with parts for the T86 - but if there is a T85 out there we would be more than happy to buy one - if we can afford it.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎