No announcement yet.

1959 T-bird Convertible

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

1959 T-bird Convertible

I was wanting to know if there was a way to get my convertible top down manually on my 1959 T-Bird? I believe the motor and everything is OK, its the switch located in the trunk that seems not to have any contact. It's like the switch fell off its contact behind the trunk panel. The switch is loose and wiggly instead of going into the postion of up and down.
    It looks like a major deal to take off the trunk panel to get to this switch to see whats going on in there.
    If there is a way to get the top down manually or if there is a trigger switch somewhere else that I could use to get the top the down, I'd appreciate it if anyone knew this information.
    Thanks Linda
  • pabob1960
    Apprentice
    • Apr 11 2004

RE: 1959 T-bird Convertible

Is this a fully auto car?

If not you should be able to disconnect the hyd clyd and lift the top

I don't know if this would work with full auto top

Comment

• byersmtrco
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 28 2004

RE: 1959 T-bird Convertible

Yes you can.

One the 60 (Full Pwr) you just unhook the hyd/cylinders at the deck lid and the top. A 59 has a different latch set up. I'm assuming,disconnect that and let the lid rest there. My 60 has the screw type latches. You can un-do them from the wheel well area, and same with the hyd cyls for the d/lid (behind rr/bumper area) The 59 just has those spring loaded lifts so that should be no problem. The top assm is heavy. Even disconnected, it takes two men and a mule to put the top down. Good luck getting it working. We've been lucky with ours. Only had problems once (Not bad for 45 yrs) The top runs up and down like a clock. One thing to remember too, when the top is about 1/2 way down, stop it and make sure the back window is folded properly. Make sure the flaps are not doubled over. It makes the top fold nicer and tighter in the trunk and will add years to the life of the top and back wdo.

I get her back from the suspension guy tomorrow . . . Swaybar in place & disc brakes that actually stop like a regular car . . .
      Scary !!!!!!

JB

________
      Weed
      Last edited by byersmtrco; April 5, 2011, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎