X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • frame30
    • Feb 21 2008

Turn Signal

1964 Thunderbird.

My last post had been about the rusted out trunk. Got the old one out, sandblasted everything, welded in the new one, new gas tank, life is good.

But now I noticed that there is trouble with the turn signals. Right brake comes on, no left brake light. Left turn signal comes on, right turn signal comes on. No right signal when you hit the brakes.

I spent several hours with the steering wheel apart thinking the "new" cam parts would fix the problem. Not even close.

I did notice, however, that there are two little "slider" connectors when the cam, plastic isolator are removed. I am wondering if these little sliders are worn out and need replacing? I cleaned them, and put everything back together.

Does anyone know if these sliders are the problem and if they can be replaced?
  • Yadkin
    Banned
    • Aug 11 2012

Brake lights work so it's not the brake light switch. Turn signals work so its not that switch either. I'd check the wiring in the trunk, near the parts that you've replaced. Are the lamps grounded properly?

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

I'm with Steve. I would pay special attention to your grounds. It takes BOTH wires to complete an electrical circuit but most folks take the ground side for granted.

Start with your parking lights to make sure each bulb has a good solid ground. I personally do not depend on spot welded fifty-year sheet metal to carry proper grounds. Modern cars run separate ground wires, too. Hope this helps. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎