Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ken 6645
    • Dec 6 2013

brake help needed fast

After getting this 64 tbird on the road I developed a simitractor type noise..I went ahead and ordered new shoes ,installed them and now the front wheel sounds like a train trying to stop....Took the wheel off ,sanded the inside of the drums...Put it all back together ,no change at all,[none]....whats next? Could the drum be out of round??Do i buy need to buy cheaper shoes ...Wish to **** I had put rotors on !!!Can't sell it like this..My financial advisor say's we are out of dollars so i'm stuck with no way to go.. Need some fast help..Help me out
    thanks for your time
    Ken6645 PM chantil@roadrunner.com
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

You can get all kinds of nastiness if the shoes aren't correctly installed. Price matters little.

Without seeing detailed pictures I am at a loss but I could give you some suggestions:

A good 'seasoned' mechanic should be well aware of the PRIMARY and SECONDARY linings. They are covered in your Shop Manual. They are usually different hardness, different colors and sometimes (but not always) different lengths. Sometimes they are stamped "PRI" or "SEC" on the side of the lining in ink.

Are the LONGER shoe linings on the rear side of each brake?
    Along with this question comes a few more because it is possible to put both short lining on one wheel and both long linings on the other. (I have seen this.)

Were the bearings re-packed? I always make this a necessary part of every front brake job. If you pull a drum off and brake dust gets in the grease, that will wipe out your bearings. If you are not sure, pull the drum off, use a wooden stick and knock the rear (inner) seal and bearing out, WASH all the parts and blow them dry with compressed air.

Inspect each roller for lamination or voids, all bearings should be shiny and smooth. Bad bearings will produce noise and the tires act just like 14" speakers. Normally the noise gets worse as you go faster.

So, put the wheel up, use jack stands, pull the drum off and carefully inspect EVERYTHING. Pictures help a lot. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎