X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

Welcome!

There is no message board on the web exclusively devoted to my favorite automobile - the 1958 to 1960 Thunderbird, so I decided to create this message board.

Feel free to post your questions and comments on this board. You must register on this board before you can post.
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Welcome!

Testing the board.

Hope to hear from someone else soon.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

Alexander,
      Great board ! Best of luck with it . Sorry I've already started posting in the wrong forum .That's so unlike me .

Comment

When will the read new work ? I'm spoiled .

Comment

hello people

Comment

:7Alexander, let me say great site. You have truly sparked my interest in these rare Square birds. I had seen some at Carlisle and shows near my house but never really took time to admire them. I guess that will change because thanks to you I see how great they really are. I might even begin a search to find a 59 or 60 convertible to restore myself. BTW your 59' is my new computer desktop background.

Comment

• Alexander
              Webmaster
              • Oct 30 2002

Bill,

Good luck on your search for a Squarebird. I can tell you what to look out for in a purchase of one of these.

Alexander
              1959 Hardtop
              1960 Golde Top
              Alexander
              1959 Hard Top
              1960 Golde Top
              sigpic

Comment

• Alexander
                Webmaster
                • Oct 30 2002

Bill,

When buying one of these cars try to buy a complete car. Most of the parts are readily available in used, repro or NOS. The hard parts to find are those unique to the sunroof and convertible. The side trim is also difficult to find for the 1958 and the 1959.

These are unibody cars. Make sure that the inner rocker panels are not rusted. It is expensive to fix. Rust in the outer rocker panels buy not much of problem since patch panels are available in repro form. Beware of faked convertibles, especially for the year 1958 (the real ones are rare since they were a late year introduction). The hardtops don't have the reinforcements in the cowl and the rocker panels that the convertibles do. You will have cracking windshields and binding door with one of these fakes.
                Alexander
                1959 Hardtop
                1960 Golde Top
                Alexander
                1959 Hard Top
                1960 Golde Top
                sigpic

Comment

Alexander,
                  Thanks for contacting me about your new site. I believe this will be extremely usefull for owners of these cars. I will be sending you additional information as I get time. Good Luck!

Comment

• Rockin Kev
                    Experienced
                    • Oct 31 2002

Can anyone advise me on this problem my rear power windows do not work!. The motor makes a clicking sound when i use the power switch but no window movement. The drivers and front passengers windows are fine but the Bird was standing for over ten years with no use!.
                    Also i like to say a big HELLO to all other members and to Bill who may be in the market for the best T-Bird check out the following link
                    http://pages.ebay.com/ebaymotors/browse/collector.html and click on the Thunderbird icon. You will see some nice Birds for sale like a nice Golde Top like mine so i may bid for this one myself!.At present i own the only Golde Top in the United Kingdom and there is Five in Europe how ever our pop star Sir Cliff Richard has a nice 59 convertible!. He is Squarebird mad and has had alot of expensive cars over the years but the squarebird is his favourite! GOOD MAN! .
                    His first was a 60 Golde Top! at the tender age of 21 this was a birthday present to himself and in 1960 England £2500.00 would buy a very nice house in London but the Bird cost over £5000.00!. His Golde Top was Monte Carlo Red with White top and matching interia he sold the car in 1970 and no one can find it. So at present i have the only one but i am trying my best to find Cliffs old 60 Bird!.
                    So its winter and the Birds off the road so its time to do those little jobs before summer as i love Cruzing with the roof wide open but would like my rear windows to work so please help!.
                    Kevin.

Comment

• Alexander
                      Webmaster
                      • Oct 30 2002

RE: Power Windows

There can be three main problems when the power windows do not work -the rollers, the motors and the switches. First the rollers can be worn or bent. This is especially a problem for the rear quarter windows since the channels are under a lot of stress since the window not only lowers but also rotates. Unfortunately the channels for the rollers can also get worn and bent. These original channels can be difficult to locate because almost all Squarebirds have this problem. The key to preventing this is to keep the rollers and channels well lubricated.

The original metal rollers are hard to get. They sell replacements made of plastic for about $3.50 each. Be sure to get the right ones. Later year Fords also use plastic rollers, but these do not interchange. All the major Thunderbird vendors have Squarebird rollers. I got mine from Bob’s Bird House and Pat Wilson.

If you have a clicking sound, the motor may be bad or jammed. Sometimes you can salvage a motor by taking it out and turning the shaft by hand while applying current. They sometimes stick from being unused for so long.

If the motor in the window is bad, they can be rebuilt.

No movement or sound on a window when moving a switch may indicate a burned, dirty or worn switch. If the problem is in the window switch, they can be taken apart and cleaned. Just watch out so you do not lose the tiny springs.

Alexander
                      1959 Hard Top
                      1960 Golde Top
                      sigpic

Comment

Hi,

I’m new on this great board and just want to say hello to all squarebird fans. Thanks to Mike L who told me about this board.

Eric (Sweden)
                        1960 Hardtop

Comment

• Alexander
                          Webmaster
                          • Oct 30 2002

Welcome Eric!

Don't be afraid to post questions and comments.

Alexander
                          1959 Hardtop
                          1960 Golde Top
                          Alexander
                          1959 Hard Top
                          1960 Golde Top
                          sigpic

Comment

• Rockin Kev
                            Experienced
                            • Oct 31 2002

HI
                            Eric
                            Have you got any photos of the Big Power Meet T-Bird display as i was planning to go to Antwerp this year but my employment spoilt play on that one . Will be going to Power meet in 2003 with my 60 sunroof its going to be one off those road trips that have to be done.
                            Kevin 60 Sunroof
                            England.

Comment

Hi Kevin,

I have not been there yet. I bought my car in late August 2002. But I plan to go there next year I should look for you and your 1960 sunroof. You can see some photos on this link:

Eric (Sweden)
                              1960 Hardtop

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎