Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tbirdmax
    • Oct 3 2009

'63 Top Is Stuck In Down Position ! !

Hi, I'm new here. Glad to see there are so many people who love these cars. This is my second '63 in 25 years. White with black interior. 130,000 original miles.

I removed a melted electrical part with the top up and trunk lid open. Went to buy a new one. My girlfriend put the trunk down because "it looked like rain" and put the car in the garage.

Now I cant raise the trunk lid because thats the section I removed the part from. Anybody know the trick to getting the trunk lid up without the electrics and hydraulics?

Is there a mechanical way to get it to open? I sure hope so.

Hey Max,
    Just a suggestion, remove back seat to gain access to locks! Some of the other guys may have a better suggestion!
    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• Itsadriver
      • May 10 2009

Do your lock down screws still opperate?
      If so all you need do do is unbolt the deck lid rams and thats fairly easy, at the rear bumper are 4 - 9/16 bolts that bolt down these rams just remove them and lift your top up carefully as these rams will still be attached to the lid.

Comment

• Joe Johnston
        Super-Experienced
        • Dec 23 2008

The best advice I received after buying a 63SR in Feb was to get the manuals. Step by step troubleshooting for these convertibles is the ONLY solution to your problem. Each failure has specific causes/fixes and can be identified by studying the books. Absolutely a must have!!

Originally posted by tbirdmax
        Hi, I'm new here. Glad to see there are so many people who love these cars. This is my second '63 in 25 years. White with black interior. 130,000 original miles.

I removed a melted electrical part with the top up and trunk lid open. Went to buy a new one. My girlfriend put the trunk down because "it looked like rain" and put the car in the garage.

Now I cant raise the trunk lid because thats the section I removed the part from. Anybody know the trick to getting the trunk lid up without the electrics and hydraulics?

Is there a mechanical way to get it to open? I sure hope so.

Comment

• byersmtrco
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 28 2004

I only have info on the 60. The base for the locks is in the rear wheel wells. Undo those, then the rams are bolted to the floor pan right in frt of the bumper.
          They say on a 60 you have to remove the gas tank to acces those. Years ago, I just dropped mine an inch..

It's a PITA no matter how ya go

Comment

• Itsadriver
            • May 10 2009

You don't have to drop the tank they're easly accesable just below the rear bumper.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎