No announcement yet.

C-6 Tranny - Starter Help

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

C-6 Tranny - Starter Help

This one is for the guys that converted to a C-6 tranny.

About a year I switched to a c-6 tranny, new Flywheel and starter. For the first few months it started fine. but for the last 8 months, I have been having a tough time. It seems like the starter continues to Jump away from the flywheel and free spins when I start the car. I will adjust it and it will work fine for a while, then without notice happen again.

I have already replaced the starter and flywheel twice plus, I have also added and removed shims.

Has any one else experienced this with there upgrade?

I am at a complete loss and frustrated!
  • byersmtrco
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 28 2004

RE: C-6 Tranny - Starter Help

What year C6 is it? I checked (and also read on antoher post elsewhere on this site ) that a 66 & later starter is req. One of the locals has a Big Block 62 Galaxie. He's got the 410 FE (390 w/428 crank) His Galaxie was orig a 4 sp . He changed to the C6. His starter went out awhile back. He called me for one. Go figure. Call the GM parts guy. Anyhow I got him a Delco reman. I used 69 LTD (fullsize) 390 A/T as the application. Went right in w/no problems.
    I'm thinking if yours worked for awhile and now cracks loose, you may have a bad flexplate. I'd check that too, along with the poss of a defective starter drive (bendex)

By the way, that 62 Galaxie RIPS !!!!! That's my next Sq/Bird Mtr !!

Good luck.

John

Comment

Thanks John,

I had 2 new starters, winded putting the other in. Although they have the same part # and are very similar. Looking at them side by side, you can definately notice the difference. I put the other in, along with replacing the flywheel. it appears to have worked for now. it cranks fine, but didn't start her up yet.

I wanted to try to squeeze a 516BB in the bird, but don't have the funds, just rebuilt the 352 last year.

Thanks for the advise!
      Marc

Comment

• byersmtrco
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 28 2004

Ok . . . So WHAT is a 516BB ?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Sounds like some bada__ crate motor you can buy.
        IS it FE configuration??
        Like I can afford it . . . Ha Ha Ha !!!

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎