No announcement yet.

Water pump exchange

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KULTULZ

Rebuild kits are readily available. They are just difficult to find as they are mostly sold wholsale to re-builders.

the kits that we supply are the same type parts style and dimensions as the O,E,M parts that were use in the beginning when the pump was first manufactured, Now because of its age over time people use different parts when re-building them and a lot of the people modify the pump to take different parts in order to re-build it, Its very important to take your old pump apart and measure and match all the parts to this kit before buying and to ask for the different type parts if your pump has been modified we have a lot of other sizes and styles of seals its up to you to tell use if you need another type before we ship remember you have the pump not us, ask about your parts dimensions.
    Last edited by simplyconnected; May 18, 2013, 01:54 PM. Reason: resized font

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Kits may be available but why pay $75 + 16 s/h = $81.00, and then I have to do all the work, when A1 Cardone only wants $63 + for a finished product with a warranty?
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• JohnG
        John
        • Jul 28 2003

"...which further adds confusion and begs another question:

Why on earth would there be any core charge if they are rebuilding MY pump?"

for $3.60 perhaps a mid morning coffee and bagel ?
        1958 Hardtop
        #8452 TBird Registry
        http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
        history:
        http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by simplyconnected

Kits may be available but why pay $75 + 16 s/h = $81.00, and then I have to do all the work, when A1 Cardone only wants $63 + for a finished product with a warranty?
          There you go...

The kits can be sourced more cheaply, but why bother? As long as the re-builder is using quality parts (you would never know).

CARDONE- http://www.cardone.com/Products/Prod...iters%3a%3a%3a

I would deal directly with CARDONE- http://www.cardone.com/about-us/service

CARDONE is a top producer of new & remanufactured vehicle replacement parts. Its extensive portfolio includes brakes, electronics, engine, fuel/air/exhaust, motors and steering.
          Last edited by Guest; May 19, 2013, 01:20 AM.

Comment

• triple60squares
            Experienced
            • Jan 25 2013

i broke down and ordered a new pump from macs last night they currently are offering 15% off cooling system parts so i got it for 110.00 no core required

i found 3 at green sales in cincinnati for 95.00 plus a 35.00 core but they are old store stock that were rebuilt and have been on the shelf for who knows how long maybe good for a on the trailer off the trailer car but i dont know about one that will be driven frequently
            60 hardtop royal burgundy/ colonial white top
            60 hardtop colonial white/red leather
            60 convertable PARTS CAR will trade convert parts for hardtop parts

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by KULTULZ

The kits can be sourced more cheaply, but why bother? As long as the re-builder is using quality parts (you would never know).
              The vendor selling on EvilBay has a captive audience.

Example shown below being more reasonable in price-

1969-70 Mustang & Shelby Concours specialty parts, Autolite alternators, driveshaft restoration, and reproductions. Collection of the best repro parts available

Comment

Also try rockauto.com. They have lots of parts and usually at a good price.

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
                  Experienced
                  • Jun 20 2012

Today I also managed to install the new expansion cap and thermostat. What was my surprise when I removed the tank and found no thermostat in there . Must say that Gary had a really precise note on this previously about the thermostat missing. Couldn't imagine that possible. Why would anyone do something like that?

Anyway, installed the new thermostat and cap and everything seems to work well sofar. After 20 minutes of idle the temperature at the manifold and the tank was around 180° and the thermostat seemed to be opening. The dash temp gauge was max between the 'M' and 'P' letters.

What I'm not sure about though is where the tank gasket should be properly placed, because:
                  a) the shop manual says: '...the supply tank gasket must be positioned on the manifold before the thermostat is installed.'
                  b) see the picture

???
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
                    Experienced
                    • Jun 20 2012

And a few photos from the surgery. Guess the radiator hoses need to be replaced as well...
                    Attached Files

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Rock&Roll Firebird
                      What I'm not sure about though is where the tank gasket should be properly placed, because:
                      a) the shop manual says: '...the supply tank gasket must be positioned on the manifold before the thermostat is installed.'
                      b) see the picture

???
                      The thermostat should be placed in the overflow tank first and then the gasket goes over it. I use Permatex to hold the thermostat and gasket in place. The picture is a little misleading.

John
                      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
                        Experienced
                        • Jun 20 2012

Originally posted by jopizz
                        The thermostat should be placed in the overflow tank first and then the gasket goes over it. I use Permatex to hold the thermostat and gasket in place. The picture is a little misleading.

John
                        Fortunately, that's how I installed it. In what places between the manifold - thermostat - tank do you apply the Permatex precisely?

Comment

• jopizz
                          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I put Permatex between the gasket and overflow tank and also on the manifold. I just feel safer doing both surfaces.

John

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
                            Experienced
                            • Jun 20 2012

Temperature Sending Unit

Does the Temperature Sending Unit needs to be replaced over time? Is it enough when it works or it can become a bit tired over time and a new one would do a more precise job?

Comment

• jopizz
                              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

They can go bad over time. Usually they either work or they don't. You have to be careful when you replace them as they are brass and can snap off.

John

Comment

• KULTULZ

Anyone notice something is amiss regarding this illustration?

Last edited by Guest; May 22, 2013, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎