X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Larry Jones
    Experienced
    • Feb 3 2009

lower ball joint squeaking

Is there something a novice can do to oil the fitting if there is one or just shoot some wd40 in there. I would imagine that the front wheel would have to come off. Is there a fitting on the outside that is visable to me without going to deep into it. I have a 62 t-bird. Hey thanks. Larry

Hey Larry,
    Unless the lower ball joint is wore that is probably not where the squeak is coming from. Check and see if there is a grease fitting under the bottom of the ball joint. If there is grease it and drive her and see if that takes care of it. If not there are rubber bushings between there and the lower control arm. I would recommend soaking them down real good with WD-40, wipe excess off painted areas. Try that and see if it helps!
    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• Petrolhead
      Experienced
      • Jul 2 2007

Originally posted by Larry Jones
      Is there something a novice can do to oil the fitting if there is one or just shoot some wd40 in there. I would imagine that the front wheel would have to come off. Is there a fitting on the outside that is visable to me without going to deep into it. I have a 62 t-bird. Hey thanks. Larry

Hi Larry

There's a grease nipple sticking out of the lower ball joint that you can grease yourself with a grease gun, and it's accessible without removing the wheel. I don't know if it'll be the source of a front end squek though, it'd have to be really dry to make a noise. Normally a sign or wear would be slop in teh ball joint.

It might pay to check that it's not the coil spring squeaking in the top cup, I believe there's an insulator that fits in there, it can wear through and cause a squeak.

I'd do the process of elimination - spray some WD40 up into the top of coil spring area first, if that's temprorarily fixes it you know that's the source of the noise.

I'd also invest in a grease gun if you don't have one, and go through and grease every ball joint. Squeeze the grease into the zerk fitting (grease nipple),and you 'll know when it's got enough as the rubber ball joint boot starts to bulge.

Hope this helps you Larry

Regards

Alistair

Comment

• Larry Jones
        Experienced
        • Feb 3 2009

lower ball joint

Thank you Richard. Larry

Comment

Hey Larry,
          You are more than welcome! Thats what we are here for is to help each other.
          Thunderbirds forever!!!
          Richard D. Hord

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎