Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tbird1044
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 31 2012

Guess you didn't want to go with the air shocks to level the car.
    If your going to do the rear brakes, and keep the drum setup, you may want to consider installing the "self adjusters". I think there is info on the TRL. I put the self adjusters on all 4 wheels, just to help with the braking until I eventually change to front disc. This is just a thought.
    Nyles

Comment

• Daleo56
      Experienced
      • Dec 27 2014

Originally posted by Tbird1044
      Guess you didn't want to go with the air shocks to level the car.
      If your going to do the rear brakes, and keep the drum setup, you may want to consider installing the "self adjusters". I think there is info on the TRL. I put the self adjusters on all 4 wheels, just to help with the braking until I eventually change to front disc. This is just a thought.
      Nyles
      Yeah, I mentioned a couple times in the other post that I was going to stick with basic shocks and have these springs re-arched since I could not find a replacement for what is on there now. Between the coil-overs, Uhaul wiring and hitch dents in the bumper this car must have towed quite a bit in its life so it probably needs a complete rear end overhaul. I will start on it this weekend.

Tonight I replaced the trunk lock I had to drill out and found the bird cover in the glove compartment. I seem to be missing the springs that keep it connected and the screw is busted off. I can find a screw somewhere so I can only assume it is just the springs I am missing? The manuals show 58-59 but not 60.

Tim Daleo
      Azusa, California
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/daleo1/albums

Thunderbird Registry Entry

Comment

• Tbird1044
        Super-Experienced
        • Jul 31 2012

I'm pretty sure they sell a repair kit for the trunk lock cover. I installed one for a friend on his car. Took a little mods, but ultimately worked.
        Nyles

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Project Snowbird - 1960 Hardtop

One of the best persons to get to know on this Forum for Squarebirds parts is Carl Heller ~ partsetal. Carl has tons of parts, and has squarebird parts cars. He probably has the parts you need. One of the things you should do, if you have not done so, is to call or email the major Tbird parts houses in the Advertisements Forum and ask them to send you their free catalogs. If you need the '60 trunk lock cover and springs or just the springs, you can get them from the Bird Nest. If you need the trunk lock bird attaching nut, they have it also. But check with Carl first. He is a great guy and a great source for Squarebird parts.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• scumdog
            Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by Daleo56
            Yeah, I mentioned a couple times in the other post that I was going to stick with basic shocks and have these springs re-arched since I could not find a replacement for what is on there now. Between the coil-overs, Uhaul wiring and hitch dents in the bumper this car must have towed quite a bit in its life so it probably needs a complete rear end overhaul. I will start on it this weekend.
            I've had success with a few vehicles that had a 'saggy bum' by getting the spring re-arched slightly AND having an extra leaf fitted.

That with new shocks and shackle bushes really made a BIG difference to the ride and handling.
            A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• Daleo56
              Experienced
              • Dec 27 2014

Originally posted by YellowRose
              One of the best persons to get to know on this Forum for Squarebirds parts is Carl Heller ~ partsetal. Carl has tons of parts, and has squarebird parts cars. He probably has the parts you need. One of the things you should do, if you have not done so, is to call or email the major Tbird parts houses in the Advertisements Forum and ask them to send you their free catalogs. If you need the '60 trunk lock cover and springs or just the springs, you can get them from the Bird Nest. If you need the trunk lock bird attaching nut, they have it also. But check with Carl first. He is a great guy and a great source for Squarebird parts.
              I have had good luck with the vendors here so far. I have already purchased parts from Macs, RockAuto, Larrys and now John at TbirdRanch. I will look up Carl today and see what he has. I was very fortunate that this car had all of its trim and interior so the things I am replacing are not too rare.

Originally posted by scumdog
              I've had success with a few vehicles that had a 'saggy bum' by getting the spring re-arched slightly AND having an extra leaf fitted.

That with new shocks and shackle bushes really made a BIG difference to the ride and handling.
              I will take a measurement, then try the new shocks, and if the tail sags a lot then I will take the springs to get arched. Based on the old pictures I have seen I would like to have the lip of the rear fender sit at the top of the inner hubcap circle. I always travel with loads of tools and spare parts so I will add in a few hundreds pounds and see if sits correctly.

Tim Daleo
              Azusa, California

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Project Snowbird - 1960 Hardtop

I thought it was interesting when you posted that you have done business with John Draxler of Thunderbird Ranch recently... I have had numerous emails from our users/members on here saying that they have not been able to get any response from their calls or emails to him over the last few years. However, I just checked his blog listed in the ad for him in the Advertisements Forum, and he is still actively selling parts. I do not know why it is very difficult to get a response from him, myself included... If you have not seen his blog, go to the ad and click on it and you will see his recent activity.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Daleo56
                  Experienced
                  • Dec 27 2014

I sent him an email yesterday asking to purchase the PCV adapter and hubcap decals. He sent a response with pricing and we are good.
                  Tim Daleo
                  Azusa, California

Comment

• Daleo56
                    Experienced
                    • Dec 27 2014

The picture above has side skirts and looks a little lower with them on.
                    Tim Daleo
                    Azusa, California

Comment

• Tbird1044
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jul 31 2012

Hub cap decals? Are these the black vinyl inserts for the stock turbine style wheel covers. I once saw them advertised, but couldn't remember who had them. If these are the ones, I would love to know how they work out.
                      Nyles

Comment

• Tbird1044
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jul 31 2012

I had my rear springs rearched/rebuilt with new bushings etc. The car still sat low in the rear. I think was part of the original design but couldn't swear to it. As Tom (Scumdog) noted, he not only had the springs rebuilt but also added a leaf. If you want the car to sit more level, I would recommend the addition of the extra leaf. Shocks with a helper spring included, might help a bit, but I haven't seen these in years. Standard shocks won't help raise the rear of the car, no matter how much money you spend on them.
                        Nyles

Comment

• Daleo56
                          Experienced
                          • Dec 27 2014

Hub cap decals? Are these the black vinyl inserts for the stock turbine style wheel covers. I once saw them advertised, but couldn't remember who had them. If these are the ones, I would love to know how they work out.
                          Nyles
                          I will post a bunch of pictures when I get them!

thunderbird, tbird, classic, vintage, flairbird, t-bird, crafts, free, technical help, parts, squarebird, aerobird, woodburning, pyrography

Tim
                          Tim Daleo
                          Azusa, California

Comment

• Daleo56
                            Experienced
                            • Dec 27 2014

I had my rear springs rearched/rebuilt with new bushings etc. The car still sat low in the rear. I think was part of the original design but couldn't swear to it. As Tom (Scumdog) noted, he not only had the springs rebuilt but also added a leaf. If you want the car to sit more level, I would recommend the addition of the extra leaf. Shocks with a helper spring included, might help a bit, but I haven't seen these in years. Standard shocks won't help raise the rear of the car, no matter how much money you spend on them.
                            Nyles
                            I agree. I do not want to raise the car, I just hope that those old shocks are holding it up!
                            Tim Daleo
                            Azusa, California

Comment

• Daleo56
                              Experienced
                              • Dec 27 2014

We spent the day at the shop and installed the painted parts, new heater hoses and radiator hoses and changed the cap and plug wires. I cleaned and degreased the inner fenders and mounted the ground correctly to the generator bracket. I also installed a new VR which solved my GEN light issue. Finally, I ran the new harness up to the solenoid and reinstalled the original FoMoCo solenoid. I thought it was bad when I first bought the car and removed it only to find out later the NSS was the issue.

I have a lot more to go but at least it is looking better. It is not the normal restoration process I am used to but we sure are having fun making this a reliable driver.

While I was working on the front the wife cleaned and sealed the the trunk and installed the new liner from Larrys.

Also, today when I got home the USPS had delivered my RediRad (from Amazon Prime 2 Day delivery!) and the extra stereo bezel I bought on Ebay. The RediRad is going in the car tomorrow for testing and the bezel is going to RetroSound so they can take measurements and see if they have a system that will work. I will post more when I get updates.

Tim Daleo
                              Azusa, California

Comment

• jopizz
                                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Are you going to replace that blue washer bag with the correct red "See-Clear" bag?

John
                                John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                                jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎