No announcement yet.

Looking for a 63 T-bird

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a 63 T-bird

I am looking for a 63 Thunderbird. I would like to find one without rust(would'nt we all!). I've been watching ebay. Just thought members could help. Thanks, Mike
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Looking for a 63 T-bird

Did you see this one in St. Louis? It was on eBay and said sale had ended. It did not say it had sold. It is a good looking car.

Also check Craigslist..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Coral
      Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

A project car or one already through resto?
      I've got about 35 / 40 ad sites to check through...PM me a price if you don't wish to post it here...but any other information would be helpful to me to send you links on...

I would like to remind you there is a sweet 60 available that is ready to roll!

Comment

Hello:
        Thanks for the help. I would like to find a car ready to roll/show. Price to $10K. I have a 63 I've taken apart in anticipation of restoration. I've come across so much rust the body work to correct it almost dictates I should cut my loses and get another bird. Rust/ cracked dash pad/bad door panels/bad repaints,are issues I would like to avoid. Please help me. Thanks, Dr. Mike

Comment

• Coral
          Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

... well this will be a challenge...

Comment

Looking for a 63 Bird

Originally posted by Coral
            ... well this will be a challenge...
            Sorry, It seems like most of the birds I've looked at have 3 out of the 4 issues I described above. I could accept one of them. Thanks, Dr. Mike

Comment

• texastomeh
              Apprentice
              • Aug 28 2007

Rust/ cracked dash pad/bad door panels/bad repaints,are issues I would like to avoid.
              COME ON, Mike - don't be a WUSS!!

Only joking you of course! RUST is the BIG one that you want to avoid as much as possible. I say; "As much as possible" because, face it, these cars are almost 50 years old and 99.9% are gonna' have some rust. Just avoid "Terminal Body ROT".

Trust me; cracked dash pad, bad door panels, bad repaint - while some work (fun?) and time consumers - are not that big of a deal!! I KNOW from experience!!

GOOD LUCK!!

texastomeh

Comment

Originally posted by bul-it
                I am looking for a 63 Thunderbird. I would like to find one without rust(would'nt we all!). I've been watching ebay. Just thought members could help. Thanks, Mike
                Mike, seems like just the other day someone in one of these posting forums had made mention that they were selling a 63 roller for $700, the engine and tranny were extra, but cheap. Maybe you can search out the post and get the man's name. His location was, I believe, in St. Louis.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Originally posted by bul-it
                  ...I would like to find a car ready to roll/show. Price to $10K. I have a 63 I've taken apart in anticipation of restoration. I've come across so much rust the body work to correct it almost dictates I should cut my loses and get another bird. Rust/ cracked dash pad/bad door panels/bad repaints,are issues I would like to avoid. Please help me. Thanks, Dr. Mike
                  Wouldn't we ALL love to find a show car for ten grand!!! Good luck. If you have a 63, you probably own one of less than one-percent left in the world (thanks to rust).

Now that all the parts are out of production, hard to find; consequently expensive, welcome to the world of 'restoration'.

Classic cars are a very poor investment. Want returns on your money? Put it in the bank and leave restoring alone. It requires multiple skills, extensive resources, and lots of money. A proper paint job costs me $2,000. I can get a whole decent used production car with modern technology for $4,000.

Unless you are passionately in love with your '63, you probably will never restore it (how long has it been apart?). So, sell it to someone who is in love with it. Give him a good price because judging from your problems, it won't be cheap to restore and it will gobble a lot of time.

I restore classic Ford cars. 99% of the job requires cleaning rust off and preparing parts. The assembly portion goes fast and easy. I enjoy wrenching on mine. (Sorry Ray) But, it is truly a labor of love. - Dave
                  Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                  --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Mike, I looked at the For Sale ad that I had earlier referred to and now see that it was you that had placed the ad for the sale of your present car as a roller with the separate eng and tranny.

Furthermore, I would agree with what simplyconnected had advised about the restoration of rusty old cars, in as much as what you've got right now certainly for $1000 would be a great place to start. At least you know what you are starting with. Best of success to you however you choose to proceed.

Comment

Looking for a 63 T-bird

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                      Wouldn't we ALL love to find a show car for ten grand!!! Good luck. If you have a 63, you probably own one of less than one-percent left in the world (thanks to rust).

Now that all the parts are out of production, hard to find; consequently expensive, welcome to the world of 'restoration'.

Classic cars are a very poor investment. Want returns on your money? Put it in the bank and leave restoring alone. It requires multiple skills, extensive resources, and lots of money. A proper paint job costs me $2,000. I can get a whole decent used production car with modern technology for $4,000.

Unless you are passionately in love with your '63, you probably will never restore it (how long has it been apart?). So, sell it to someone who is in love with it. Give him a good price because judging from your problems, it won't be cheap to restore and it will gobble a lot of time.

I restore classic Ford cars. 99% of the job requires cleaning rust off and preparing parts. The assembly portion goes fast and easy. I enjoy wrenching on mine. (Sorry Ray) But, it is truly a labor of love. - Dave
                      Dave:
                      I never said or indicated I entered the old car restoration hobby as an investment. I have had my car apart now for about 6 months. I've just reached that point of discovery where the cost of rust repair far outweighs the value of the completed vehicle. By the way I'm listed as a newbie on this site but I'm 57 years old and have restored a half dozen old cars over the years. Unlike some others on this site who bombard it with endless questions with no seeming plan to their restoration project, I know what it takes to get a project done. Your response seems to indicate I should give up and leave the serious restoration to guys like you. I would have expected more from a web site which I thought was set up to support it's members. Mike

Comment

Hey Mike,
                        Nice '63 on Ebay, item number #300375763206 1 DAY 20 HOURS NO BIDS!!! $5200.00 NO RUST!!!
                        Also '63 on Ebay, item number #320459853048 1 DAY 6 HOURS NO BIDS!!! $8,000.00 NO RUST!!!
                        Richard D. Hord

OOPS! Just goes to show I'm not perfect!!!
                        Last edited by Guest; December 13, 2009, 03:46 PM. Reason: item number correction

Comment

• Coral
                          Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Originally posted by Richard D. Hord
                          Hey Mike,
                          Nice '63 on Ebay, item number #300375763706 1 DAY 20 HOURS NO BIDS!!! $5200.00 NO RUST!!!
                          Also '63 on Ebay, item number #320459853048 1 DAY 6 HOURS NO BIDS!!! $8,000.00 NO RUST!!!
                          Richard D. Hord
                          Unless something is goofy with my PC, that first number went to a figurine of a baseball fella

Comment

Hey Cathie,
                            Thanks! Haven't you ever heard the old saying that's almost as good as Baseball, apple pie and Thunderbirds?
                            Richard D. Hord

Comment

• simplyconnected
                              Administrator
                              • May 26 2009

Why would someone bid $5,200 (the only bidder), and then renege on the deal? Something isn't right.

Here's the first auction: Item #300370130535, ended Nov. 30.

I figure the guy looked at the car and decided it wasn't worth the money. He may have lost his $500 deposit.

I noticed the car is wet for the picture, no photos of the underside or under the trunk carpet, and he says the engine has new gaskets. He doesn't say it was overhauled and he doesn't say if it burns oil.

We will see how it goes...
                              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎