Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If you can get the air cleaner off I'd like to see a picture of your carburetor from the driver side. I want to see if you have the anti-stall dashpot. That is there to keep the car from stalling out when the gas pedal is released.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• ssj335
      Experienced
      • Jul 13 2018

Thanks for suggestions. I will take a photo later on tonight. I can get the air cleaner off. That seems easy enough!

And yes the engine never stalled in neutral. It felt a little rough at lights. Setting the idle may fix everything. =)

Comment

• ssj335
        Experienced
        • Jul 13 2018

Going through paperwork that came with the car. PO looks to have replaced tuel line 9 years ago. So that's something at least. Part came from Thunderbird HQ, and when the car was lifted I was told the lines looked good and were newer.
        Attached Files

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Car Broke Down First Drive

Regarding that OIL light coming on again, as has been mentioned before.. Why would it come on? It would IF you were low on OIL! have you pulled the dipstick and checked the oil level again? As I recall, you did that in the past but it was full. But there has to be a reason why it is coming on, IF it is NOT low on oil... Perhaps the oil sending unit on the block is bad. Or the wiring from it is bad, intermittent, not getting enough of a signal to the oil light... Perhaps others will comment on this, as I am not a mechanic.. Just a Lover!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• ssj335
            Experienced
            • Jul 13 2018

This is what I am not sure about - how to tell. The OIL light goes out when I am moving and applying the gas pedal or coasting. It when I come to a stop in drive that the light comes on and feels like it wants to stall.

I wouldn't mind setting the idle if I could get instructions on how to do this.

Originally posted by Frango100
            That the engine doesn't stall when shifted in Neutral, would make me think that the engine itself is running ok, but that the resistance applied to the engine when in D, makes it stall. How is the idle speed set when in Neutral? Will it drop a lot when D is selected?

Comment

• ssj335
              Experienced
              • Jul 13 2018

I guess I don't really know the answer to this. Tried to hook up with the club's mechanic but couldn't catch him home. I will reschedule.

Originally posted by YellowRose
              Regarding that OIL light coming on again, as has been mentioned before.. Why would it come on? It would IF you were low on OIL! have you pulled the dipstick and checked the oil level again? As I recall, you did that in the past but it was full. But there has to be a reason why it is coming on, IF it is NOT low on oil... Perhaps the oil sending unit on the block is bad. Or the wiring from it is bad, intermittent, not getting enough of a signal to the oil light... Perhaps others will comment on this, as I am not a mechanic.. Just a Lover!

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If the idle speed is too low or the car is about to stall out the engine is not rotating fast enough to generate enough oil pressure to turn the light out. Nothing more complicated than that.

John

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by ssj335
                  I wouldn't mind setting the idle if I could get instructions on how to do this.
                  Kirsten,

Remove the air cleaner. The driver side of the carburetor should look like the picture. The idle speed screw is shown in the center with the spring underneath it. Turning it clockwise will increase the idle speed. Make a mark on the screw and somewhere on the carburetor body with a Sharpie so you know where you started from. Make small adjustments (1/8 turn at a time). You can do this with the engine not running. After making the adjustment test drive the car. If it feels like the car goes into gear too hard when you move the shift lever then it's idling too fast and you want to turn it counter clockwise a hair. If you come to a stop and take your foot off the brake and the car wants to creep excessively then it is also idling too fast. I don't think you will have either problem as it appears that your idle speed is too low. I imagine you won't know if it has done any good until you have the car good and warmed up. If it still feels like it's going to stall then turn the screw another 1/8 turn. Hope this helps.

John
                  Attached Files

Comment

• ssj335
                    Experienced
                    • Jul 13 2018

Thank you John! Awesome advice. I will do this.

Comment

• ssj335
                      Experienced
                      • Jul 13 2018

Update:

Drove a couple hrs today and nothing bad happened! I did two things differently.

1. Made an adjustment to the carburator as suggested (1/8 turn clockwise)

2. Drove the car in D2 setting the entire time.

I never had to shift into neutral to prevent a stall out. That's the good news. Would welcome feedback.

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Driving in D2 would make no difference as it idles the same in both positions. I would recommend driving in D1 as the pickup is much better. I would say the carburetor adjustment or the cooler temperatures are more responsible for the car not stalling.

John

Comment

• ssj335
                          Experienced
                          • Jul 13 2018

Good to know! That makes a ton of sense.

Originally posted by jopizz
                          Driving in D2 would make no difference as it idles the same in both positions. I would recommend driving in D1 as the pickup is much better. I would say the carburetor adjustment or the cooler temperatures are more responsible for the car not stalling.

John

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎