X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yadkin
    Banned
    • Aug 11 2012

My cam choice

Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller Cam. Excellent HO replacement type cam with noticeable torque and HP increases throughout the RPM range. Works with stock mass-air type injection systems.

Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 262/270
    Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 211/219
    Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .559/.559
    LSA/ICL: 112/106
    Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
    RPM Range: 1600-5600

This is the lowest, or "most stock" of the four that Lunati makes for this engine. After tweaking my ignition as much as I can and tuning my EFI unit I have an engine that idles good and has plenty of power.

That is to say it doesn't idle great. I'm used to old Ford V8s running extremely smooth. So smooth you can tell if they are idling, and accelerating like a turbine.

Is what I have what I should be expecting from this cam?
  • Joe Johnston
    Super-Experienced
    • Dec 23 2008

Higher compression, aggressive timing, and a change in cam specs all can contribute to a rougher idle than a stock build. If it runs well and has plenty of power with your modifications, you may not achieve a perfectly smooth idle. Something simple like a different set of plugs or plug wires could possibly make an improvement too.

Comment

• scumdog
      Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by Yadkin
      http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=3192&gid=289

This is the lowest, or "most stock" of the four that Lunati makes for this engine. After tweaking my ignition as much as I can and tuning my EFI unit I have an engine that idles good and has plenty of power.

That is to say it doesn't idle great. I'm used to old Ford V8s running extremely smooth. So smooth you can tell if they are idling, and accelerating like a turbine.

Is what I have what I should be expecting from this cam?
      While it's not a radical cam I would still expect a slightly rougher idle.
      Does the motor smooth out when the revs are increased a couple of hundred?
      A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• Yadkin
        Banned
        • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by scumdog
        While it's not a radical cam I would still expect a slightly rougher idle.
        Does the motor smooth out when the revs are increased a couple of hundred?
        That's the thing, it doesn't really smooth out.

Comment

• Yadkin
          Banned
          • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by Joe Johnston
          Higher compression, aggressive timing, and a change in cam specs all can contribute to a rougher idle than a stock build. If it runs well and has plenty of power with your modifications, you may not achieve a perfectly smooth idle. Something simple like a different set of plugs or plug wires could possibly make an improvement too.
          The advertised compression ration for the factory was 10:1. However, measured during tear down it wasn't nearly that. This build is at 9.63:1.

My ignition timing is 16 degrees BTDC, and mechanical increase begins at 1500 RPM, up to 18 additional at 3500.

Spark plugs are one step colder than stock. Wires are new MSD Street Fire. The distributor is a Pertronix with an Ignitor II module, Flame Thrower II coil, and a Second Strike ignition box. I've tried several settings with the Second Strike, and "0" seems to work best.

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Distributor curve (or recurve if changing service)

CLICK HERE
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yadkin
              Banned
              • Aug 11 2012

Here's a short video of a cold start and the idle quality.

This is a cold start of my '64 TBird with EZ EFI 1.0 fuel injection. The ticking at key on are the injectors firing to richen the start, the moan after start...

Comment

• scumdog
                Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by Yadkin
                Here's a short video of a cold start and the idle quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTWb...ature=youtu.be
                It sounded OK from behind (the exhaust note etc) but a lot of mechanical noise once you opened the bonnet!
                Having said that, cameras seem to enhance any sharp sounds and minimise the deeper noises so it's not generally a true indication of the noises!
                A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• Yadkin
                  Banned
                  • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by scumdog
                  It sounded OK from behind (the exhaust note etc) but a lot of mechanical noise once you opened the bonnet!
                  Having said that, cameras seem to enhance any sharp sounds and minimise the deeper noises so it's not generally a true indication of the noises!
                  There are mechanical noises under the hood but the camera mic accentuates the heck out of them. First you hear my water pump when cold, makes a scrape 1/revolution. Next is more rapid and I think it is the injectors.

Comment

• Yadkin
                    Banned
                    • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                    I have a Pertronix distributor.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎