• Show
Clear All
  • RSS Robot
    The Source
    • Jan 29 2007

Online Find of the Day: Half Ford, half Holden, all awesome

Filed under: Aftermarket, Sedan, Performance, Auctions, Ford, Holden
    The Folden - Click above for high-res image gallery

Auckland, New Zealand has a different take on the definition of hybrid. While we Americans can't stop scarfing down lithium-ion powered creations by the boatload, the Kiwis are keen to crank out creations like the one you see above. What is it? It's called the Folden, and it's one-half Ford and - you guessed it - one-half Holden. Why would someone intentionally try to mix the oil and water of the automotive universe? Because radio hosts Robert Taylor and Jono Pryor were tired of the constant back and forth between the fans of the two brands and wanted to do something that would equally offend all involved.

The finished product is far from repulsive. It wears a front clip from a '69 Mustang and the haunches of a HQ Holden. Power comes courtesy of a good old-fashioned FoMoCo 302. The whole thing was cranked out in a mere three months, and the station claims that there are over 800 man-hours in the build. The final price tag? No one seems to know for certain, but estimates put it at somewhere between $85,000 and $95,000.

The Folden is currently being auctioned off for charity. The proceeds will benefit the New Zealand Mental Health Foundation for Out of the Blue - a group set up to help combat veterans cope with depression. Thanks, Myke!

Gallery: Folden

[Source: Trade Me]Online Find of the Day: Half Ford, half Holden, all awesome originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 04 May 2010 14:01:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
  • bird 60
    Super-Experienced
    • Mar 18 2009

It looks O.K. I guess, but if I had the bucks I'd love to put together a Baby, Square, Bullet & FlaireBird to make one really special T.Bird. The HQ Holden was produced in Australia between 1971 & 1974 and sold 485,650 units. It was a very popular model & holds the record to this day. That was quite a few sales for the time as the population of Australia was only 13 million.

Chris....From the Land of OZ.

Comment

• scumdog
      Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

There also use to be an EH ('64) Holden with a Mustang style front end in NZ in the '70's, it was known as Holtang.

Don't know what happened to it though...

Oh, and the Folden goes like stink too!
      A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎