X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Ceramic Coated Exhaust Headers

Have you ever thought of having your exhaust headers ceramic coated? Howard Prout did! He just got his exhaust headers back for his '59 J Code convertible, with the ceramic coating on them. Here is what they look like below. I think they look pretty cool!
    Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

I hope they hold up better than the headers I bought (ceramic coated) for the 460 in my old camper! After just a short time it started breaking off in big chunks!
    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• 619Square
      Apprentice
      • Aug 20 2009

Looks great! Will look better on the car!
      --------------------------------
      1960 Thunderbird
      Been in my family since 1961
      Portland, OR

Comment

• Howard Prout
        Experienced
        • Feb 11 2009

I too have concerns about how well they will hold up but the shop that did them (Fireball Performance Coatings www.fireballcoatings.com) specializes in ceramic coating exhaust parts. They assured me that they would stand up. However, I didn't ask for, and wasn't offered, any guarantee that they would stand up. These manifolds were processed twice. I was told that the oven wasn't hot enough the first time and that when they started to polish them, some of the coating chipped off. So they reprocessed them. As a result it took a lot longer than expected. I guess time will tell how well it works.

BTW, Fireball is located in what I would call an auto restoration mall. There are fairly large three buildings built around a U shaped drive. Most of the space is occupied by an auto resoration business called Boot Hill Auto Resurections (www.boothillauto.ca). They specialize in muscle cars but do some TBirds as well. They have seperate shops for body/sheet metal, painting, upholstery, dyno tuning and final assembly. When I was there they were starting to assemble a Camaro from scratch. Everything had been stripped, repaired and painted and now they were starting to put it back together. I would guess there were about 10 cars in various stages of final assembly including a Mustang with valve covers that had "357" on them. It appears that they were previously in another location and had built this mall to meet their specific needs. When you look up the address up on Google Earth all you see is a green field site. There is an interesting promo video on their website.
        Last edited by Howard Prout; February 19, 2011, 01:01 PM. Reason: addnl info
        sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

The only thing that matters is if you are satisfied, Howard. I hope they hold up, but most specialty shops stand by their work if they want more customers or repeat business. Your manifolds look dynamite, I have never seen castings look so good. Your 430 will dazzle anyone with all that chrome. Good job, my friend. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎