No announcement yet.

Sunpro Temp Gauge sender

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunpro Temp Gauge sender

Just to let everyone know if you're thinking of installing a sunpro water temp gauge the sender and adapter it will NOT fit where your stock temp switch is. I bought the triple gauge setup and it seems theres no hope for the water temp gauge BUT you can install the oil pressure guage and voltmeter. But if you do I strongly recommend spending the extra money and getting the copper tubing for the oil pressure guage. The tubing that comes with it is a real cheap plastic tube that if you accidently bend or touches a hot surface will burst open and spray oil everywhere and once you crimp the ends into the brass fittings theres no going back (you have to buy all new tubing and fittings) so go the extra mile and use the copper tubing and a plus for using the copper is that you can shape and bend the copper tubing around the engine compartment to where you need it. Ill take some pictures and send them to alexander to post in the tech help page. And if your wondering i mounted the set where the stock radio used to be (never had the radio in it when i got the car so it was already a useless hole in the dash) and its a great location for visibility and not having to drill into your interior. Also only the sunpro 1-1/2" set will fit if you decide to do so
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Sunpro Temp Gauge sender

Thanks for the info. I bought a mini triple guage setup for my '59 over twenty years ago. I never put it in.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• tarps3
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 21 2003

I bought the mini triple gauge set for my '60 which has the stock 352 in it.
      The kit I bought - Sunpro - had several adapters for the water temp sending unit. I found one that screwed right in with no problem.
      Installed the same setup on a '64 Chevy truck I had also and it too was an easy deal.
      Did you check all the adapters that came in the kit? one ought to fit your application.
      Casey

Comment

Yeah believe me i did! I did the same set up on my 54 and 61 chevy 235 and had NO problem hooking them up but this ford engine just wouldnt do it. The original temperature switch hole is way too small for any of the adapters that come in the kit. The smallest adapter is the one that is alredy around the tubing from the gauge which is too big for the hole behind the distributor. The little "bullet" looking sender wont even fit in the hole. I think (if im lucky) I may be able to find a reducer that will fit inside the manifold and then open up to the 1/2" or whatever size the sunpro adapter is. It will look big and ugly but at least you will know (in numbers) what your water temp really is. If not it looks like the sender may fit where the petcock in the radiator is, so theoretically you could see both the engine temnp on the original gauge below the fuel level and then the approximate temp of the coolant/water going into the block from the radiator. Ill keep everyone posted as to what can and cant be done.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎