X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • frank58
    Super-Experienced
    • May 28 2006

New body parts

Does anyone know of any new available sheet metal, other than the standard "rockers,lower fender, dogleg" that all the regular sites sell? especially any nose pieces.

RE: New body parts

You may have to use a donor car......or fabricate pieces yourself. Places like the Thunderbird Ranch could help you with a donor car. They will simply remove the piece you need from another bird (junked car). Hemmings motor news usually lists several places advertising cars being "parted out".

Comment

• frank58
      Super-Experienced
      • May 28 2006

yeah, I kinda figured that was the only way. I have looked everywhere online and if any new body parts were available I know someone would be talking about them. A couple of months ago I did see someone advertising a complete nose as NOS, he was asking $5,000 for it. Expensive, but I did give it about 30 seconds of consideration. Of course then reality set in. You would think there might be a few fenders kicking around but it looks like the "bone yard" is the last source.

Comment

I think the problem is that these are unibody cars. When I cut mine up to repair it I felt sick to my stomach.......my car up on cinderblocks......looking like a shark got it.

Comment

• Hawkrod
          Experienced
          • Oct 31 2005

How much metal do you need? I recently bought a beautiful parts car. Absolutely rust free and great body (should have been restored). It was at the Ermie Immerso auction (as seen in Car Craft and Hot Rod magazines). He was an old tme Bonneville racer that got into building show cars and he was doing a 3 speed 1960. He bought another car for parts that somebody had started to cut the roof off of to make a parade convertible and so it was already partially apart and then I took doors, hood and deck lid for my car. Interior is gutted but it still has absolutely beautiful front and back fenders! I have been planning on cutting the parts off and eBaying them but have not got around to it. It also has beautiful floors and trunk floor. The only damage I can find seems to be one quarter panel that has some bondo on it from an accident. Let me know what you are looking for and I will stare at it closely and see what I have. Hawkrod

Here is a picture I took right after the auction: [img src="http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/259957/fullsize/dsc00120.jpg"]

Comment

• frank58
            Super-Experienced
            • May 28 2006

Both my front fenders around the top of the headlights have been ravished by Bondo Bob and the front "joiner" piece between them is tweaked as well. they can be fixed, but I really want some good solid metal to hold nice even lines between bumper and body. It's a shame because the rest of the fenders (and car) are in great condition. I'm not sure where the best place to cut would be or if it's worth it. suggestions?

Comment

>Both my front fenders around the top of the headlights have
              >been ravished by Bondo Bob and the front "joiner" piece
              >between them is tweaked as well. they can be fixed, but I
              >really want some good solid metal to hold nice even lines
              >between bumper and body. It's a shame because the rest of
              >the fenders (and car) are in great condition. I'm not sure
              >where the best place to cut would be or if it's worth it.
              >suggestions?

Same problem I have with mine.

Webs.com has been shut down on the 31st of August 2023. Find out what that means for your site and how to move it to another provider.

Webs.com has been shut down on the 31st of August 2023. Find out what that means for your site and how to move it to another provider.

Comment

• Alexander
                Webmaster
                • Oct 30 2002

The Squarebird body looks continuous form front to back, but that is because all the seams are filled. It is natural to cut at the seams.

I have a diagram somewhere that shows all the body sections. I will dig it out.

Alexander

>Both my front fenders around the top of the headlights have
                >been ravished by Bondo Bob and the front "joiner" piece
                >between them is tweaked as well. they can be fixed, but I
                >really want some good solid metal to hold nice even lines
                >between bumper and body. It's a shame because the rest of
                >the fenders (and car) are in great condition. I'm not sure
                >where the best place to cut would be or if it's worth it.
                >suggestions?

Alexander
                1959 Hardtop
                1960 Golde Top
                Alexander
                1959 Hard Top
                1960 Golde Top
                sigpic

Comment

• frank58
                  Super-Experienced
                  • May 28 2006

Travlin, your "before" photo looks like mine... I'm pretty sure the "after" will be the same once I remove all the cra... uh, I mean bondo.
                  Thanks Alexander, any diagrams/pictures of anything "bird" are always appreciated. It's a shame nobody has stamped out a few fenders, I'm sure many would sell.

Comment

• Alexander
                    Webmaster
                    • Oct 30 2002

This picture is from the blue Ford parts book.

The original dies for the 1958-60 Thunderbirds were wiped out when they made the two stainless steel cars at the end of the production run. Stainless steel is harder than conventional steel.

The present body patch panels leave a lot to be desired in terms of fit. Our cars are rising in value over the years. It may become worthwhile for someone to produce body panels for our cars.

Alexander
                    1959 Hardtop
                    1960 Golde Top
                    Alexander
                    1959 Hard Top
                    1960 Golde Top
                    sigpic

Comment

• frank58
                      Super-Experienced
                      • May 28 2006

Alexander, great picture, I have a very lousy copy of the same thing... now I can actualy see everything. I wonder if anyone would (or could) make new dies for the fenders?
                      On the "patch panels" that are available everywhere, you mentioned that the fit left something to be desired... are all the panels from the same manufacturer? or are some better quality than others? I have seen some price differences............ Has anyone bought panels and been pleased or disappointed???

Comment

I had to replace both rockers and part of both front fenders (behind the wheels) The panels were pretty sturdy.........but you will have to work with them a little to get them to fit right.........you wont be able to just fit them right up and go like a bolt on fender. If I had to grade them id give a B+.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎