No announcement yet.

Dash wiring management

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dash wiring management

After taking instruments cluster out of dash, to find out why brake lights did not work, I found a tangled mess of wires. I found brake light wire had broken off the ignition switch. I found the wire from the constant voltage regulator, to the fuel and temperature gauge was burnt so bad the wire and the jacket had separated. The reason my dash lights were not working, was because the rheostat on the headlight switch had gone bad. After sorting through the wires, untangling them, adding new wire end terminal to brake light wire, new wire from CVR to fuel/temp gauge and getting new headlight switch. I went to mass confusion, to something that is very simple.
    Here are some before and after pictures!
    Attached Files
  • Howard Prout
    Experienced
    • Feb 11 2009

Nice job, Richard. That's a hornet's nest I hope I don't ever have to get into - however I did have to repair a broken wire to one of my dash lights the other day. The rheostat for the dash lights in the headlight switch does seem to be prone to oxidation over time. Every spring I have to rotate the headlight switch back and forth many many times before it works properly again.
    sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• protourbird
      Experienced
      • Apr 29 2008

Howard, try contact cleaner, available from Radio Shack and other electronics stores, on your rheostat the next time and Richard you're welcome to come to Florida and do the same to my 60.
      sigpic
      Jim

protourbird

Comment

Hey Jim,
        I would love to come to Florida and help get your dash wiring straighten out. My mother and father in law own a home in Hernando. I have been so busy here in Kentucky, I cannot get free to do nothing, I'm almost at a point I cannot even take time to breath. The pictures I posted were taken a week ago, and I have not finished her yet. If you decide to tackle it it's not that bad. I went to search on or Squarebird's web sight and typed in headlight switch and also checked ignition switch. Printed out wiring diagram, and went to work. Once you figure out where every wire goes to, its pretty simple. WARNING!!! Do not hold the ignition switch and start the car! I did this to check a few things, and Christine lit me up WOOOO!!! My computer is down and I'm borrowing the wifes laptop. If you decide to tackle this and need some guidance, give me a hollar!
        THUNDERBIRDS FOREVER!
        Ricahard D. Hord
        Last edited by Guest; March 31, 2009, 06:22 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

• lawyercalif
          Experienced
          • May 12 2011

I know this is an old thread, but I am wondering how he got the instrument panel off without removing the dash?

Comment

• Dakota Boy
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 30 2009

there are about five little speed-nuts holding the instrument panel to the dash. Not real easy to see them.
            http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

Hey Daniel,
              Once you get the instruments out you will have to feel for the speed nuts Dakota spoke of! Below you will find a back picture of instrument cluster!
              Richard D. Hord
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Guest; August 30, 2011, 12:52 PM.

Comment

• lawyercalif
                Experienced
                • May 12 2011

Thank you. I knew they were there, I just was'nt sure how to reach them. So if I can get my big clumsy fists through the hole after removing the speedometer I may be able to reach them. Sure is better than having to remove the dash.

Comment

Hey Daniel,
                  Blood, sweat and tears, it will all be worth it someday No cursing!
                  Richard D. Hord

Comment

• tbird430
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jun 18 2007

And...... Disconnect the battery 1st!!!
                    sigpic
                    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎