Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnG
    John
    • Jul 28 2003

Am reporting back on two non functioning regulators.

#1: a member generously sent me an older , used one which I hoped to have as a backup. Unfortunately it was DOA.

But, along with the information provided in this thread, it provided a test case to figure out just what was wrong with it.

The diagram earlier reveals only 5 components: 2 resistors and 3 relays. Not bad to check out. They all checked out correctly.

Next: the connections between components. The connection between the Alternator post and the lead to the activation relay occurs at a copper piece rivetted on one side and soldered on the other side.

The rivet showed some resistance inspite of metal to metal appearance. I soldered the two pieces together and installed it. Seems to work fine now. Could use some fine tuning but I got over 13.5 volts with the engine revved up a bit. Had nothing before.

#2: This was the Brand X regulator I bought years ago and which functioned for a couple days once. Made 1974. Took the cover off and took a careful look at the points associated with each relay. The ones associated with the activiation relay were almost totally misaligned. In other words the upper point beside the lower one rather than above it. Perhaps able to touch just a tiny bit with some luck. ( I have photos of both regulators but my files are too big to upload here). So it was simply never assembled properly, or looked at once it was assembled. I am also guilty of assuming it was put together properly. Don't take simple things for granted! The goal is to bend things into place and get it to work correctly.

Overall moral: these things are pretty simple and with the diagram earlier and a multimeter (and eyes) one can probably debug them and save them from getting tossed.

John G
    1958 Hardtop
    #8452 TBird Registry
    http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
    history:
    http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Good man, John. #1 and #2 both work as they should thanks to your troubleshooting and repair! Glad it all worked out for you. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Dan Leavens
        Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Look at you go Mr. G
        Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
        Thunderbird Registry
        58HT #33317
        60 HT (Sold )

Comment