Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Don't be shocked if the body shop quotes you repairs that are well over $2000. Doing panel replacement and painting is very expensive.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• ssj335
      Experienced
      • Jul 13 2018

Ouch, I sure hope not but I'm prepping for the possibility. Would probably be unable to proceed. =(

Originally posted by jopizz
      Don't be shocked if the body shop quotes you repairs that are well over $2000. Doing panel replacement and painting is very expensive.

John

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Kirsten's '59 Squarebird Rust Issues

The Bloodhound has had his nose to the ground again, looking for inner rocker panels in the event that Kirsten runs into that problem when she gets that Bird in the air. One of the most knowledgeable people I talk with when I am looking for parts is Don at the Bird Nest. He know who they order from, who is supplying what parts, etc.. I told him that we have a new owner of a '59 Tbird on the Forum who MIGHT have inner rocker problems and asked him if he knew of anyone who supplied them. He then told me this...

If you need inner rocker panels, for a Squarebird, some of the guys who have had to go the route of replacing them used ones from the 1957 & 1958 Full Sized Fords, Fairlane and Galaxie! He said they fit right in without major modifications. In fact that is what he is using on a car he is working on. He also told me they are available through Mac's Auto Parts there in NY. There are 4dr units and 2dr units, and the 2dr's cost $52 for the Left and $50.29 for the Right! So, IF you need inner rocker panels, there ya go! Here is the Mac's link. Look for the two that are for 2Dr 1957-1958 Fords.

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_m...+panel&x=0&y=0

There have been a number of Squarebird owners on this Forum who have had to replace their inner rocker panels. I would like to know if any of you have used the 1957 & 1958 Full Sized Fords, Fairlane and Galaxie inner rocker panels. If you did, please let us know how that worked out for you, how the fit was, any problems you might have run into. As I said, Don told me that some of you have used them with no problems encountered.
        Last edited by YellowRose; July 18, 2018, 06:31 AM. Reason: Additional Comments

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• ssj335
          Experienced
          • Jul 13 2018

Thank you! That's wonderful news. Those rocker panels seems very reasonably priced. Thanks for digging around. Totally doable if necessary.

More concerned about the rear quarter panel area - i know that's the more costly piece.

But this is great news!

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Just remember that those are not reinforced for convertibles as full size Fords are not unibody but body on frame. Full size Ford convertibles have an X frame for reinforcement. They will probably work fine on hardtops.

John

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by ssj335
              Thank you! That's wonderful news. Those rocker panels seems very reasonably priced.
              Replacing inner rocker panels is not a matter of the materials used, it's the labor involved. Whether you use prefab rockers or 2 x 4 stock there is considerable cutting and welding that's involved. That may double or triple what it costs just to do the outer rockers. I hope in your case that your inner rockers are ok. Paying a body shop to replace both inner and outer rockers as well as doing quarter panel repair and touching up the paint usually exceeds the value of most Squarebird hardtops when you add in the purchase price.

John

Comment

• mh434
                Comfortably numb
                • Jan 10 2017

It looks scary, but it should be fairly straight forward for a good bodyshop. It may sound strange but I’d rather have a lot of rust visible on the outside than a smaller amount hidden in the structure. And it could be worse......you could be trying to do it outside of the states..I’m running out of places to hide hefty parts invoices..!

Jon
                Jon
                Deepest Hertfordshire
                Old enough to know I'm right...
                1960 Hardtop T'bird
                1961 Hotchkiss M201

Comment

• ssj335
                  Experienced
                  • Jul 13 2018

Thanks John, and All.

This next question is probably not straight forward to answer. But, if the rust issues were completely fixed what do you think the value is on my 1959 (provided there aren't any mechanical issues and the interior is in very good shape)?

Once I learn the extent of rust and cost to repair I will be able to know whether it is worth proceeding with.

Besides the value of loving the car and the value of the fun it will be to drive it around!

Replacing inner rocker panels is not a matter of the materials used, it's the labor involved. Whether you use prefab rockers or 2 x 4 stock there is considerable cutting and welding that's involved. That may double or triple what it costs just to do the outer rockers. I hope in your case that your inner rockers are ok. Paying a body shop to replace both inner and outer rockers as well as doing quarter panel repair and touching up the paint usually exceeds the value of most Squarebird hardtops when you add in the purchase price.

John

Comment

• ssj335
                    Experienced
                    • Jul 13 2018

p.s. how many posts do I need to make to get past "newbie" status on these forums? =)

lol

Comment

• mh434
                      Comfortably numb
                      • Jan 10 2017

You will soon get there as there will be lots of questions...none of them are stupid, and someone will always have the answer..
                      Jon
                      Jon
                      Deepest Hertfordshire
                      Old enough to know I'm right...
                      1960 Hardtop T'bird
                      1961 Hotchkiss M201

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by ssj335
                        But, if the rust issues were completely fixed what do you think the value is on my 1959 (provided there aren't any mechanical issues and the interior is in very good shape)?
                        Assuming that all your chrome is above average and the paint is really nice the price is probably in the $10K-12K range. Your interior is very nice. Unfortunately the value of Squarebird hardtops has dropped from it's peak 10-15 years ago. The real value in Squarebirds is the convertibles and even they have dropped in recent years. I used to buy and sell a lot of hardtops but have not in recent years because the resale value is not there.

John

Comment

• ssj335
                          Experienced
                          • Jul 13 2018

Thanks that's really interesting to know. A convertible would be amazing to get at some point in the future.

Assuming that all your chrome is above average and the paint is really nice the price is probably in the $10K-12K range. Your interior is very nice. Unfortunately the value of Squarebird hardtops has dropped from it's peak 10-15 years ago. The real value in Squarebirds is the convertibles and even they have dropped in recent years. I used to buy and sell a lot of hardtops but have not in recent years because the resale value is not there.

John

Comment

• Sherman
                            Experienced
                            • Aug 22 2009

I had a similar dilemma back in 03. The hard top I had was in bad shape. Back in the 80's it was my fathers parts car. I calculated the cost of restoring it verses restoring a convertible. Long story short, the convertible I ended up buying was also rusted in all the usual places, but when it was "done" (I don't think I'm ever done) I was glad I went the convertible route.

If the body work estimates on yours come back ridicliously high, you can always ensure that the car is safe to drive, and have fun with it until you find a more restorable one.

PS
                            Those convertibles are still out there: https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/c...621851119.html

Comment

• YellowRose
                              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Kirsten's '59 Squarebird Rust Issues

To answer your question regarding how many posts does it take to leave the Newbie ranks, it is 30, and you are 8 posts away from that... For those who might have the same question, here is the answer.

Newbie 0
                              Apprentice 30
                              Experienced 100
                              Super-Experienced 500

Alexander, our Founder, had 3,337 posts before his passing 10 years ago. Dave ~ simplyconnected, our webmaster, has 7,435 in the 9 years he has been with us. John ~ jopizz has 5,249 in the 9 years he has been with us. Dan Leavens has 4,846 in the 12 years he has been with us. Me, I have 12,398 in the 10 years I have been here...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• ssj335
                                Experienced
                                • Jul 13 2018

Thanks for the advice Sherman.

When I get a couple quotes I will run it by you all to see your opinions on whether to move forward or give up. Either way I like the idea of enjoying the car for the next few months before letting it go (if it had to come to that).

I'm in love with the color but I am trying to remain realistic and not "fall in love" with the car yet.

Convertible would be super. But seems like a pricier thing to get involved with.

Originally posted by Sherman
                                I had a similar dilemma back in 03. The hard top I had was in bad shape. Back in the 80's it was my fathers parts car. I calculated the cost of restoring it verses restoring a convertible. Long story short, the convertible I ended up buying was also rusted in all the usual places, but when it was "done" (I don't think I'm ever done) I was glad I went the convertible route.

If the body work estimates on yours come back ridicliously high, you can always ensure that the car is safe to drive, and have fun with it until you find a more restorable one.

PS
                                Those convertibles are still out there: https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/c...621851119.html

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎