X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • inheritance
    Apprentice
    • Aug 2 2007

Fuel Pump gave up

My fuel pump on my 62-63 390 has seemed to quit pumping. Would it be wise for me to rebuild this pump or just replace it with another one?

Thanks

This pump has a vacuum line attached to it as well
    59 - 390 Super Marauder- Hickory Tan Registry= http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33831
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The problem is finding rebuild kits that work with todays Ethanol based fuels. Older rebuild kits don't last very long. If you do find a kit it's probably going to cost nearly as much as a new pump so I recommend going with a new one. Rockauto.com is about the cheapest and we get a 5% discount. You might find one on Ebay for less money but you don't know how long it's been sitting around.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Infinite Monkeys
      Apprentice
      • Aug 24 2017

My understanding is that the vacuum ports on the pump are for the wipers. Mine are not working, so I can't say for sure.

I bought a pump on ebay a few months back for about $40. It has the two vacuum ports on it, but are not yet hooked up.
      The part # for the one I got is Amoco 3461. It is NOS, so as John said, there's no telling how long it may last.
      Do you have one, or two ports?

If you don't have vacuum operated wipers anymore, then 390 mechanical pumps are easy to find.
      You might want to consider an electrical pump also.

Comment

• partsetal
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 4 2005

Currently the new kits cost about half the price of a new pump. One reason for the pump not working is that rust from the tank may be stuck in one of the one-way valves in the pump. Best practice is to have a filter before the pump if you are using an old gas tank.
        Carl

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎