Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 3dpsycho
    • Jun 26 2009

Alternative to $$$ FPA Headers?

Hi, I got a 1958 tbird not only because of the incredible styling, but also because its a nice inexpensive classic to purchase and parts are easily obtainable.
    Anytime though you want to do anything to the powerplant however, watch out! This area of concern is the monopoly FPA seems to have on headers for the squarebird. Is there any alternative to them... if you take a look at the two links, I included one to Sanderson Headers... as you can see they look virtually identical... only Sanderson is half the $$$ anybody have luck/tried Sanderson headers, can headers be slightly, "tweaked" to make fit?
    FPA

Sanderson 1960-64

Sanderson 1965 up

also you see occasionally cast headers that are time period performance made for the 1960-64 galaxy, but those supposedly don't fit either... (plus their efficiency is questionable)
    Thank
    Brian
    Last edited by 3dpsycho; February 15, 2010, 08:41 AM.

Hey Brian,
    Check out www.fordpowertrain.com
    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• wfopossum
      • Oct 19 2009

3D psycho is asking if the sanderson headers will fit a 60 bird also. I'd like to know too . I'm sure the fpa headers are a top quality header but they are a bit spendy. The fpa and sanderson headers do look very similar.

Comment

• protourbird
        Experienced
        • Apr 29 2008

According to Sanderson their headers do not fit. Evidently the steering box is enough of an issue that they won't work. I also tried them all but eventually it became apparent that Ford Powertrain was the only choice. Yes they they are quite pricey but the service and the fit were top notch.
        sigpic
        Jim

protourbird

Comment

• 3dpsycho
          • Jun 26 2009

Hmm... not good enough... 800 way too much for a squarebird or any other car really for just part of an exhaust... there has to be another way... certainly there has to be someone out there that has something, or has taken something and bent the headers a little (is that possible?)... I have put in a request to sanderson... how many other people would go the sanderson 400 option if we could convince them there is enough of a need?

Comment

Hey Guys,
            Try to find someone who can make them. There has to be someone that can take the old stock manifolds and custom make headers!!!
            Richard D. Hord

Comment

• byersmtrco
              Super-Experienced
              • Sep 28 2004

Stock exhaust manifolds ?

Ha ha !!!!

Nothing else will work, due to the strg gear being 1/16" away from the engine. Once again . . . What WERE they thinking ??!!!
              Making an eng compt big enough to put a Cat Diesel in and have the strg/gear that close. Oh well.
              One of the members sent me pics of the high$ headers on his, I can post em if anybody wants.

Because yeah, those "log" exhaust manifolds . . . What a lousy design. The exh exits the engine into a wall.

Comment

• 3dpsycho
                • Jun 26 2009

Apparently FPA made it work, so someone out there must be able to do this as well (hopefully someone a lot cheaper)... if anyone seeing this thread and dosn't know of an alternative maybe at least visit Sanderson's website http://www.sandersonheaders.com/contact_us.php
                and send in a request for headers for our squarebirds since they are the closest to fitting/ looking like FPA's... if there is enough of a demand maybe they'll "reconfigure" what they have.
                That would be great.

Comment

• 3dpsycho
                  • Jun 26 2009

so what were the clearance problems on sandersons...

so what were the clearance problems on sandersons headers... I know a few of you tried, and talked to sanderson myself about these, but no one has indicated the exact problem of fit... if they where just the shock towers, couldn't those be cut away a little to accommodate (would there be a problem with that)?... how far were they off? could they have been bent a little to fit?

Comment

The STERing box is in the way on the drivers side. You can buy everything you need to make your own from summit. And after all that these 4000lb. cars just won't fly.

Comment

Funny you should ask!

Sitting on my garage floor this very minute is a pair of Sanderson's "block hugger" FE headers that they told me would work. The steering box is the least of the problems...the frame tube is in the way on both sides..even the easy side does not fit. Yes, Sanderson is being very good about the return...even paying my return shipping, but it's gonna set me back two weeks while I wait for FPA to make mine. Just pay the extra $$ and get the right parts. My research has told me that the only other option is custom made..and that make the FPA's look cheap!
                      Last edited by Guest; March 4, 2010, 11:46 PM. Reason: pictures did not post

Comment

• 3dpsycho
                        • Jun 26 2009

sanderson headers...

actually I have a pair they just sent to me I was going to try... ok so lets say I'm willing to cut into the shocktowers (is that the frame tube you are speaking of?) how far off is it hitting the steering box... would the angled flanges work, or could the headers be bent a little to clear? what exact areas are you having problems with... (sorry I just have thing aversion to paying 800$ to someone who knows they have a monopoly on this when every other header type is significantly less, its the principal of things)

Comment

• wfopossum
                          • Oct 19 2009

Sanderson headers,fit or not?

I wrote to sanderson asking about the headers and they said they'd fit a 60 tbird,I talked to a fella named Denver. I wonder if there's a miscommunication on exactly which model of tbird we're talking about,perhaps if they see there is enough interest in the headers they'll re-engineer them to fit the squarebird.

Comment

• RustyNCa
                            Super-Experienced
                            • May 31 2007

Originally posted by wfopossum
                            I wrote to sanderson asking about the headers and they said they'd fit a 60 tbird,I talked to a fella named Denver. I wonder if there's a miscommunication on exactly which model of tbird we're talking about,perhaps if they see there is enough interest in the headers they'll re-engineer them to fit the squarebird.
                            Hmm, when I called them when I was wanting to run a set on my 58, they told me no they won't fit, but we would be glad to make you a custom set, just bring your car in to us. If I remember right they guessed that set would run around 800 to 1,200.

Their shop is about a 2.5hr drive from me, I might have done it, if the cost had been half that.... If you all can convince them to make some for a decent price and they need a test vehicle, I am up for taking my car down and letting them have at it.

Comment

• 3dpsycho
                              • Jun 26 2009

Thanks for offering up your car as a guinea pig rustyNca... yeah, they should cut you a break as by now in addition to me at least a few of you have tried contacting them and should see the interest.
                              Yeah I think Denver was the person that replied to me as well, which is why I ordered them too... if JCLipka had so many interferances with these with no wiggle room to modify, I'm a little leery of even attempting to take them out of the box when I get them in case I bang them up too much trying it, I'm afraid I'm going to have to send them back until I hear some better news from either a member or sanderson other than Denver on an better fit.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎