• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dgs
    Super-Experienced
    • Feb 13 2003

Originally posted by bcomo
    My 60 with PB and A/C has a 1" MC
    You're making me question my memory, but I was sure mine w/o AC had the 1 1/8". When I get it uncovered, I'll check.
    DGS (aka salguod)
    1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
    www.salguod.net

Comment

• Meridious
      Experienced
      • Nov 16 2007

Mine with AC is 1" and so I suppose that is why The Bird's Nest worked. I think I got it all set up prior to even realizing there were 2 sizes. Eeek. Its fine.

If it 'used' to be 1/1/8, then someone had already done whatever had to be done to change it over to 1"

:P

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

1960 Brakes

This is a bit off topic, but it might be information you need. I have been having problems with my brakes pulling to the left sharply. While the brakes were being worked on, I noticed that the lower retracting spring shown in the 59 Tbird shop manual front brake picture was missing from both front brakes. That is the spring that is right under the wheel cylinder. I have been told that it is really not needed and the reason why they are often missing from our Birds is because they break easy.

Wanting to have them put on, I went on a search and found they are not the easiest thing to locate. Bird Nest does not have any. However, Thunderbird Hqs. does, so I ordered two of them. Bart sent me a picture of what it looks like and the dimensions. If you want to see it, go to Photobucket here.

At least, if you need them, you now have a source, if you did not before.

Best Regards,

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

I kind'a think if ford put em there. I want them. Just my 2 cent.

Comment

• ncbird
            Experienced
            • Jan 5 2008

spring

What would return the shoes to rest if it wasnt there? Wouldnt they just rub against the drum? all I know is that working in a service station in the early 60's if it came off it went back on. oh yea gas was 29 cents a gallon.
            Grant
            NCbird on the Coast of NC
            "Dads Bird" for my father

Comment

• Meridious
              Experienced
              • Nov 16 2007

That is what the left and right retaining springs primary job as well. I've come across several old brake systems with a center retracting spring and with most of them, they are gone. Their primary function could not have been as the sole retractor or main retractor of the shoes,(the tension is not that great at all) else my vehicle's passenger front brakes (for one) would have been worn to smithereens as it seems the last time my brake shoes were replaced was 20ish years ago, and the spring has long since been gone on the passenger side.

You can easily create your own if yours are gone. The tension is not great (Not at all) and with a little creativity and some springs left from your old set, you can create 2 that will work fine. I have complete new spring kits for both wheels, but looking at the old springs left over, I could put one together in no time were none available in a pinch.

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

1960 Brakes

I got my front brake lower retracting springs today from Thunderbird Headquarters. They look exactly like the picture that Bart sent me that I posted on Photobucket. TB Hq. called them a 1957 Helper Spring.... $2.50 each. Part #2035B. They might be off a 1957 Tbird, but they are certainly shown in use on the front brakes in my 59 Tbird Shop Manual..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• 63-4drpost
                  Experienced
                  • Feb 14 2009

get rid of that single piston M/cylinder

I feel a lot safer with the 1973 Dodge 3/4 ton pickup dual master cylinder I installed on my 1960 T-Bird! can't see any reason to risk your life with an obsolete single "widow maker" it is really easy to do, no proportioning valve if you stay with the drum brakes. Mine works great.

EDIT: Added Henry's Pictures...

It bolted right up if I remember right. the brace for the clutch master cylinder is temporary, sorry for the poor quality of work. I start some of these things, then have to refine them.Thanks for your help.Henry
                  Last edited by simplyconnected; January 21, 2013, 12:27 AM.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

Dual M/C is the ONLY choice for every vehicle on the road. Can you show pictures? I would love to see your setup. If you have difficulties, send the pics to me and I will post them for you:
                    simplyconnected@aol.com
                    - Dave
                    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎