This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:51 AM
Super-Experienced

Deanj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
Only the passenger's side (the RH side) is flat because the heat riser valve bolts directly to it. The other side of the heat riser is domed to accept an exhaust pipe flange that may be 'off' by a lot.

The heat riser (or substitute 'blank' bypass) valve is important. Without it, there will be a big gap and a mismatch of fittings.

If your machine shop milled your exhaust manifold 'flat', that is all you need. The rest of the parts will compensate for small changes. Is your leak between the manifold and head? - Dave
No Dave, the leak is between the manifold and exhaust pipe. That actually made the shop feel better when this leaked the first time, knowing it wasn't the problem between the manifold and head.

This starts out small to where you think: "I never noticed that this sounds a little like an old 283." Then within about 15 miles it's very loud.

Is the expansion and contraction causing the gasket to fail because the surfaces aren't flat? That seems to suggest the connection gets loose? Whatever, I'm bugged because I've never had an exhaust with this problem. I had exhaust pipes pull apart from pressure, and exhaust that leaked passed super tightened clamps, all of which were corrected with a second or different clamp.

Good thing it's a warranty issue, but you start waiting for it to return.

Dean
Old 05-23-2018, 01:42 PM
Super-Experienced

Exhaust leak at the left exhaust manifold to exhaust pipe fixed.

The problem was a warped exhaust pipe flange that the shop ground flat, and then installed a beefier gasket with a raised ID lip. I'm disappointed that gaskets are so "delicate".

Okay, so now it doesn't sound like a diesel anymore. It does have a great deep throaty sound from the tail pipes. I hope this fix lasts.

Dean
Old 08-16-2018, 01:32 PM
Super-Experienced

Driver's side exhaust manifold to heads leaking again. This was milled flat twice, and then still required a gasket. Always something.

I know the car didn't come with gaskets, but I noticed the passenger side had one installed years ago. My shop found copper Mr. Gasket exhaust gaskets with the raised embossment around the ports.

I hope this works because I wouldn't mind driving the car a few hundred miles without an issue.

Dean
Old 08-16-2018, 09:14 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I hope this works because I wouldn't mind driving the car a few hundred miles without an issue.
Yeah - mine lasted 1000 miles before the standard style gasket developed a leak.

Machine shop milled both and I reinstalled with no gaskets. That was about 5-6K miles ago.

I was a little worried about the drivers side (lower one in the pic). Didn't seem to have enough surface to seal properly. You can see where he was milling down into the cast numbers. Said he could have gone a little further but was sure it was good enough. Luckily he was right.

Hope the copper gasket style works for yours. I remember what a pain in the rump that work was.

Eric
Old 08-17-2018, 03:06 PM
Super-Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKheld View Post
Yeah - mine lasted 1000 miles before the standard style gasket developed a leak.
Eric
I don't know why milling didn't work for mine other than something isn't flat.

It would be nice to know if 390 style fit. Maybe it's a better product. Even the flange gasket is the doughnut 3 stud style on a 390 exhaust manifold.

The copper, I'm told, is a racing application.

Dean
Old 08-17-2018, 05:10 PM
Super-Experienced

I have these drivers side manifolds from a 390 or 360 out in the garage.

If you want to try one or both of them I'll send them for the cost of shipping.

In the upper pic the top one is a C5TE... ('65 - think the "T" designates truck) and the lower one is a 3CSE.... ('63)

Bought them at a show/flea market about 20 years ago. Guess if I haven't used them by now I probably never will. Think I robbed one or both of the exhaust pipe studs.

Looks like they would need to be surfaced.

Eric
Old 08-18-2018, 11:04 AM
Super-Experienced

Quote:
...If you want to try one or both of them I'll send them for the cost of shipping..."

Eric
That is very generous of you Eric. Thanks, I'll try the copper gaskets first and then re-examine what the heck I do next if that fails.

You and others from this forum are very kind and helpful.

Dean

Last edited by simplyconnected : 08-18-2018 at 11:47 AM. Reason: fixed the quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:12 AM
Super-Experienced

No problem at all - all the folks on here have been super nice to me over the years (with all my dumb questions etc) just returning the favor.

Hope the copper gaskets work though (don't mind sending the manifolds but that way it's less trouble for you)
Old 08-18-2018, 12:00 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No problem at all - all the folks on here have been super nice to me over the years (with all my dumb questions etc) just returning the favor...
Hey, don't let this guy fool you. Eric is a true gentleman, an excellent mechanic with experience on foreign and domestic cars and he is the disc brake pioneer who we used to finally tweak our front disk brake system.

Eric used Granada spindles on his Squarebird when there was no Disc kit available for a Squarebird. Based on his retrofit, I used the same Granada spindles on our '55 Ford Customline based on his build. (Huge improvement).

We also looked at his brake booster carryover as a possibility, in case we couldn't find a stronger booster. Eric uses a combination proportioning valve as well. I would never suggest a disc/drum retrofit without one.

It was Eric's innovations and experience that got us going in the right direction. Thank You for sharing your retrofit, DKheld. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-18-2018, 11:24 PM
Super-Experienced

Many thanks Dave - don't deserve all that - but many thanks.