No announcement yet.

alternator wiring problem

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

alternator wiring problem

I was wondering if anybody has ever had this problem before ....I just recently did a 3g alternator conversion and when I plugged in everything to test it out I noticed that the car started running really rough and misfiring more than usual...I plugged in the B+ wire from the alternator to the battery side of the starter solenoid and the "I" wire from the alternator to the "I" wire that was on the starter solenoid......
    Attached Files
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I'm pretty sure the "I" terminal should be wired to the generator light on the dash. Connect it to the thin Yellow/Black wire that was on the old voltage regulator harness.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

will do, thanks...

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Let's talk about your Starter Solenoid.
        It has two small posts, "I" for 'ignition', and "S" for 'start'.

The 'I' wire goes to your coil (+) and nowhere else.
        The 'S' wire comes from your Neutral Switch. This wire energizes the Starter Solenoid's coil to make the Starter Motor turn.

The 'I' wire simply bypasses the resistance from your key and it keeps +12 on your ignition coil whenever the Starter Motor is engaged. (The only reason you don't use this post is if you have an aftermarket solid state ignition system like a Pertronix, Excel, etc. Electronic systems need full 12-volts whenever the key is on.)

The Yellow/Black wire that formerly went to your old Voltage Regulator's 'A' post, comes from your GEN light. If you have an external regulator, John is right about that wire connecting to the new regulator's "I" post (it does NOT go to the Starter Solenoid).

I hope this helps. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎