Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking the key Cylinder out of the Ignition.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jackbird60
    Experienced
    • Nov 28 2008

Taking the key Cylinder out of the Ignition.

Well, two stupid things. Lost my keys and no spare. I do have a new cylinder with keys. I know you are suppose to turn the lock to the right slightly and then press down on the button but how to you do this without the key. Is there anyway to take the cylinder lock out without a key to turn it?

Thanks - Jack
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You can't do it without the key. You will have to take the ignition switch out and break the pin that holds the cylinder in place. A small punch will do it. Then the cylinder will come out.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Our locks aren't very technical or secure. Sometimes an old, well-worn cylinder will work with many keys. As you put a key in and out, up and down, finesse it with a mild turning motion. Try it at different speeds. Sometimes, it just clicks and starts turning. Once you get it turned, you can push the pin in and pull out the tumbler. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Dave is correct. I have an can of old keys and I always seem to be able to find one that will work in the ignition of a Ford with the smaller style keys.

John

Comment

• jackbird60
          Experienced
          • Nov 28 2008

Hi, Well found the spare key, and put back the Ignition module. But still don't have the trunk key. So I am grateful and will get copies made ASAP if the hard store carries that kind of key.

THE TRUNK: So I need to replace the lock there, even though I have 3 different trunk keys for a Tbird, but not that one.

Do I have to take out the back seat etc, to get at that?? Or is calling a locksmith a better way to go? I really don't feel like doing that in the winter time if they can pop it for $75 to $100.

Thanks- Jack

Comment

• jackbird60
            Experienced
            • Nov 28 2008

I guess I could take out the seat etc. I saw a video on it. There the cardboard backing, but I remember my trunk also had that very nice trunk plaid lining and I forget if that went up that high by the back seat, I think it did, and I not sure if it's button clips or what. Do you guys know? I know I need to build a long extension to reach those 2 trunk bolts. trunk bolts.

Thanks-Jack

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

There's no trunk lining material that high. Just the cardboard.

John

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎