X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • p38fighter
    Super-Experienced
    • Oct 14 2016

Interior Color Cards and yard goods.

Does anyone know where to get vinyl swatch cards of all the interior colors for 59 and 60? Some of the usual suppliers will send out 1 or 2 specific samples but don't seem interested in the whole set. And one will only send a printed sheet of paper. I know there are variations in the Reds from year to year.

Also I've asked 3 times if the suppliers will also sell yard goods for things like the center console and the dash wings etc. But have been told no each time. Doesn't make sense to me. I don't want to try to color match with dyes based on past experiences. And my console cover is a wreck anyway. I've talked to a good upholsterer I know but a full custom interior is likely to be very pricey..

How did you all handle these issues?
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Interior Color Cards and yard goods.

Chris, if you have not talked with Don at the Bird Nest, call him and run that by him. If you already have, then I do not know what to tell you. I did not have that problem because I had my interior completely redone from scratch and did not have to match anything.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Yadkin
      Banned
      • Aug 11 2012

Why not get a quote from a local auto upholsterer to do the whole interior? You might be pleasantly surprised at the price, especially if you do the parts removal and installation yourself.

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

To my knowledge Larry's and Thunderbird Headquarters are the only ones that make the Thunderbird seat covers. I doubt that the other vendors will have the material you are looking for. Do you already have new seat covers and door panels. If so and you are dead set against using dyes then I would take a small sample of the red material to an upholstery shop and see if you can match it. I'm sure they will have or be able to get something close. As for recovering your console and dogleg pieces it's not as easy as it may seem. There's more to it than just ripping off the old vinyl and gluing new. You also have to cover the ash trays. Then you have to find a paint color to match the speaker grill and spray that. What about your dash pad and the lower trim pieces? How are you going to match that with everything else. I always use SEM vinyl dyes and with the right prep have never had a problem. The Thunderbird vendors carry a SEM red that's supposed to be a match. I usually use SEM Portola red with the red and white interiors and have been happy with the results. If your console has significant gouges in the vinyl I would contact Carl Heller (partsetal) and see if he has a better one. If cost is an issue then dying your interior pieces is the best option. If money is no object then have an upholstery shop do it.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• p38fighter
          Super-Experienced
          • Oct 14 2016

Upholstery

Thanks for the responses. Both T-Bird HQ and Larry's have said no to selling yard goods or any alteration of the factory schemes. I have not yet ordered an interior.
          LaBaron Bonney is close to me and I'll probably take a drive out there with a sample and see what if anything they have. I do have a new white dash pad waiting its turn for me to get to and I acknowledge that dye may be in my future. My local auto body supply has SEM.

The local upholstery shop (I've used them 2X before) and I are meeting in a few weeks to see what they can offer. I'm 6 months into an estimated 18-24 month project so there is no rush.

Thanks again

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Your welcome. If you have any questions as well as if you need parts Carl Heller is a good person to PM or email. He's been doing concours quality restorations for years and knows what and what not to use if you want to get a perfect factory interior.

John
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎