No announcement yet.

denman white wall tires

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

denman white wall tires

I have run denman G78 14 4 inch white walls on my 1960 T-bird since I restored it some 15 years ago. I have read that denmans are no longer made and my tires are getting old. I will need to replace them and as result might need to change my rims as well. There are so many nice looking Thunderbirds on the site it's hard to chose which comination I should go with. I have Califorina smoothe's on my car now. I am concerned with the size of the white wall. What would be the period correct white wall size and where would I be able to get them.
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

It's funny you should mention classic tires, as lnoska & I were just discussing coker tires.

Coker has been around forever, I understand they have all the licenses and molds for making the old bias-ply tires from the period. They also sell radial tires that LOOK like bias ply.

So, which one is the best? I think it depends on your taste. Ray Clark uses simple 'dog dish' hubcaps that allow his yellow rims to jump out.

Other members prefer a wide white wall (from before 1960). Coker tires are not cheap but the width of their white walls are the same price.
    <--click on the picture
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Dakota Boy
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 30 2009

one other source (saw their ad in my little Hagerty insurance magazine that arrived a few weeks ago):

We have been your trusted source for vintage and classic car tires, tubes, and accessories since 1957. Browse our California tire shop today.
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

2 1/4 is the correct whitewall size. As mentioned Coker and Universal tires has all the period correct 800x14 size tires including Goodyear and BF Goodrich as well as their own brand. G78x14 is the same as 800x14. I believe the P215/75/14 radials only come in 2 1/2 whitewall.
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• DKheld
          Super-Experienced
          • Aug 27 2008

I've had my tires for about 8-10 years and have been very happy with them. Moved them from the original wheels to the LTD wheels when I changed to disc brakes and they survived the change. They sell a newer tread style these days.

At the time these tires were about 1/2 the price of Coker and since the company was fairly close - the shipping was cheaper as well. When I received them the shipper had badly damaged 2 of them (looked like they had been run over with a fork lift). Called Diamond Back. They shipped 2 more tires that day along with an RMA for the damaged ones rather than having me wait for the old ones to be returned.

Things could have changed in the years since I bought my tires but I'll definitely consider them when purchasing a new set.

Eric
          registry 5347

Diamond Back Classic Tires is an online tire shop that creates custom tires for classic cars. Diamond Back creates white wall tires, redline tires, blueline tires, goldline tires and other vintage tires for pre-1976 vehicles including Corvettes, Mustangs, prewar cars, postwar cars, European cars and more.

Don't have a good side view close-up of the tires but since the tread design has changed it would probably be better to view them on the web site. Mine are 215 75 14

Comment

• lawyercalif
            Experienced
            • May 12 2011

A little off the subject but DK mentioned LTD wheels with his disc brake conversion. What year LTD wheel?

Comment

• DKheld
              Super-Experienced
              • Aug 27 2008

Never saw the car the LTD wheels came from but was given that information from the junkyard dealer. He said they came from a mid 70's LTD - that's all I know.

I always thought the LTD was a good source as an alternate wheel for a disc conversion but newer wheels are easier to find and probably cheaper - like Ford Ranger - put all the info that was stamped on my wheels in the disc brake conversion discussion. Scan through the discussion (might take a few days ) but has tons of info...... or search the forum archives on "disc".

This Forum is for the discussion of adding a dual Master Cylinder, Dual 8" Power Booster, and Power Front Disc Brakes to the 1958, 1959 and 1960 Squarebird.

Eric
              registry 5347

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Originally posted by lawyercalif
                ...What year LTD wheel?
                Any year that used disk brakes. Bronco's work too.
                Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• bird 60
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Mar 18 2009

I chose Cokers P225/75/14 Radials. They are very quiet & the handling is superb. How they wear I don't know as I've only had them for almost a year & only cover about 2K a year. The closest size to the originals is P215/75/14.

Chris....From OZ.

Comment

• dgs
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Feb 13 2003

Another consideration is the sidewall design. Before I bought my wheels, I was looking at wide white radials between Coker and Diamond Back. One of them had a raised black lip on the side wall just outside the white wall, the other did not. This would have protected the white wall in case you got too close to a curb. I don't remember which was which.

On sizes, the 215/75R14 radials are considered as a replacement for the 800-14s, but they are actually wider and almost an inch shorter. The 225/75R14 radials are considered replacements for the optional 850-14s, but they are also wider and shorter. Members have reported running both without issues.
                    DGS (aka salguod)
                    1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
                    www.salguod.net

Comment

• Anders
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jan 19 2008

I choosed the same as "bird 60", the Cooker P225/75/14 Radial ( http://store.cokertire.com/p215-75r1...whitewall.html ), and I understand it´s the most "original" without going bias-ply. Works and looks fine. Very happy with them
                      Attached Files
                      sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
                      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• Howard Prout
                        Experienced
                        • Feb 11 2009

One issue you might want to consider when getting new whitewall tires is how the whitewalls are "made". My understanding is that Coker tires are made with the whitewall included as part of the molding process whereas Diamondback tires are made by various suppliers as blackwall tires and then the whitewalls are applied (vulcanized?) onto the blackwall tires when you order the tires which is the reason you can specify what width of whitewall you want.
                        sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• RustyNCa
                          Super-Experienced
                          • May 31 2007

Originally posted by Howard Prout
                          One issue you might want to consider when getting new whitewall tires is how the whitewalls are "made". My understanding is that Coker tires are made with the whitewall included as part of the molding process whereas Diamondback tires are made by various suppliers as blackwall tires and then the whitewalls are applied (vulcanized?) onto the blackwall tires when you order the tires which is the reason you can specify what width of whitewall you want.
                          Yep, that is how I understand the two companies. We are running the dbtires on our 65 special and are very happy with them. We went with them becuase they were the only place that carried the size I wanted to run. I didn't go period correct at all, I went with staggered sizes and the largest sizes I could find and stuff on the car in a 15" tire.

As to how the white wall has held up for us, great, they are still very nice and white, seem to clean up easy.

If fact they told me to clean them don't ever use tire bleach or whitener, only use a mild soap or something of that nature. And if the mar on the white is tough, hit the white with some fine sandpaper, I have yet to need to try that.

Cheers
                          RustyNCA

Comment

• Howard Prout
                            Experienced
                            • Feb 11 2009

As far as I know, DB is the only option for 2 1/4" whitewalls, but they have to be special ordered. If you look at the DB web page, they show 225/70-14 with a 2 1/2" whitewall but there is a note saying that narrower whitewalls can be ordered.
                            sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• Restifier52
                              Experienced
                              • Jul 26 2011

My tires and wheels were mounted today. I got lucky with good weather. 16x8 with 235/60/16 by Vogue. I had convinced myself that the extra $100 plus per tire for wide whites was better spent elsewhere. We will see. My response to the photos I just took is less than enthusiastic. I'm sure it will look better when the ride height is corrected. By the way most of my underhood issues are sorted out. After a timing adjustment and some fresh oil, I will be ready for spring. Dave you are so right. Just putting it in gear breaks the tires loose if you even nudge the throttle. Maybe these tires wont last long enough for me to care how they look
                              Attached Files
                              1960 HT
                              Thunderbird Registry #35780

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎