Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 59 roachero
    • Dec 10 2011

trying to find if it is a 332 or a 352

i just bought a 59 ranchero, at some time the door plate was removed & replaced with a plate from a 59 courier or a "courier sedan" i cannot find the additional stamped vin or "serial" number on the frame, i was told it was on the frame forward of the engine on the passenger side, cannot see anything, am i looking in the wrong place?
  • redstangbob
    Experienced
    • Feb 18 2011

I found this http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=174711 Good luck, Bob c

Comment

• tbird430
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 18 2007

332cid stroke was shorter too.

Someone on here just last week had a great ideal about removing a spark plug and measuring the piston height inside the cylinder at TDC.

They said there was roughly a 0.25" difference between the 352cid & the 332cid- or was it the 390cid??
      sigpic
      The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

You're on the right track, the vin number on my 1959 is stamped on the top of the frame, (RH) passenger side near the firewall and again on the #2 crossmember.

FE engines are nearly impossible to ID. The only saving grace is the difference in stroke.

If you put the timing mark on TDC, you can pull #1 and #4 plugs and stick a dowl down the holes. While #1 is at TDC, #4 is at BDC.

Stick the dowel down #1 until it stops and mark it at the valve cover flange (it's a constant). Then, pull it out and stick it down #4 hole marking it at the valve cover flange again. Measure the distance between your marks on the dowel.

332 stroke = 3.30"
        352 stroke = 3.50"
        390 stroke = 3.78"
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎