X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Yellow Rose - A Garage Queen??

I am beginning to wonder if my Rose is not a "garage queen"! I started her up yesterday to take her to the painters to get those "paint blemishes" checked out that she was cited for on her first showing. When I kicked over the starter, I heard a Ca-Ching sound for a few seconds and it went away. I am sitting there behind the wheel wondering, "What the heck was that!?" Since it went away right off the bat, I backed her out of the garage. I turned her off, and went into the house to secure it. When I came back, I started her again. This time it was a lot more than just a Ca-Ching sound going on! There was all kinds of noise and sounds! I am sitting there wondering if my transmission just went out, threw a rod, broke a piston, or if my fan came loose or what! I turned her off, opened the hood, and like anyone who has no knowledge at all about automobiles, stuck my head under the hood and looked for anything that might look wrong. You know, giant python wrapped around the engine or starter, a flood of biblical proportions pouring out of the engine block, or radiator, fan hanging down behind the radiator, etc.. Anything that might give me a clue as to what just happened. Seeing nothing leaking all over the driveway, and not seeing anything looking wrong, I started her again. Same thing! I shut her down fast.

I called for a flatbed wrecker to have her hauled in. Some three-four hours later, after got lost once or twice trying to find my place, I had her at the shop. I explained what happened and their lead mechanic said it sounded like the Bendix output drive shaft did not get out of the way after the engine kicked over. He pulled the cover off the bottom of the fly wheel, shown a flashlight up there and you could see the Bendix still stuck out. You could also see where it was scraping around the flywheel as it turned. After looking things over real well, he said it looks like the flywheel is okay but not the starter.

This was right at closing time. This morning he pulled the starter and sent it to the company they use to rebuild them and other things like fuel pumps. They said the output drive snapped right in two, and it was a fairly new one. I had the starter overhauled last year. They have to order some parts and should have it fixed by Tuesday. So it looks like the only damage that they can see so far, is a broken starter... I hope that was all. Apparently, she likes to be safe in the garage! I hope she gets over that because she is supposed to go to her second show next Saturday! Better to have happened in my driveway, I guess, than on the road.
    Last edited by YellowRose; September 3, 2010, 05:28 PM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • Yellowbird
    Experienced

• Jun 18 2009

Ray,
    Sorry to hear about your problem. Please, please, tell the owner of the shop NOT to let anyone under the age of 40 drive Rose!!!!

Leonard
    sigpic

Comment

• frank58
      Super-Experienced
      • May 28 2006

Originally posted by Yellowbird
      Ray,
      Please, please, tell the owner of the shop NOT to let anyone under the age of 40 drive Rose!!!!
      Leonard
      Amen to that..........

Hey Ray, after all Rose has been through,
      a starter is just a minor distraction.

Comment

• LuckyJay
        • Jan 4 2007

Sometimes royalty can be a pain... better a garage Queen than a trailer Queen. Best wishes. Hoping to take Tammi to the Iowa Great Lakes tomorrow.

Comment

• scumdog
          Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Fingers crossed that (a) it is easily fixed and (b) does not cost too many $$$!

(And that this time your car is in the same shape you last saw it in when you next see it!!!)
          A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• JohnG
            John
            • Jul 28 2003

You snapped the shaft in two??? Ray, I gotta ask: what kind of battery are you using these days ???
            1958 Hardtop
            #8452 TBird Registry
            http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
            history:
            http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

`
              Ray
              Glad it is just a small repair, The Queen just wanted to let you know who is Boss.

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Thanks for all the comments! No, I don't think they will let anyone near that car except the owner, and the lead mechanics anymore! Yesterday, when they had to push her into the bay to check her out, they put on rubber gloves or grabbed big towels to put over the paint or chrome before they started pushing her. The shop manager put on rubber gloves to get behind the wheel to steer her in. Of course, she has her work seat covers in place while she is there.

As for the battery, I think it is an Interstate. I really don't remember for sure. It is the battery that we put in her on the way back from Mississippi nearly 3 years ago when the car died on us in western Houston. The battery was not being charged and it ran down and had to be replaced. That battery has not see a lot of use considering that Rose has spent most of those nearly three years in one shop or another being worked on and restored. What is it about a battery that might have caused this? They are going to send the Bendix back just as they found it when they got it to work on. That was a new output drive shaft they put in about a year ago when the starter had to be rebuilt. Hopefully I will get it back in time to go to another car show this next weekend.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• JohnG
                  John
                  • Jul 28 2003

Just kidding on the battery!!! (the implication being that the battery was so mighty that the sheer torque it exerted snapped your shaft in two)

John
                  1958 Hardtop
                  #8452 TBird Registry
                  http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                  history:
                  http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

John thanks for your explanation, as I too was wondering what the type of battery had to do with the Bendix Ray you are correct it's better to have it happen in the driveway than on the open road. I have made a point of always parking our cars on a flat surface, as they DO NOT like starting on an angle especially on an uphill grade.One of many design flaws with the old girls from Ford!!
                    Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                    Thunderbird Registry
                    58HT #33317
                    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Anders
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by YellowRose
                      When I kicked over the starter, I heard a Ca-Ching sound for a few seconds and it went away. I am sitting there behind the wheel wondering, "What the heck was that!?" Since it went away right off the bat, I backed her out of the garage. I turned her off, and went into the house to secure it. When I came back, I started her again. This time it was a lot more than just a Ca-Ching sound going on! There was all kinds of noise and sounds! I am sitting there wondering if my transmission just went out, threw a rod, broke a piston, or if my fan came loose or what! I turned her off, opened the hood, and like anyone who has no knowledge at all about automobiles, stuck my head under the hood and looked for anything that might look wrong. You know, giant python wrapped around the engine or starter, a flood of biblical proportions pouring out of the engine block, or radiator, fan hanging down behind the radiator, etc.. Anything that might give me a clue as to what just happened. Seeing nothing leaking all over the driveway, and not seeing anything looking wrong, I started her again. Same thing! I shut her down fast.
                      Sad, but yet so funny written
                      It sounds just like it was me and my car
                      sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
                      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

Hey Ray,
                        Sounds familiar! Ever thought about changing her name to CHRISTINE?
                        I tell you these old farts of a cars have fellings
                        Richard D. Hord

Comment

• YellowRose
                          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Rose is home again, preening herself in the garage. Yesterday a new starter went on her and the tranny linkage problems were fixed. Now she locks into Park and stays there. Proper adjustment of the linkage fixed that problem it seems. It seems to be fine now. She is resting, waiting to be taken out Saturday morning so she can strut her stuff at her second car show.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                            Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Ray glad to hear Rose is back and okay. I presume that she has the " new " detent plate installed as well
                            Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                            Thunderbird Registry
                            58HT #33317
                            60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• YellowRose
                              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

"Queenie" is back in the garage after a full day of work today. She strutted her stuff at the car show in Seguin today. She received tons of positive comments regarding her beauty. It is a wonder I could even get her back in the garage this evening with the big head she must have.

However, the judges did not see it the same way as the other car owners and the public did. She got 3rd Place again. I was hoping for a little upward movement in the standings. Instead of trophies, the award plaques. So now I have a trophy and a plaque.

I asked the judges if I could get a copy of their scoring of her, but they do not provide scoring to the car owners. I made a statement that if I had the scoring then that would help me make the necessary improvements to her. I doubt if I will go to this event again. It was a good event, but hot as all get out. I did make some new friends though. Later on this weekend, I will put a web page together so you can see the other cars. I am tired out from this one and hope to call it an early night. There is another car show in the morning here in San Antoni, but I am gonna pass on that. I have to get Red Rose out and run her around the back and front yard and get my grass cut. It is high because of all the rain we got from that tropical storm that went right through San Antonio earlier in the week.

She did well on the trip, and yes, there is a new detent plate in her. That was not the problem though. The problem was down in the linkage at the transmission. It appears that they have fixed it.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎