• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rob Sumowski
    Apprentice
    • Aug 21 2010

What type of motor oil do you use?

Hi Guys,

Would y'all please tell me the types of motor oil you use in your Squarebirds?

My 1958 has a 352/300. I have seen some articles- even one in a classic car magazine- touting Pennzoil Ultra, which is a synthetic, as one of the better choices. I imagine different people have different opinions on the motor oil topic.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Rob

Hey Rob,
    The suggestions are going to be across the board! So here is my two cents worth. 10 w 30 and add zinc (some auto parts stores still carry this)
    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

What type of motor oil do you use?

Rob, this subject has been covered in great detail in the past, including which oil filters are best. Click on the link to the Technical Resource Library (found in the TRL Forum above this) and scroll down until you get to the section on Oil. There you will find several links to this subject, including all the discussions we have had in the past about who is using what, which oil and filter are best, etc..

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

I use Shell Rotella-T 15W-40 in my flat tappet Y-blocks. It already has enough ZDDP as do most oils with '40' or more in the numbers. Synthetic isn't going to help unless you have a turbocharged engine with HIGH heat.
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Rigormortor
          Experienced
          • Mar 5 2010

I just changed the oil today, used Quakerstate high mileage and a can of the Silver "Engine Restore" That stuff works great, if your burning oil this will stop it and restore the compression.
          On Cardomain - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3841411

Comment

• Anders
            Super-Experienced
            • Jan 19 2008

After reading all of the old treads about this subject, I have tryed my best to chase up zinc or ZDDP here in Sweden. Have talked to the ones who import Castrol and most other oils, but no-one have any zinc or similar for additional security of the engines. Even the companies, big ones, that import oils or other parts for American cars have anything.
            Funny enough, they have never hade any requests for it either. I remember that there was one Castrol oil with some extra-extra zinc in it, but that one is not legal in Europe at all....
            Only the "normal ones" with some small amounts in it. Castrol seems very popular, but I have used 76 without no real reason except I like the 76 logotype.....

The only thing some is putting in, is those who need some extra led or substitute for extra led in the petrol.
            Last edited by Anders; October 12, 2010, 06:27 PM.
            sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
            http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

Another vote for Rotella ...

I use it in all flat tappet applications. Mike

Comment

• byersmtrco
                Super-Experienced
                • Sep 28 2004

GM Eng oil supl # 1052367 still has some zinc. You can run that as a addt'v w/dino oil.

I just run Mobile-1 10/30. I change it once a year (or so)
                No need to worry about additives w/ synth oil.

I run Mob 1 in all the cars. I run Amsoil in the Harley's (20/50 air cooled) and 5/30 in the Ford V10 Mtr home.

Comment

• fomoco59
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jun 10 2005

Ditto on the Shell Rotella for me. You can pick it up at WalMart.
                  sigpic
                  Mike Lemmon
                  '59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461

Comment

• Rigormortor
                    Experienced
                    • Mar 5 2010

Originally posted by fomoco59
                    Ditto on the Shell Rotella for me. You can pick it up at WalMart.
                    I was using Shell Rotella since I put a new engine in my 59 Dodge, very high in zinc. Plus I add the blue STP bottle of ZDDP zinc. I just added the ZDDP to the Bird last night. Many people I talk to claim the Rotella will destroy your engine.... I dont know why they think that. Diesel oil is better than car oil.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

Rotella claims to be a 'low ash' oil. That bothered me until I realized that everything that burns leaves ash.

Piston rings rotate (by design) and at some point all the gaps line up, sending a blow torch of flames to the bottom of your engine.

Rotella is designed for very severe service and it already contains 1,500-PPM of zinc. I've had good service from it in my classic Fords, and my original cams are like new. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Rigormortor
                        Experienced
                        • Mar 5 2010

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                        Rotella claims to be a 'low ash' oil. That bothered me until I realized that everything that burns leaves ash.

Piston rings rotate (by design) and at some point all the gaps line up, sending a blow torch of flames to the bottom of your engine.

Rotella is designed for very severe service and it already contains 1,500-PPM of zinc. I've had good service from it in my classic Fords, and my original cams are like new. - Dave
                        So you have been using Rotella for a while then? Should I start using it in my T-Bird with 96K miles on it?

Comment

• simplyconnected
                          Administrator
                          • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Rigormortor
                          ...Should I start using it in my T-Bird with 96K miles on it?
                          It's very good protection for your engine regardless if you have 96 or 96,000 miles.

15W-40 Rotella-T is a detergent oil (due to the phosphorus content) and it protects your flat tappets and cam lobes (due to the zinc). I change my oil every three thousand miles whether it needs it or not. That gives me an opportunity to look around under the engine & suspension area, check all the hoses, and grease the zirks.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• '59 Jim
                            • Jun 17 2010

I'm using Rotella now, because of the recommendations of the folks on this site. I got zinc additive from e-bay if you think you want to use that too.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎