X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • arkrider410
    • Dec 20 2009

1964-1966 modles

Im new here so got a question for yall.
    Whats the different models of flair birds and whats the difference?
  • scumdog
    Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by arkrider410
    Im new here so got a question for yall.
    Whats the different models of flair birds and whats the difference?
    Best to use google and various T-bird sites and find out, there's way too many differences to list here!
    A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

1964-1966 models

Good Morning, James,

There were three different models of Flairbirds. The Hardtop, the Landau and the Convertible. To learn more about what each offered in the way of standard features and optional features, one of the best websites to give you all that information is Automotive Mile Posts. Here is the link to the page that will allow you to select different years of Tbirds.

You can select the '64, '65 and '66 Tbirds, look at the production numbers, engines, standard features, optional features, see various features of them, look at the interiors offered, on the '64, for example. Then you can do the same for the '65 and the '66 by changing years. The only major external difference between the three years, that I am aware of, is the long winged Tbird on the grill of the '66, which I like a lot. Internally, the Landau has some features that the Hardtop does not have. It is a bit more fancier inside the car. However, as I said in another post, I never did like that scroll design on the side of the Landau car. But to each their own.

Hope this helps!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Hey James,
        Below are pictures of the three years! Of course I know you have seen them because you are looking for one of the three. The red 1964, the white 1965 and the blue 1966. The only thing different on the three on the outside is placement of chrome on the side, the taillights and the grill bumper area. The bodies are all basically the same. Three fine specimens of the Ford Thunderbird!
        Here are some of the things I found: '64 Thunderbird, Thunderbird logo across hood, Thunderbird script on front fenders and taillights had Birds on them. '65 Thunderbird, had fake vent on front fenders or swoosh, Thunderbird logo on rear quarter panels, Bird was put on hood, vertical chrome added to taillights and eight vertical chrome pieces added to grill. '66 Thunderbird, upper chrome bumper in front removed, hood scoop changed, Bird added to grill, Thunderbird logo on rear quarter panels and taillights changed!
        A good place to go and look at the difference between the '64 '65 & '66 is Ebay, they have several on there for sale!!!
        Richard D. Hord
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Guest; December 20, 2009, 11:17 AM.

Comment

• arkrider410
          • Dec 20 2009

thanks that was the info i was after

Comment

Hey James,
            You are more than welcome! Now there were some changes in the interior also, did not have time to get that information for ya! Had Honey Do list
            Richard D. Hord

Comment

• RustyNCa
              Super-Experienced
              • May 31 2007

Originally posted by YellowRose
              However, as I said in another post, I never did like that scroll design on the side of the Landau car. But to each their own.
              What you don't like the side of my special....... wow you are mean..... thems fighting words

Comment

• RustyNCa
                Super-Experienced
                • May 31 2007

Originally posted by arkrider410
                thanks that was the info i was after
                Also, the 64 didn't have disc brakes like the 65 and 66 and I don't think it had the brake-lights that move across the back, can't think of what to call them

Comment

• h-bomb
                  • Dec 21 2009

Originally posted by RustyNCa
                  the brake-lights that move across the back, can't think of what to call them
                  "Sequential"

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

1964-1966 Models

Hi James,

My suggestion to you would be to go to the Automotive Mile Posts website referenced below. Print out all the information regarding the 1964, 1965 and 1966 models. Then put each section side by side, to see what the '65 offered over the '64 and the '66 offered over the '64 and the '65....

To me, I would want a Flairbird that had disc brakes. The '64 did not. I like the sequential turn signals. The '64 did not have them. Take a look at the engines offered. The '64 & '65, as I recall, only had the 300hp Z engine offered. In '66, they offered at 315hp Z engine, and the Q Code 428 engine! So if you want a more powerful engine, you might consider the 1966 with a higher rated Z code engine or the Q code 428. Plus, here is something else to consider. The 428 came with the C6 transmission.... Something that many Tbirders on here have swapped out their COM for... Plus, there are several other new features on the 1966 Flairbird that the '64 & '65 did not have.... So, you might want to do as I suggested above and see which of the three years really turns your crank!

Now, Bryan, I liked your Flairbird with the scroll device well enough to select it for the 2010 Squarebirds calendar! Speaking of that guys, I only have a few left, so if you want one, you had better let me know quickly.
                    Last edited by YellowRose; December 21, 2009, 10:28 PM.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• RustyNCa
                      Super-Experienced
                      • May 31 2007

Originally posted by YellowRose
                      H James,

My suggestion to you would be to go to the Automotive Mile Posts website referenced below. Print out all the information regarding the 1964, 1965 and 1966 models. Then put each section side by side, to see what the '65 offered over the '64 and the '66 offered over the '64 and the '65....

To me, I would want a Flairbird that had disc brakes. The '64 did not. I like the sequential turn signals. The '64 did not have them. Take a look at the engines offered. The '64 & '65, as I recall, only had the 300hp Z engine offered. In '66, they offered at 315hp Z engine, and the Q Code 428 engine! So if you want a more powerful engine, you might consider the 1966 with a higher rated Z code engine or the Q code 428. Plus, here is something else to consider. The 428 came with the C6 transmission.... Something that many Tbirders on here have swapped out their COM for... Plus, there are several other new features on the 1966 Flairbird that the '64 & '65 did not have.... So, you might want to do as I suggested above and see which of the three years really turns your crank!

Now, Bryan, I liked your Flairbird with the scroll device well enough to select it for the 2010 Squarebirds calendar! Speaking of that, I only have a few left, so if you want one, you had better let me know quickly.
                      ... not offended, just thought you needed some ribbing... I received a calender really really quickly after ordering one, how did you do that by the way. It is very cool to have one of my cars in a calendar, now I just need to get old bigbird as my kids call it fixed up nice.

Comment

• YellowRose
                        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

1964-1966 Models

Ummm, Bryan... I hand delivered it to your mailbox? lmbo! "Neither rain, nor snow, nor sleet will delay the delivery of Squarebirds Calendars"... Or something like that...

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎